Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avon 'This is Boss Life' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avon 'This is Boss Life' (video)
    Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 6:21pm
This is happening WAY too often. Adholes bringing back crappy old music for new commercials. Angry

I know that Avon has been around forever. I suppose if you have dozens of wealthy friends it might work. If your circle of friends is that wealthy, you probably don't need the money anyway.

I did a little research...

Can You Make Money Selling Avon?

AVON FEES and EXPENSES

The profit margin scale is based on the amount of product you sell. In order to make 50% profit, you must sell, $1501.00 in products (not specialty items) in each 2 week campaign. So tell me, who can do that? Not many people. Realistically, most will sell, between $100.00 and $200.00 per campaign and the profit on that would be 20-30% at best before supplies and fees.

Sponsored Links

LiberryGirl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiberryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 6:28pm
I had not seen that. God, that's awful.
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 7:15pm
Holy sh!t.   A yellow peacock!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 12:30am
So, 50 years of feminism has brought us to the point where women are now actually empowered by makeup.

You go, girl!  LOL

commercialssuck View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commercialssuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 5:42am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

So, 50 years of feminism has brought us to the point where women are now actually empowered by makeup.

You go, girl!  LOL

I thought the EXACT same thing. Female empowerment is whatever they want it to be at any given time.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:45pm
This one has come back to haunt me...I wonder why they use women of color? Hmmm?

the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:39pm
The thing I really hate about this commercial are the currently oh-so-trendy* early 90's-chic fashions on display. I know I harp on how much I hate blind trendiness, but this ad reeks of it, and it gets on my nerves. It doesn't bother me so much, as long as I don't have to see all the bright, colorful blazers and floral print spandex and s**t... They should add a "black out" button to TV remotes! Right next to the mute button.

*Until the baby tees and snowboarding gear of the late 90's/early 00's come back in style, and mediocre hipster Liberal Arts majors start producing "ironic" 90's Europop, re-dubbing it "Tamagotchiwave" or something, hoping to cash in on the next idiotic fad while feigning intellectualism and social commentary by "like, exposing the emptiness of consumer culture by exploiting 90's consumer culture aesthetics, or whatever" (see: Vaporcrap).
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 3:54am
Quitting your office job to sell Avon is not going to pay the bills, honey.  No benefits whatsoever.  No medical insurance.  No sick days.  No paid vacation days.  You would have to have a very large client base who are repeat customers and going from house to house, door to door, showing your wares is hard work.*  Even if they order online you are still working on fulfillment and shipping, and even if that's easy, it should only be a side job.

* They don't even have the Avon Calling doorbell or the Avon Lady coming to your door anymore, do they?  In this day and age, that could be very dangerous for a variety of reasons.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:46pm
Good Gawd WTF is this Sh**!?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Quitting your office job to sell Avon is not going to pay the bills, honey.  No benefits whatsoever.  No medical insurance.  No sick days.  No paid vacation days.  You would have to have a very large client base who are repeat customers and going from house to house, door to door, showing your wares is hard work.*  Even if they order online you are still working on fulfillment and shipping, and even if that's easy, it should only be a side job.

* They don't even have the Avon Calling doorbell or the Avon Lady coming to your door anymore, do they?  In this day and age, that could be very dangerous for a variety of reasons.

Oh, yeah. I got so sidetracked complaining about the "post-vaporwave" 90's revival fashions, I forgot to even consider what a horrible career plan crawling under the Avon pyramid is if you expect it to be anything more than a side job.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Maybe it's one of those "pyramid" style businesses in which your income mostly comes from your ability to recruit new Avon Ladies.

If you're at the top, maybe you get a pink Cadillac or something, too.

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:44pm
^ No, I don't think so.  Recruiting new Avon ladies would cut into your own business.  It's regional; you're not going to ask someone in your neighborhood to join up too, and then there's a glut of Avon ladies in the area.  I don't think Avon has ever been accused of pyramid scheming, although other home-seller brands have.  The pink Cadillac or pink car is Mary Kay Cosmetics.
CapeCat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapeCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:10pm
Dear God in Heaven!!  Is THAT what goes on at those "Avon parties"??   All those snarling women, all that twerking and bumping and grinding and bad music, all for some eyeliner that you can buy at the local drugstore or the supermarket, without any drama whatsoever.  Yikes!!  NO, NO thank you very much! Shocked
CapeCat
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 7:57pm
Jeez Louise, I'm so fed up with this commercial!

I thought it was 3 or 4 different women....No! It's the same (I'm a Boss) woman.
Sporting different hairstyles, (insert racist joke here)

STFU!!!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:47pm
Her moves remind me of Gwen Stefani's in this video...as Stefani resists going to the gas chamber.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:56pm
I would watch that video, but I can't stand the sight or sound of Gwen Stefani so I won't.

Sorry...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 11:04pm
I thought I didn't like her, too...until I heard this song (better than the 80s original) and saw the video.

Now I'm in love.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 12:00am
Love or lust?
diezman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diezman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 2:37am
Yes, I hate when they redo old songs in commercials. It is annoying. Especially for those of us that grew up when these songs were new and popular.

Aside, back in the 70s my mom was a Registered Nurse when nurses didn't get paid squat. She made a great supplement income by selling Avon. For this fact, I really can't hate this commercial that much :) 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 12:39pm
I can't stand the girl in the Avon commercial - she looks like far too many Cuban-Black girls from 'da hood who would kick any man's ass in a dark alley if he didn't buy the product. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 5:52pm
My question is: WTF was wrong with the original!?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by diezman diezman wrote:

Yes, I hate when they redo old songs in commercials. It is annoying. Especially for those of us that grew up when these songs were new and popular.

Aside, back in the 70s my mom was a Registered Nurse when nurses didn't get paid squat. She made a great supplement income by selling Avon. For this fact, I really can't hate this commercial that much :) 
Maybe so back then, with someone who worked hard at it.
 I think Avon is falsely promoting the chance for success. The commercial has become offensive...some dancing black woman with no baby daddy?  Yeah! You go girl and waste what ever the investment is. I predict, you will fail.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 5:07pm

...and it just showed again.

Why can't Avon save me from listening to bad musak remakes and watching boys who sell lipstick?

This commercial makes me all homophobic an'whatnot...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 5:25pm
This commercial really pisses me off. How ironic is it that they cast an aging caucasian woman with white hair as the "co-star"?  It's like they are saying..."Don't be this 60 year old white girl stuck in the office, GIRLFRIEND!!"

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 5:23pm

...and it just showed again.

Why can't Avon save me from listening to bad musak remakes and watching boys who sell lipstick?

This commercial makes me all homophobic an'whatnot...
...and, well, it's still showing far too often. Three times before lunch, today.
I'm now wondering if Avon staked their entire 2017 advertising budget on this one commercial, hoping to get boy and girl alike to stock their closets full of prettiness and come out a whole new ewe. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic