Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mac vs. PC dumb ads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 2:49am
Originally posted by CurryMan CurryMan wrote:

Every one of these ads can be summed up in two sentences:

"Hi! I'm a douchebag..."
"...and I'm a spineless jellyfish paid to stand here and pull off the formidable task of somehow looking inferior to the douchebag."
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Sponsored Links

Vlad The Impaler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 9:54am
Originally posted by shebazz shebazz wrote:

Lastly, the fact that Windows viruses don't run on Mac is because they write viruses for the widest possible audience, which doesn't include Mac users. I haven't had a single piece of malware on any of my machines for 2 years.

This pretty much sums it up right there. No one uses MACs (oh sorry, Macs) there are no questions on the A+ exams about MACS (sorry, Macs), no viruses for MACS (pretty much 'cause no one cares) and no malware for MACs.

And yes, it is an acronym. It stands for Most Apps Can't load! LOL
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 11:10am
So Nate, do you use Macs for your web surfing or only to do your work. I have friends in the music industry that swear by them for recording and video, BUT they use a PC for web surfing. I don't know why exactly but one person told me he didn't want to put a lot of sh*t on his Mac to bog it down, and he said a lot of stuff online is a pain in the ass. I'm guessing because about 80% of the sh*t online is made for PC.

My PC laptop just took a sh*t on me and I am seriously debating getting a Mac. If I got a Mac laptop for surfing the web, email and such.....would I be making a mistake? Please if you answer that question, tell me why?? I've never used a mac at all so I have no idea about them, but HAVE heard plenty of horror stories.
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 3:29pm
I use the Mac for everything. In my business I use Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro and Compressor which are Apple products.
I also use Adobe Creative Suite 3 which works equally well in Windows, but has great integration with Final Cut and DVD Studio Pro.

I use Safari to browse. It's fast and has good integration with the system software.
Firefox on a Mac can handle websites that may be incompatible with Safari.
Hotmail, for example, was recently redesigned specifically to be incompatible with Safari.

I also have an Intel Mac laptop that runs Windows XP.
You can switch it from Mac to Windows by holding down a key at startup.
I use the Windows Mac for converting TiVo files to DivX, and that's about it.

I find Windows, especially Vista to be totally counterintuitive,
and I am always helping someone's parent undo something they unknowingly did to their Windows PC.
Usually it involves "shareware" that is actually spyware or malware.
Too many people have PCs they don't know how to use.
I think the Mac is an "everyman" kind of computer that works for any level of computer literacy.

That being said, the ads are annoying to me as well.
Cool at first, lame now. The Mac guy is simply not cool. Being young and skinny doesn't make you cool.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 5:32pm
But it's Warren Cheswick!
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 6:11pm
I use both systems, and have used Linux (which I very much enjoyed until a bad batch of Red Hat caused my computer to stop recognizing all of it's cards...AngryCry). I like all three of them for their own purposes.

The issue that I have with this whole Mac vs. PC thing is that they're both products, and that is all. Why do we let these companies try to tell us who we are, and who everyone else is?
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
shebazz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shebazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Vlad The Impaler Vlad The Impaler wrote:

Originally posted by shebazz shebazz wrote:

Lastly, the fact that Windows viruses don't run on Mac is because they write viruses for the widest possible audience, which doesn't include Mac users. I haven't had a single piece of malware on any of my machines for 2 years.

This pretty much sums it up right there. No one uses MACs (oh sorry, Macs) there are no questions on the A+ exams about MACS (sorry, Macs), no viruses for MACS (pretty much 'cause no one cares) and no malware for MACs.

And yes, it is an acronym. It stands for Most Apps Can't load! LOL

Yeah, and the A+ certification exam asks stupid questions you'll never use, such as IRQ numbers. So I wouldn't really say that's the best standard for what is relevant to the computing world. I oddly enough have made the exact same argument, when I was in the A+ certification class. However, now that Macs are Intel based, in fact most of the hardware stuff would apply.

That being said, I know a lot of very intelligent people who use Macs, including the head of my organization. Since they're now a lot more homogeneous to the rest of the computing environment, it's really a matter of personal preference, unless you're doing what Nathan does. Then again, I've used Premiere Pro quite a bit and can tell you that professional Windows nonlinear editing is pretty close to Final Cut, and has been for many years. I've used both for animation, as well (my first degree) and the PCs I was using were far superior, though popular opinion held at the time that Macs were far superior. The thing was, it was much easier to buy a baseline PC and upgrade it with a decent workstation graphics card. However, the Macs I used were just regular old Macs (not the awesomeness that is a Mac Pro). Anyhow, I'm getting waaaay too verbose.
MAC the Impala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC the Impala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

Type Mac in all caps one more time and I'm just going to ban you for being stupid.

He wasn't kiddin'!!!! He wasn't kiddin', by god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!   Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap ClapAngry
Banquo View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banquo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 11:03pm
The one I really hate is that stupid Folger's Crystals ripoff Windows Vista ad. How stupid does Microsoft think people are?
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by MAC the Impala MAC the Impala wrote:

Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

Type Mac in all caps one more time and I'm just going to ban you for being stupid.

He wasn't kiddin'!!!! He wasn't kiddin', by god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!   Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap ClapAngry

Vlad/MAC...don't f**k with Nathan.  Wink
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 9:49pm
I swear though. with my PC a few years ago I was messing around with my kids, who are Star Wars fans like myself, and they were banging sticks together like lightsabers. I recorded them  and when they sleeping, I rotoscoped the video and "lit" the sticks making them look like lightsabers, added the sounds and they about sh*t themselves. I made more and more of them. I wound up with about 17GB worth of composite video....that was until my PC took a sh*t, and it was something over my head. I had to send it back to the company and they formated my hard drive, and lost it all. I have an external HD now, but they too can go bad, however PCs are known to go down on a regular basis even if you keep them maintenanced. My laptop right now won't start and the repair facility is f**kin useless. It tells me to enter my password, and I've never even set one up. They didn't send a disc with it, so I guess I own a copy of Vista but it's in my computer and I can't repair the friggin thing. They told me to create a recovery disc set but I don't have a DVD burner on my laptop. I tried it with CDs but HELL it was gonna take like 13 CDs!! I didn't have that many on hand at the time and I forgot to get any....now I guess I'm just screwed!! I have not messed with Vista enough enough to have learned many workarounds, so if anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE PM me.

I have seriously thought about Mac cause I am tired of this bullsh*t from Windows. What the hell didn't Microsoft just FIX XP and leave it the hell alone?? I hate it when they totally overhaul something and I have to play hide and seek for features that should be "RIGHT THERE!" Ya know??
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 10:03pm
LOL Nate what you said about folks not knowing how to use them is SOOOO true. I am no expert, but I can get around one pretty friggin good for someone who's never taken a course. But a lady friend of the family called me once saying that she couldn't ever see pictures of her grandkids sent by her son, and asked if I could help. She was using Outlook Express, and you know how OE is NOT a picture viewer, it doesn't handle large digital pictures well, doesn't size them to fit the screen (which I have NEVER understood why after all this time Microsoft hasn't addressed this). After I spent three LOOOONG, frustrating as HELL hours showing  her how to move them into a folder, she asked me why she could only see  the top half of the pictures..... LOL.......she wasn't scrolling down!!!! ROFLMAO!!!! When I showed her that she was absolutely shickled titless!!!!

I didn't realize that was all she meant. When I first got there, I just started showing her how to save files. That whole, direction box, and the SAVE IN and SAVE AS was just too friggin much for her. I was dealing with attached picture files rather than viewing them. She had no idea the concept behind a file attached to an email verses viewing save pic files in a folder!!!  I hear you fully on folks just not understanding computers. They don't read things either. Some of those shareware programs word the acceptance bubbles wierd to trick folks into clicking to install rather than exit. Folks, you have to read stuff like that! Just clicking through something to get it off your screen is NOT a good thing. Hurry now, wait later!!
ToxicShock View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToxicShock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 1:25pm
What is this "real world" you speak of? I recently bought a Mac after years of being a Windows/PC user. I've had no trouble doing anything in the "real world". My medical dictionary works fine. My audio books and CD-ROM supplements for school work fine. I can type anything and save in .TFF format, or even as a Word document if I choose, with no problems.

I used to be a HUGE PC user and completely against Mac all together. But then I opened my mind a little and found out how much better, for me, this OS is.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 7:20pm
The sad thing about the new Windows ads is they were made on a Mac. Pinch

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/09/19/microsofts-im-a-pc-ads-created-on-macs/
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 10:29pm
I used to work with multimedia developers and graphic designers.  I was not one, myself - but have worked with plenty to know that all of the creative types - hands down - prefer Macs to PC's.  Always have, probably always will.

The time I tried to learn Adobe Illustrator, all they had in the classroom were Macs.  It was not intuitive, not to me.  However, I'd been using a PC since Windows 2.0 Embarrassed
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
shebazz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shebazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 10:44pm
That's funny, because not one person in my computer animation degree program used a Mac. On the other hand, a lot of CS types use Macs, which has given me a newfound respect for them.

That being said, it's mostly a myth now about either being better than the other for anything, since they're based on the same architecture. Plus, Adobe's Creative Suite is available on both Windows and Macs - it's the same program.

Also, that article was waaay biased - MS Expression Studio has nothing to do with what they are implying. It's a big piece of crap, don't get me wrong. But it is in no way, shape or form a compositing or nonlinear editing application, which they imply.

That is pretty funny, though. Like the video distributed with XP that was produced making a pirated piece of software. I didn't believe it until I went to my Windows directory, opened up the file, and sure enough there was the name of the cracker who cracked the software in plain text at the end of the file.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic