Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dos Equis 'The New Guy' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dos Equis 'The New Guy' (video)
    Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 7:21pm
If anyone can remember my recent post about this? Please post the link.

I'm losing my mind over here.  Confused

Sponsored Links

LiberryGirl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LiberryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 8:00pm
Don't care for the new guy, myself.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 2:44am
This guy has a long way to go to be as interesting as the old one.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 4:23am
Wow. I want a bottle of Dos Equis right now, so I can go into outer space and karate chop watermelons, like this guy. Ermm
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 4:40am
I think they went a little too action-y here.

Part of the charm of the "classic" commercials was that even their more extreme stunts they showed were leisure, calm, and non-jarring. It was a commercial that let you enjoy it instead of screaming at you.

This isn't screaming, but it's certainly raised its voice beyond "inside" levels.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:24am
^^^Well, Yea - got a valid point, PapaL.
Beside the fact they imply TMIMITW took off for outer space OLD, only to return YOUNG - a concept they could have actually done better by sending him to bath in some fountain in St. Augustine, Florida, they did get more exaggerated with their stunts.  
This new series just cannot be helping them improve their beer sales.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 9:05am
The first series' popularity just sorta happened organically.  This one seems contrived, like most movie sequels.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 4:09pm
^A BAD movie sequel. Nice analogy, Thor.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 5:54pm
Exactly what it reminds me of...a silly sequel. Like picking a new "James Bond." Or the new ongoing trend...picking a new "Colonel Sanders."Ermm

First ads worked I guess..it ran it's course, it should have ended when he took his one way trip to Mars. The end.

And this guy is younger than me, born in '75?? He looks a lot older.
Augustin Legrand
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1109880/

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 11:55pm
Anyway, I wouldn't call either of these characters "the most interesting man in the world," because I clearly don't give a rip about them. At all. So there. Tongue
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Anyway, I wouldn't call either of these characters "the most interesting man in the world," because I clearly don't give a rip about them. At all. So there. Tongue

So, since you brought it up, who would you think is the "most interesting man" in the world?

To make things more interesting, let's open up the possibilities a little.

Can be living or dead, male-female-both-or-other, doesn't to be human (per se), and doesn't even have to be the "most" interesting -- just clearly in the top five or ten.

Oh, and obviously you can't select anyone from People's list of celebrities unless you can make an iron-clad case for them.  (Which rules out George Clooney, Lady Gaga, and Giada de Laurentiis.)  Yes, I know technically Giada isn't on that list but just go with it.  :)

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 4:20pm
^^^What a day to ask that question - a day where the answer is easy. Who is the 2000-year old guy they found below (underwater and intact) and what can he tell us about the famous device found on that ship?
Human Skeleton Found on Famed Antikythera Shipwreck

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

^^^What a day to ask that question - a day where the answer is easy. Who is the 2000-year old guy they found below (underwater and intact) and what can he tell us about the famous device found on that ship?
Human Skeleton Found on Famed Antikythera Shipwreck

^ Very interesting choice.  Definitely a contender!

I'm going to go with Wolf Blitzer.
I'm curious how he can be so bad at Celebrity Jeopardy.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

I'm curious how he can have such a great name and be as dull as he is.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

I'm curious how he can have such a great name and be as dull as he is.

Agreed - he should have his given (first) name taken away.
catt_al View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 7:22pm
When he makes a commercial, he reminds you vaguely of a younger version of the previous guy. He's "The Not Very Interesting Pitchman"
ALE515 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALE515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 2:49am
Why did they get rid of the other guy anyways?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 9:01am
Originally posted by ALE515 ALE515 wrote:

As I recall, he went on a one-way trip to Mars earlier this year.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:29am

Because they wanted to appeal to a younger demographic. Seriously, that was the reason. There was apparently some (incorrect) belief that only older audiences liked the "Most Interesting Man" so they wanted a "younger" guy to replace him to appeal to a younger demographic.

Basically, they were morons on all counts. I have coworkers and friends of friends who are in their early 20s, and most of them liked the series. It was one of the few commercials the majority of people I know actually liked, it certainly wasn't just the older people. Second, since they started the ad campaign, Dos Equis is the only import beer whose sales have gone UP every year since, so the campaign actually seemed to be successful. And last of all, this new guy doesn't even come across as someone who WOULD draw a younger demographic! When the change was first announced, a lot of people feared the new guy would be some 20's hipster sort to appeal to that "younger demographic", but instead we get some guy who looks like he's trying to be a version of the original Most Interesting Man, just in his 40's rather than his 60's.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
ALE515 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALE515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Because they wanted to appeal to a younger demographic. Seriously, that was the reason. There was apparently some (incorrect) belief that only older audiences liked the "Most Interesting Man" so they wanted a "younger" guy to replace him to appeal to a younger demographic.

Basically, they were morons on all counts. I have coworkers and friends of friends who are in their early 20s, and most of them liked the series. It was one of the few commercials the majority of people I know actually liked, it certainly wasn't just the older people. Second, since they started the ad campaign, Dos Equis is the only import beer whose sales have gone UP every year since, so the campaign actually seemed to be successful. And last of all, this new guy doesn't even come across as someone who WOULD draw a younger demographic! When the change was first announced, a lot of people feared the new guy would be some 20's hipster sort to appeal to that "younger demographic", but instead we get some guy who looks like he's trying to be a version of the original Most Interesting Man, just in his 40's rather than his 60's.

That's stupid. I, like you know a lot of people young and old who love that series.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 3:11pm
Quote ...they imply TMIMITW took off for outer space OLD, only to return YOUNG - a concept they could have actually done better by sending him to bath in some fountain in St. Augustine, Florida (supposed home of 'The Fountain Of Youth'), they did get more exaggerated with their stunts... 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 6:41pm
For those who missed it, I am going to miss the old guy.

"His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like" LOL

And! Here's the teaser...our own PaWolf makes an appearance at the end.

No doubt, voicing his displeasure with the new commercial's possibilities. Wink

michael971 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 2:13am
I prefer the original "Most interesting man in the world" Kind of hard to replace,
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:35am
It's kinda like trying to replace Sean Connery as 007 or David Lee Roth in Van Halen.

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

It's kinda like trying to replace Sean Connery as 007 or David Lee Roth in Van Halen.

PERFECT SOLUTION! - Just switch their roles.  LOL
Van Halen could do a cover of "Hot for Teacher" featuring a distinct Scottish brogue.

And if not that, then "Ice Cream Man". 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic