Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - can they PLEASE stop overusing this catchphrase?..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

can they PLEASE stop overusing this catchphrase?..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: can they PLEASE stop overusing this catchphrase?..
    Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

Rad died out in the 80's/ very early 90s.
Dead But never say never when it comes to the adtards. Especially in this Politically correct, hipster, hip hop driven society.
I approve this message.
Sponsored Links

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 10:03pm
Rad died out in the 80's/ very early 90s.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Stacy Stacy wrote:

"Cool" was cool when I was a teenager, and it's still hot! Wink The other one I remember from my younger days was "sharp", but that hasn't held up as well.

cool
hot
sharp
swift
neat
boss
bad
gnarly
bitchin'
far out
keen
dope
phat
outasite
groovy
the cat's meow
the cat's pajamas
the bee's knees

Don't forget Awsome Sauce. One that I hate hearing anywhere is the retarded sounding Booya! And don't even enetertain the idea of saying Rad! In the Nora Roberts series (book) featuring futuristic 2060 cop Eve Dallas, her BFF says "Mag" which just sounds so corn pone.
I approve this message.
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

Cool as a good thing is a word that's been popular for at least 4 decades! Cool as a good thing has stand the test of time!
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 3:18pm
Cool is a good thing is a word that's been popular for at least 4 decades! Cool as a good thing has stand the test of time!

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 3:14pm
Speaking of Wiggers, Federline from The Cleveland Show is the epitome of a Wigger. LOL. Lord have mercy with that one.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Sadie Sadie wrote:

"Sweet" was the 70's term, at least in NYC, where I was.

70's??  I still use it.  LOL

I've noticed since I've gotten older that I no longer notice what's gone out of style and when.  Then again, even when I was young, I didn't adopt every trend.

Some young guy at work always asks if I can give him a "boge" (pronounced boag).  It means cigarette.  He doesn't get that someone my age doesn't go for all that lingo or jive sort of talk.  I say "Oh, you mean a cigarette?".  And yeah, I always give him one.  Despite being a bit of a wigger, he's a nice-enough guy.

Sadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 7:58pm
"Sweet" was the 70's term, at least in NYC, where I was.
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 10:49am
Thomas Jefferson used "cool" to describe level headedness and calmness.

I think that makes "cool" "founding slang".
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Stacy Stacy wrote:

"Cool" was cool when I was a teenager, and it's still hot! Wink The other one I remember from my younger days was "sharp", but that hasn't held up as well.

cool
hot
sharp
swift
neat
boss
bad
gnarly
bitchin'
far out
keen
dope
phat
outasite
groovy
the cat's meow
the cat's pajamas
the bee's knees

Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 1:18am
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

LMFAO! A hamburger in a bagel! Genius! I like how you paired it the head exploding icon too!

Thanks LOL

I was going to use the classic Scanners gif, but then I figured that might not be safe for all viewers.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 7:25pm
They all be using Mind Blown LIKE A BOSS! Wink
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 6:31pm
LMFAO! A hamburger in a bagel! Genius! I like how you paired it the head exploding icon too!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 5:08pm
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/AbPM/applebees-quesadilla-burger-mind-blown

This one?

Yeah, I can think of way more mind-blowing things than a hamburger in a tortilla, like...

A hamburger in a bagel!

jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 4:46pm
I think the ad that inspired me to post this was for Applebee's. They have some sort of new buritto inside a taco menu item and the girl eating it with her friends is way too excited about it. 
Banderboy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 5:30pm
As long as nobody says "tubular". That was the least groovy slang ever.
Every day my mind grows keener- my good arm stronger--- my silly enemies more futile---
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 3:48am
Well, am I surprised? No one talks like that, but my god the valley girl outbreak continues to make us dumber. "Like, you know, like, um, like, rad, like". Cut it out!
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 2:05am
Originally posted by zippyjet zippyjet wrote:

Originally posted by jnoble jnoble wrote:

..which is someone in a commercial referencing something fairly mundane like a new sandwich or lunch deal exclaims to someone else "MIND....BLOWN!"

No one in real life conversation talks like that, at least in a non-sarcastic way. I'm guessing some ad executives think it's what "all the kids" are saying nowadays so we need to further make it a "thing"
Angry

AngryI'm waiting for them to start using slang from 1970.

"MIND....  BLOWN!"
It's really kind of insensitive, what with all this microcephaly going around.

I'm just sayin'.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 11:25pm
"cool" will never go out of style.
I'm waiting for someone to say "LOL" in a sentence.Ermm
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 10:54pm
F'shizzle, few slang words have stood the test of time as well as "cool".  It may not even be considered slang anymore.

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by jnoble jnoble wrote:

..which is someone in a commercial referencing something fairly mundane like a new sandwich or lunch deal exclaims to someone else "MIND....BLOWN!"

No one in real life conversation talks like that, at least in a non-sarcastic way. I'm guessing some ad executives think it's what "all the kids" are saying nowadays so we need to further make it a "thing"
Angry

AngryI'm waiting for them to start using slang from 1970.
I approve this message.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 7:10pm
That's a variation on an old one.  The idea of one's mind being blown goes back to when I was a kid.  It was kind of a hip, kinda druggy expression at the time.  "That blew my mind", "Mind-blowing", "That blew me away", etc.

It even predates this song:

jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 6:54pm

Angry

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic