Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FINALLY!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!.........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FINALLY!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!.........
    Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 8:59pm
I don't want to jinx anything, & it may not be permanent yet, but the long, hot, nasty humid summer finally seems to be drawing to a close.

We had one or two semi-pleasant days a week or so ago, but nobody expected them to last & sure enough it got grisly hot again.

But today as forecasted, the temperature took a little dip into the 80's & it's been nice & breezy all day. I'm sitting here enjoying it coming thru my open window right now.

Better yet, tomorrow & for the next few days it's supposed to be the same & starting tomorrow night, the temperature is forecasted to go down into the high 60's!!!!! 

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I have a free pass to Universal Studios that I'm planning to use tomorrow, too. I've been holding onto it hoping the weather would do just what it's doing before Sept. 30th which is when the ticket is good thru.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 9:04pm
Awwww, you guys deserve the beautiful weather!  Enjoy!!!  Smile  I can hardly wait until it cools off enough that I can start roasting chickens, eating those wonderful autumn vegetables, and baking homemade pies....mmmmmm!!!
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 9:18pm
This is, hands down, my favorite time of the year.

And Aleen - I LOVE pie...! Apple, pumpkin, blueberry, any! YUM
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 9:21pm
Tue
Cloudy%20/%20PM%20Sun
74°/55°F
Wed
PM%20Clouds
75°/56°F
Thu
Sprinkles
70°/61°F
Fri
Sprinkles
73°/60°F

After 4 months of being closed up in A/C, it finally broke here also. 55degrees at night, the windows stay open.Clap
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

This is, hands down, my favorite time of the year.

And Aleen - I LOVE pie...! Apple, pumpkin, blueberry, any! YUM

Oh gosh, same here!!  I'm like a pie-baking fiend, but unfortunately Mr. Aleen can't stop eating them, so I have to make them in moderation.  Unhappy  After many failed attempts, I have finally mastered the art of pie crust, so they're so nice and flaky and buttery.  Mmmmmmm!!!  I sometimes will make a nice homemade chicken pot pie or a steak and stilton pie, but again, Mr. Aleen........Angry
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 10:24pm
The climate here being so dry, the temps have a wide range.  Today will be around 90°, but it'll get down to the mid-50's tonight.

The death of summer where I live, is not accompanied by pretty autumn colors.  It's just death...followed by wet death.

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 11:34pm
Wow Thor, that kinda stinks! We had a horribly wet Summer, but Fall is shaping up nicely. The leaves are already changing colors and it's becoming chilly at night. Time to pick apples and bake pies.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 11:52pm
It's been great here in Colorado all summer. It got into the nineties a couple of times, but that was awesome compared to Boise, where it stays in the triple digits for three months, and has about eighty percent humidity from being right in between two (relatively) big rivers Dead
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

Wow Thor, that kinda stinks! We had a horribly wet Summer, but Fall is shaping up nicely. The leaves are already changing colors and it's becoming chilly at night. Time to pick apples and bake pies.

I really can't complain.  We get a few months of damp weather, followed by warm, dry, cloudless, rainless weather from April until October or so.  In fact, my winter doldrums actually end by the time the holidays are over.  It's then that the days start getting longer.  And by February, I'm looking for signs of spring.  I like growing stuff, and having a really long season to do that is great.  I'll harvest my oranges in November.  I get about 150 off of my one tree.

But autumn, especially in New England, sure would be nice.  Smile

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 12:41am
Until the Citrus Canker exterminators came & took down my citrus trees, I had a navel orange tree that yeilded about 250 oranges.

And if you've never had Florida seedless navel oranges before, you haven't had oranges mein Freund. Wink

Big as grapefruits, sweet, poppin & spittin with juice & not a seed in 'em. Tongue

Damn I miss that tree.

Had a pink grapefruit tree that yeilded about the same number or more, but I gave those all to the local food bank. Not big on grapefruit.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 12:42am
I heard that the midwest could have a really cold, snowy winter....whoopie. Cry
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Until the Citrus Canker exterminators came & took down my citrus trees, I had a navel orange tree that yeilded about 250 oranges.

And if you've never had Florida seedless navel oranges before, you haven't had oranges mein Freund. Wink

Big as grapefruits, sweet, poppin & spittin with juice & not a seed in 'em. Tongue

Damn I miss that tree.

Had a pink grapefruit tree that yeilded about the same number or more, but I gave those all to the local food bank. Not big on grapefruit.

I think they were called tangelopes(sp?) here. What, did your tree have bugs or something?Question
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 1:26am
I think you're talking about tangeloes. Cross between a tangerine & an orange. Completely different from a Florida navel orange.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my tree whatsoever. Aside from a little bit of leaf mold, it was perfectly healthy.

But there was a citrus canker outbreak that threatened to destroy the state's citrus industry since canker is incurable, destroys the tree's fruit & spreads easily from tree to tree.

So any tree that lay within a 1,900 ft. radius of a tree found to be infected, was ordered by the state to be destroyed. Unfortunately, my yard was within such a radius.

Later I came to find out that if I had refused to give them permission, it would've taken a long time for them to obtain permisson from a court, & about a year after they took mine down, they abandoned the program anyway. Shocked 

There is still an orange tree in the yard right next to mine that they never got permission to take down. Unfortunately it grows crappy little juice oranges.

For my 3 trees I got a hundred bucks cash & a $50 WalMart merchandise card that was only good in the lawn & garden dept.

C'mon, man!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 3:32am
Originally posted by aleen aleen wrote:

Awwww, you guys deserve the beautiful weather!  Enjoy!!!  Smile  I can hardly wait until it cools off enough that I can start roasting chickens, eating those wonderful autumn vegetables, and baking homemade pies....mmmmmm!!!

Been there/done that aleen! I made a a stuffed acorn squash side dish for supper tonight, and I also baked a blueberry pie from fresh Jersey blueberries.

It is rather cool this evening, and last night I actually needed the comforter on our bed over night.

I love fall, it's my favourite season!
One man gathers what another man spills
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 3:39am
Picked a half basket of Red Delicious apples and a buttload of wild blackberries (which will be served this evening over Rocky Road ice cream).  I love fall.
Love endures all.
SokMunkie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SokMunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 4:24am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I heard that the midwest could have a really cold, snowy winter....whoopie. Cry

And yet, the weatherpeople are always surprised when it happens. LOL
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 4:42am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I don't want to jinx anything, & it may not be permanent yet, but the long, hot, nasty humid summer finally seems to be drawing to a close.

We had one or two semi-pleasant days a week or so ago, but nobody expected them to last & sure enough it got grisly hot again.

But today as forecasted, the temperature took a little dip into the 80's & it's been nice & breezy all day. I'm sitting here enjoying it coming thru my open window right now.

Better yet, tomorrow & for the next few days it's supposed to be the same & starting tomorrow night, the temperature is forecasted to go down into the high 60's!!!!! 

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I have a free pass to Universal Studios that I'm planning to use tomorrow, too. I've been holding onto it hoping the weather would do just what it's doing before Sept. 30th which is when the ticket is good thru.

If I was still in Florida I'd be cheering right along with you. All last summer I just wanted winter to come. My first and only Florida winter was so odd, it seemed to come and go in a matter of weeks. Something, anything but constant heat. I'm happy to be back north where I belong, though my dogs and my car have never seen snow Confused
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 4:52am
Originally posted by LOL1955 LOL1955 wrote:

Picked a half basket of Red Delicious apples and a buttload of wild blackberries (which will be served this evening over Rocky Road ice cream).  I love fall.

I tore out my blackberries this year.  Too thorny and too invasive.  Not worth the blood. 

aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

Originally posted by aleen aleen wrote:

Been there/done that aleen! I made a a stuffed acorn squash side dish for supper tonight, and I also baked a blueberry pie from fresh Jersey blueberries.

It is rather cool this evening, and last night I actually needed the comforter on our bed over night.

I love fall, it's my favourite season!

Mmmmmmmm, that all sounds so divine!  Approve
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 12:47am
I knew it wouldn't last. 3 days of nice, pleasant 70s, and now back to the 80s and humid.Thumbs%20Down
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 12:53am
Is it really like that up in Va.?

Surprising to me.

It's been in the upper 80's down here too, but the humidity has been relatively low.

At least for down here. Even today around 2 & 3 pm with the sun out, you could still feel a barely perceptible "coolness" in the air.

But when I say barely I mean it really was barely.

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 1:16am
Sat
Showers%20/%20Clear
78°/64°F
Sun
T-storms
80°/61°F
Mon
Partly%20Cloudy
80°/60°F
Tue
Cloudy%20/%20PM%20Sun
81°/59°F

The dewpoint was in the upper 60s. Thats almost August humidity.
TWC is showing us at 74degrees right now, I'll turn the A/C off in awhile.Confused
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 4:11am

We would kill for dewpoints in the upper 60's down here in Flordampida.

Our average dewpoint during August is in the 80's.

The average humidity in the mornings during the summer is over 90%.

In the afternoons it goes down into the 60's, but it's still bad news.

It's like living in a sticky soup.

C'mon, man!
Buffalo Bill View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffalo Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 6:23pm
I got to see my breath a few mornings ago. That's a good sign.

We're just getting out of a drought, though, so we could use a bit more rain.
---------------
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. NOT THE LINE ABOVE.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 7:04pm
I wish it would be either fall or spring all year around.

I'd never get tired of it.

Summer & winter suck.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic