Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Craig T. Nelson/Poltergeist/Carrol Ann/Direct TV
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Craig T. Nelson/Poltergeist/Carrol Ann/Direct TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Craig T. Nelson/Poltergeist/Carrol Ann/Direct TV
    Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 7:56pm

As the Mills Brothers sang...
Although there are oceans we must cross and mountains that we must climb
I know every gain must have a loss, so pray that our loss is nothing but time

Tilzen, we'll dream of what there will be
Tilzen, we'll call on each memory
Tilzen, when I will hold you again
Please wait Tilzen

Sponsored Links

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2008 at 3:16am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

...always great when new folks meet and learn to know each other, eh, MM00?

I think they got over it.

I like that shipload of tipping trailers.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2008 at 2:43am

...always great when new folks meet and learn to know each other, eh, MM00?

I think they got over it.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 11:36pm

What it was that Till/Proz were arguing about went over my head.  I can't figure out what they were talking about at all.

..............er maybe I just didn't care enough to figure it out.  That could be.

SabreRoseTiger View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SabreRoseTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 10:24pm

Has anyone seen the fine-print disclaimer at the beginning of the commercial?

"Poltergeist scenes not intended to depict actual cable viewing experience"

Really?
rocketman70092 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman70092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 2:31am
Really????

I finally saw the commercial. I was expecting something a bit more than what I saw. The little girl just had one line, she was off the screen before I could register what I was seeing.

I don't think what they did was that big of a deal. As previous posters said, networks air the entire movie.
tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 1:10am
Thanks! And better yet, you quoted Dana Plato; the dead actress trifecta is complete! ... 
Is life is a koan er what!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 1:04am
tillzen/the real prozac:

I think I'm going to enjoy both of your future posts as long as you don't start throwing crap.

Who knows, you might agree on something sometime...I think Thor and Jimbo have in the past.
tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 1:00am
Do as you please ... I was merely stating that I write ALL original content. This forum is for us both. As I wrote in the "furious machine" the moment we post, we are defining ourselves. I write what I write, just for me (as do you) and if it enlightens others, then I am contributing to the greater good. Luckily NONE of THIS is about us!

(and your still a "Maroon!" <grin>)
the real prozac View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the real prozac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 12:53am
Originally posted by tillzen tillzen wrote:

You have a "sig" and I have yet to learn this baffling and mysterious forum? Forgive me spawn of Yoda and Koko ("Apple Cookie Me Love Ma!")

I realize that you value your status as an oldster here, but unless you can bring something un-stolen to the party the "furious machine" (see my blog www.tillzen.net) will eat your lunch. The Internet may have been co-opted by those who fling borrowed nothingness (see YouTube) against the wall to see what sticks, but life belongs to those who can seize the high ground and hold it. This means either bring stronger "game" or stop pretending this site is your clubhouse.

I will give you Props on SRV, but until you show me more (anything else) "What a maroon!" is your diaper.

So, now I can't quote anything?  Everything must be absolutely original?  I use a quote from a commercial that I hate and all of a sudden I'm a plagiarizing thief?  Isn't that what this site is about?  We discuss, make fun of, and dare I say it, quote commercials that we dislike or find disturbing, etc.  I haven't been here much longer than you, but I'm no stranger to forums.  I use pictures, that I'll admit aren't mine, to make points.  I have never claimed anything I've posted ANYWHERE that wasn't mine.  BTW, nice copypasta from your site.  Once again...

I didn't create that one either.

All your internets are belong to me.-Anonymous
Rules 3,4,5,8 and 78
tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 5:35pm
I agree Nathan. From dead celebs, to colorization of b&w movies, to holding paparazzi cameras' under skirts, just because we can do something (anything), does not mean we must. That is why this sight rocks! To call the media on its soulless nature is brilliant!

Next up, why Holiday Inn Express says we'd prefer someone who stayed in our Hotel to a Black Doctor. Who vetted this? 
tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 5:30pm
Jero ... I agree and it is why I spoke. I address the urban myth, and the Internet myth in my post "The Furious Machine" in my blog. I'm no whiz yet, but I'm getting there. I think that so much of this form, is that we learn by doing. If urban myths, and how the Internet eats content alive interests you, then my blog has value. I should warn you, that I bring a lot to the table, and my readers are forewarned that I bring it (I go on and on / Yeesh!)

Oh and while I'm here, "What a great idea this site is!". One of your members quoted numbers to me (rules), and I hope that intellectually we allowed to call out the boring, and that this differs from the "flaming" of the older (more pathetic  "cave paintings") that the Internet is haunted by.

Oh and (and) M.Baker your post was terrific!. Anyone combining "Family Guy" and M. Night in a sentence is "aces" is my book. My Post though it followed yours was a continuation of my poking "TNP" with a stick.
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 5:29pm
I've said from the beginning on CIH it should be illegal to use ANY dead celebrity's image to endorse a product.
Digital Fred Astaire dancing with the vacuum cleaner, etc. Distasteful.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 5:11pm
I think the whole creepiness factor of the movie and the urban legends behind it add to the off putting aspects of this ad.

tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 5:09pm
You have a "sig" and I have yet to learn this baffling and mysterious forum? Forgive me spawn of Yoda and Koko ("Apple Cookie Me Love Ma!")

I realize that you value your status as an oldster here, but unless you can bring something un-stolen to the party the "furious machine" (see my blog www.tillzen.net) will eat your lunch. The Internet may have been co-opted by those who fling borrowed nothingness (see YouTube) against the wall to see what sticks, but life belongs to those who can seize the high ground and hold it. This means either bring stronger "game" or stop pretending this site is your clubhouse.

I will give you Props on SRV, but until you show me more (anything else) "What a maroon!" is your diaper.
mbaker View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 1:48pm

I absolutely DESPISE how Direct TV publicly spits on good movies in order to sell you their crappy cable service! (Even bad movies like 'The Dukes Of Hazzard'.) Dose these people have an original bone in their body?!? I guess not, so they take the lazy way out, and spend they're entire bank accounts on movies so they can manipulate them completely out of context in a shameless attempt to look 'clever', when in reality, they look incredibly STUPID! LEAVE MOVIES ALONE, DIRECT TV! COME UP WITH SOMETHING ORIGINAL!!! Losers!! Next thing you know, they'll get M. Night to do a spoof on 'The Sixth Sense' like on 'Family Guy' ('I see low prices, At Big Pete's House Of Munch') What a twist!
If it's got wings, i can crash it!
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the real prozac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 8:07am

The "real prozac" IS the Internet!!!
You steal a line (any line) and just repeat it each time you can't think of something new to say, and nobody calls you on it. "The proof is in the pad" repeated 55 times, is still a mop commercial, no matter how often you repeat it here as if you are "deep".

"What a maroon!" (Elmer Fudd)

Ohh, and here's 45269 internets for your effort.
Rules 3,4,5,8 and 78
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the real prozac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 7:56am

You steal a line (any line) and just repeat it each time you can't think of something new to say, and nobody calls you on it. "The proof is in the pad" repeated 55 times, is still a mop commercial, no matter how often you repeat it here as if you are "deep".

What are you on about?  That's in my sig.  I don't type that everytime I post.  I know it's from the mop commercial.  Why do you think I used it?  I loathe that commercial.  Learn how forums work before you "call someone out?" 

Rules 3,4,5,8 and 78
tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 7:41am

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the real prozac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 6:56am
That movie came out when I was a kid, and it scared me to death.  She would have been just under two years younger than I am. 

I don't think the commercial is that bad.  If her death had recently occurred, I would find it distasteful, but she's been dead for over 20 years now.
Rules 3,4,5,8 and 78
erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 6:32am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I've seen this commercial.  I don't think that it is actually Craig T Nelson in the commercial.
It's some other guy they computer spliced in.  The guy talking doesn't sound exactly like him either.  He doesn't have a real distinct voice or appearance for that matter.

I have only seen the movie like once though so I don't have the scene memorized.

Actually, Craig T. Nelson does have a very distinctive voice, and it is definitely him.

Showing a dead girl in the commercial does not piss me off.  Showing the commercial 2-3 times every break does.  I defended the commercial at first but now I'm just sick of seeing it and want it to go away.
tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 2:27pm
Oh and the actress they couldn't afford (who pretends to be sleeping) next to CRAIG T. NELSON is Jobeth Williams who I last saw as in "24" playing Peter Weller's wife. I actually prefer this commercial to "24" at least it is over in 30 seconds. "24" is like they combined "Mission Impossible" With the Sport Where U Sweep Up- "Curling". it is slower than Baseball.
tillzen View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 2:18pm
You would be wrong, it IS Craig T. Nelson, wearing tar based hair dye. Also the older dead daughter was the niece of one of our greatest writers (John Gregory Dunne) and the actual daughter of society hack writer Dominick Dunne. The actress Dominique Dunne fell in love with the Chef @ Ma Maison JT Sweeney who strangled her to death in a fit of jealousy.

my website www.tillzen.net is as fact filled as this ... there is no guessing ot stoned typing (if interested)
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 1:50pm
I've seen this commercial.  I don't think that it is actually Craig T Nelson in the commercial.
It's some other guy they computer spliced in.  The guy talking doesn't sound exactly like him either.  He doesn't have a real distinct voice or appearance for that matter.

I have only seen the movie like once though so I don't have the scene memorized.

athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 1:36pm
Doesn't Craig look more than a little like Al Bundy in bed?  I was half expecting Peg to wake up or something.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic