Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New music that is worth a listen!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 6:54pm
Son of a bitch!  I didn't know 'Beats' was using it too.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 7:18pm
sonofabiatch!
Beats Pill and Lipton?
Thor sure must get forced to watch a lot of A.M. T.V. at hickmart
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 7:46pm
One of my wife's closest friends, (Luann) I am quite fond of her too. She brings her iPhone and what I think is a Beats speaker, when we take the boat out.

The sound is f*cking amazing for such a small unit.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 9:25pm
Just heard this one on one of the non-commercial, lower-end-of-the-dial stations (WFMU) I listen to.

Dex Romweber:

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 11:15pm
^^^Wow! I LIKE! And I know where Carrboro isBig smileWink
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:05am

I like the Jethro Tull vibe.
I have 168 characters remaining.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by NiteRaidah NiteRaidah wrote:

I like the Jethro Tull vibe.

Wow, that does have a big Tull influence. Hard to believe these guys were once a death metal band...
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:26pm
Ian Anderson is probably like all "Dude...WTF????"

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 4:21pm
Neeeehhhh...'Gaelic/Goth Sound' may be more appropriate. Yea, sure - reminds me of Tull, but then again, no. I just have this nasty feeling the rest of the album would probably be death-hell-doom-gloom-yell-metal sh*t from elsewhere.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 5:20pm
^  What I've listened to from this group reminded me a bit of how Led Zeppelin can run the gamut from Black Dog to The Battle of Evermore on the same album.

You have to give them credit for realizing that the growling, bloody throat, Satan stuff gets kinda silly by the age of 40 or so.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Neeeehhhh...'Gaelic/Goth Sound' may be more appropriate. Yea, sure - reminds me of Tull, but then again, no. I just have this nasty feeling the rest of the album would probably be death-hell-doom-gloom-yell-metal sh*t from elsewhere.

Umm, yeah, not even f**king CLOSE. The vast, vast, VAST majority of metal, including Opeth, has nothing do with death/hell/satan stuff(hell, even many death metal bands don't actually sing about death, and many black metal bands are more "anti-organized relgion" than they are actually Satanic), and Opeth hasn't done anything close to yelling in ages.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Umm, yeah, not even f**king CLOSE. The vast, vast, VAST majority of metal, including Opeth, has nothing do with death/hell/satan stuff(hell, even many death metal bands don't actually sing about death, and many black metal bands are more "anti-organized relgion" than they are actually Satanic), and Opeth hasn't done anything close to yelling in ages.

And yet it all still manages to suck almost as bad as rap.

Go figure.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 9:28pm
I don't think metal sucks.  In fact, if I was born 10 or 20 years later, I might have been more into it (hell, I love early Black Sabbath).  But at my age, it just feels too assaultive.  I rarely want to be assaulted these days.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 11:00pm
I like early Black Sabbath too. Listened to it all the time in high school.

But I don't really consider that stuff "metal" in the same way bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax etc, etc are.

When I say that I think metal "sucks", I'm talking about from the mid to late 80's onward. That same, overused, fast, choppy, distorted guitar rhythm, growling vocals, violent themed lyrics, etc, etc.

I think it sucks for the same reasons you say you don't listen to it. Too assaultive to the senses. I just cannot fathom actually wanting to put that stuff on while relaxing around the house or driving in the car out on the highway.

Except maybe for the purpose of trying to stay awake.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 11:16pm
neeehhh...Never ever liked Black Sabbath and I never pull my zipper half-way down and then apologize.

Homey don't do 'Noise'
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I like early Black Sabbath too. Listened to it all the time in high school.

But I don't really consider that stuff "metal" in the same way bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax etc, etc are.

When I say that I think metal "sucks", I'm talking about from the mid to late 80's onward. That same, overused, fast, choppy, distorted guitar rhythm, growling vocals, violent themed lyrics, etc, etc.

Tons of metal doesn't have violent themed lyrics. Growling vocals are limited primarily to death/black metal and their subgenres, and a few thrash bands(though plenty of thrash bands have non-growled vocals too). Traditional metal, power metal, speed metal, prog metal...they tend to avoid growling.

Here mate, tell me, where, exactly, those things you talk about appear in any of these songs? There songs are all post-80's, where's all the violence? Where's all the growling? Where's all that choppy distorted rhythms? I'm not joking, I'm legitimately making the point that what you describe is in no way representative of metal as well. Some subgenres, sure. But certainly not all, or even the majority of them. Play at least a little of these songs, and tell me, do you honestly still stand by your assessment?:

This one is about a ship's captain who was sailing off alone to kill himself, but upon seeing a man struggling to stay afloat in the water in a storm, decides that he wants to live, and wants to help the stranger live as well. This is the band that you might know better under the name Tran-Siberian Orchestra:

Here's one about the beauty of nature, with a strong Celtic influence:

This one is about the sorry commercialized state of music("Forgive me if I'm out of order, this new music has no soul, it may be good for making money, sadly that is not my goal"):

This one, as the title implies, is about King Arthur and Merlin. I'll be seeing these guys live next week, and I know this song will be played:

This one is about being saved by Jesus(though Jesus is never actually named in the song). As you might gather from the length, it goes over a multitude of styles and tempos:

This is a thrash song without growled vocals. It's faster and more aggressive than the others, but lyrically it's about how the environment is being polluted and ruined, and the effects it can lead to. The extended solo section from 3:38 to  5:29 is a wonderful example of why I listen to thrash, if that segment doesn't appeal to you, the thrash genre is not for you. But the point remains, that even in a faster, more aggressive subgenre, you can find non-violence themed lyrics without growled vocals:

This one is based on the old Brit sci-fi TV series Blake's 7, and features 2 very different vocalists, neither of whom is a growler:

Here's one written as a tribute to one of metal's legends, Ronnie James Dio, after his death:

I would even argue that several of these certainly aren't anything I'd call "assaultive", either. Certainly not Skyclad or Nightwish...

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 2:49pm
What the hell, one more, the song featured in my signature. The sig lyrics should give you an idea what the song's themes are:

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 5:08pm

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

New report finds 'Erin Brockovich' chemical in US drinking water
So...besides the ongoing big business bullies governments and Native Americans, now they bully (and kill) ALL Americans.

Dats some scary sh*t!!  Those IDIOTS responsible should be shot!

The city takes annual samples and sends us the results. Like it makes any sense anyway. LOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 12:47am
Don't know why I never heard of this guy; he's been around forever. 

Very throwback-y.  Little Richard meets Mott the Hoople.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 4:44pm
Wink As an on-again/off-again Wilco fan, I was VERY shocked (hardeeharrrharr) by 'Schmilko', which I first caught on NPR 30 days ago (but the snotrockets would only let me hear ONE cut). The album is hard to put down (as always, there will be one or two tracks easy to pass on). And the cover art is a scream - and a shock, considering who the artist is (famed Spanish artist Joan Cornella - I'm an on-again/off-again fan of his, also)
The entire album is on Youtube for free...but Wilco fans will want their own copy. 

Senor Joan Cornella's art...

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 7:37pm
^ I clicked on the first song, I like it!
This is a new song from a group that I already like.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 6:38pm
I've been hearing this on our pro/alt music station...the odd guitar sound reminds me of an old Led Zeppelin song. I can't remember the title to save my life! Confused

Is that a Banjo? A Steel Guitar?  I like the song!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:33pm
Battle of Evermore, maybe?

And it could be a mandolin.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 4:07am

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic