Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google Phone VR Train Hipster DBaggyness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google Phone VR Train Hipster DBaggyness
    Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 3:34am
"Google..show me KOREAN RESTAURANTS" in BOULDER Co as we RAINBOW COALITION Hipster CoWorkers ride a TRAIN and then Use our new GOOGLE PHONES strapped into a retarded HEADSET for VIRTUAL REALITY funzies!
Could this ad be any more douchey and MODREEN? Crikey its like being imprisoned on the planet HIPSTORIA
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 3:48am
And little miss 'new-to-virtual-reality' uses the new, yet already over-used line:  "How is this possible?!!!"
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 3:10am
They are overplaying this one...I've seen it at least 3 times during World Series Game 7.
I DID notice this is either a very politically-correct commercial, or they forgot to provide the women any breasts.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 4:10pm
Honestly, this one doesn't bother me.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 4:45pm
Its very subtle in its 'oh we are SO cool and trendy' approach--but what business people take the TRAIN anywhere in the West? Its all too precious
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Honestly, this one doesn't bother me.
Shocked"How is this possible?!!!"
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:24pm
You people have me pretty confused...is this it?

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 6:53pm
^^^Nawww - this one:

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 7:04pm
Well thanks, PaW.

And thanks to tiki(douche)bagger for getting the brand name wrong!

What is MODREEN?, anyway!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

Its very subtle in its 'oh we are SO cool and trendy' approach--but what business people take the TRAIN anywhere in the West? Its all too precious
Shocked...uhhhhh, Tbag? LOTS of business people take the train everywhere - trust me.
And aka, he kinda got the name right - it is a Google Pixel phone.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Shocked...uhhhhh, Tbag? LOTS of business people take the train everywhere - trust me.

You're right.  But I wasted a lot of time looking!

the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 2:39pm
Barely-coherent rant time (I'll try to avoid making an unreadable wall of it... you've been warned!):

I have hated popular fashion (read: "trends") since around the 6th grade, which is about the point where I started to become cognizant of them. It's all fine and good when you're a mindless kid with no perspective on anything to blindly follow trends, and I certainly did. In some cases, even into high school. I thought those dumb jelly bracelets looked so cool! I'd seen them for years on "cool, alternative types", even before they became every suburban high schooler's alt-fashion wet dream in the early-mid 00's. So, apart from being a mindless idiot teenager, I did at least have some basis for thinking they looked "cool", despite them being a thoroughly trendy fad, in my defense. I'm still embarrassed about it, though.

FWIW, I get that styles/mannerisms naturally rub off on people in groups, and I bow to my own set "scene cliches", but that's not really what I'm complaining about, because I consider them genuine aspects of my personal/cultural taste and identity, not something that changes every couple of years, once they're no longer considered "fashionable". What I am complaining about is the idea of manufactured, mainstream, sanitized "hipness". What I'm complaining about is the people who desperately want to believe it even exists. It simply doesn't, outside of media and advertising.

I get that we're social animals. I understand that, at the most base level, we're motivated by the desire to procreate, which seems to be at the root of this kind of behavior. There's a need to belong, and yet feel simultaneously "special". If you feel special, you will feel more self-confident, despite conforming to be exactly like the majority of people in your culture. By way of this sort of doublethink, you stand a higher chance of impressing a larger range of similarly generic, "special" people with whom you might procreate.

Even (or perhaps because of) understanding all of this, I still get irritated seeing people around me, including people I love, value and think of as friends and intelligent, all-around good human beings, blindly, even gleefully, morph themselves along with the pop. fashion hive-mind. I can't force myself to do it, particularly when the machinations of it are so glaringly transparent to me. I'd feel like a complete jackass. The mere idea of consciously choosing a style or adopting new tastes simply because they are de rigueur is impossible, nauseating, even infuriating, for me. And I can't help but secretly loathe that part of the people who do it. I know that sounds very hateful, but I can't help it.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out who the hell I am, and I still haven't got the answer. I hate how people think they can just "be" something without investing a similar amount of time, exploration and introspection. Following trends just reeks of complacency and inauthenticity. It makes me suspicious of people's integrity as individuals. I feel I can't trust they are ever being "their true selves" when they completely alter their appearances and attitudes and interests every few years to coincide with the "next big thing". No, you can just buy what's "hip" and suddenly you're "unique" and "cool" and "interesting" and "special". No effort needed in the personality department. You might be a lot of fun, a really nice person, but chances are, you're not very substantial beyond that. You're probably a lot like one of those "cool adults" on TV, who are actually insecure, desperate people just beyond the "hip" facade.

I guess what I'm trying to drive at is the commonly held belief that that you can exude "coolness" and "hip individuality" by being guy #2359803680239570235 to get the Hitlerjugend-haircut/hobo-beard combo that's so f'ing "hot" right now drives me completely insane. I really, really don't get how someone can consciously do this and not feel stupid or secretly embarrassed. That is precisely why I loathe these kinds of "cool adult" cartoons in popular culture and advertising.

You can't be mindlessly trendy and still expect me to take you seriously when you act like a self-righteously narcissistic, loud, attention-seeking jerk all at once. You're either a perfectly acceptable, normal, boring person, or you're an aberrant weirdo who "normies" consider eccentric, and probably unemployable. Neither is "right" or "wrong", "good" or "bad". You just simply cannot have it both ways, IMHO. It's one or the other, not both. Most of these "cool adults" are desperate to be seen as anything but old. So, they act like they're still in high school to cover their own insecurities about aging by being super "fun" and "vivacious" and "on the pulse" of current, vacuous trends. And it just rubs most "normal" people  as childish and immature, and most "genuine weirdos" as being offensively disingenuous.

In the real world, we look at them as sad, desperate losers. In the topsy-turvy world of advertising, EVERYONE'S THIS COOL ALL THE TIME! AND YOU CAN BE TOO (It only costs you your dignity and this month's paycheck)!!!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

You're right.  But I wasted a lot of time looking!

speaking of BAGGING..chheeebiz cut me some slack..like I really give a crap about these product names--their ads SUCK!
Also what I am referring to is this OBVIOUS cross state trip from CA(my guess-hipsters!) to BOULDER...the Amtrak would take like 3 DAYS where a flight? 1 1/2 hrs--a bit far fetched but these trendies are obviously too COOL for a coach flight [gag].

AND Modrene? Styx-Mr. Roboto--'I am the MODREEN man..'..the musical equivalent of bad ads
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 9:55pm
and just a footnote..this damn ad is repeated ad nauseum on both Dead shows (Talking and Walking)shown on Cox' On Demand, so my loathing for it has seriously increased due to nauseating repetition
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by the raytownian the raytownian wrote:

Barely-coherent rant time (I'll try to avoid making an unreadable wall of it... you've been warned!):

I have hated popular fashion (read: "trends") since around the 6th grade, which is about the point where I started to become cognizant of them. It's all fine and good when you're a mindless kid with no perspective on anything to blindly follow trends, and I certainly did. In some cases, even into high school. I thought those dumb jelly bracelets looked so cool! I'd seen them for years on "cool, alternative types", even before they became every suburban high schooler's alt-fashion wet dream in the early-mid 00's. So, apart from being a mindless idiot teenager, I did at least have some basis for thinking they looked "cool", despite them being a thoroughly trendy fad, in my defense. I'm still embarrassed about it, though.

Yeah, when you're that young, you don't have enough perspective to recognize the fleeting or temporaneous nature of "new" things.  Who, at the age of 5 in 1960 (when Hawaii was all the rage), didn't think hula hoops were gonna be big forever?

Good post, by the way.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic