Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

military recruitment commercials

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: military recruitment commercials
    Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 12:22am
i'm sure you've all seen them. kinda hard not to. >.>

"in defense of all we hold dear" - navy

"theres strong and then theres army strong" - army

and i don't remember the air forces quote.

i never have and never will consider joining the military (outside video games of course) and should the dreaded draft ever come up, i will have colorful words to share. :P

it's kinda sad. we humans can't live in peace with each other and then you see recruitment ads like these trying to recruit more humans to go off and kill other humans.

maybe if we had a threat on a global scale. you know, a "doomsday" scenario. maybe, just MAYBE that could cause the human species to unify into one force. aside from the world war stuff since, again, that's human vs human wars.

...oh, who am i kidding? those results would likely go bottom up within a matter of years. just wishful thinking and nothing more. :( humans are simply too destructive and chaotic to ever achieve something remotely close to true peace.
Sponsored Links

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:16am
treos: I agree that "World Peace" is a dream. Human nature actually does prevent that. Until the peaceful space aliens arrive with a non-negotiable ultimatum ala "The Day the Earth Stood Still". A "doomsday/apocalypse" scenario would be even worse. Anyone with anything of any value would become prey of those with a "bigger stick". I am a 30+ year retired veteran Army National Guard. One deployment in 2000 to Bosnia. It was a combat zone with no combat. Unfortunately I was placed in a very rare position of having to potentially take a life. Fortunately the situation was diffused with no harm to anyone. Our Founding Fathers had a dream of no standing Army. Relying on a Civilian Militia. It only worked until 1812. Post 9/11 The 1 weekend per month, 2 weeks per year National Guard recruiting commercials still ran for about 2 years when National Guard were being deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq as much or more than active duty Army/Air Force. When I retired in 2009 I had friends in the NG mobilizing for their fourth 13 month deployment (counting Desert Storm 1991).
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:30am
I'm too much of a whimp to get into the military. I don't want to kill or be killed in combat! I however do respect the people who do it though. I can't stand The Wounded Warror Project ads. So depressing! Let me explain that more, I feel bad for them, but I do hope they pull through! It'd be a tragedy if they died!

BTW I think U.S. Air Force slogan is "Aim High"
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 3:11am
Originally posted by treos treos wrote:

i'm sure you've all seen them. kinda hard not to. >.>

"in defense of all we hold dear" - navy

"theres strong and then theres army strong" - army

and i don't remember the air forces quote.

i never have and never will consider joining the military (outside video games of course) and should the dreaded draft ever come up, i will have colorful words to share. :P

it's kinda sad. we humans can't live in peace with each other and then you see recruitment ads like these trying to recruit more humans to go off and kill other humans.

maybe if we had a threat on a global scale. you know, a "doomsday" scenario. maybe, just MAYBE that could cause the human species to unify into one force. aside from the world war stuff since, again, that's human vs human wars.

...oh, who am i kidding? those results would likely go bottom up within a matter of years. just wishful thinking and nothing more. :( humans are simply too destructive and chaotic to ever achieve something remotely close to true peace.

You must be a very young person, so I won't bust on you about that, nor shall I make a stand about your convictions. I actually have been wishing for world peace for my entire life of 58 years.
I was born and raised in the U.K., and we Brits have a requirement for our youth to serve in the military services as a civil obligation. Most of Europe has the same requirements for their youth. The U.S.A. has the greatest military obligation to the world, and they do it by volunteers only. That's pretty remarkable!
I have seen these ads for many years, and I love and support our voluntary soldiers completely. I just wish that the need for these services could decrease in my old age, but I doubt it.
One man gathers what another man spills
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 4:24am
The space aliens aren't going to f**k with us.  They know we are a warlike species who will joyfully kill each other sometimes over nothing at all.  If they tried to stomp out this hornet's nest of humanity and didn't get us all, we'd find a way to go after the mofo's*.  And that scares them. Wink

* "Hey maaan, we gonna cut'chu up so bad..."  LOL
treos View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 4:33am
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

You must be a very young person, so I won't bust on you about that, nor shall I make a stand about your convictions.

actually i'm 27
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:12am

^   Yes.   Very young.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:21am

We humans are tribal and, as such, we'll always have rivalries, adversaries, enemies, etc.   We're diverse in so many ways, that only with absolute homogeneity could we even begin to come together as a species in peace and harmony.   And that would be at the expense of---well, diversity.   Would that be worth it?

Yes, the entire world could come together but, in all likelihood, that would be against some other enemy (or tribe).   Maybe...

madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 11:27pm
So, Treos, help me understand..... is there absolutely NOTHING for which you would be willing to give your life? Is there not a belief that you hold so strongly that you would die before you renounce it?
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I can't stand The Wounded Warror Project ads. So depressing!

After Russia defeated Hitler in WWII, Stalin had all his invalid soldiers returning home shipped to Siberia(a fact) as so they wouldn't be seen hobbling around Moscow. How's that for treating one's wounded warriors. But I digress.

I won't bust on treos as I can kinda see his point.  I certainly wouldn't have wanted to get shipped off to Vietnam or Iraq because they supposedly had weapons of mass destruction. Since when did the U.S. care about Vietnam and when our veterans came home, they were booed.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I can't stand The Wounded Warror Project ads. So depressing!

After Russia defeated Hitler in WWII, Stalin had all his invalid soldiers returning home shipped to Siberia(a fact) as so they wouldn't be seen hobbling around Moscow. How's that for treating one's wounded warriors. But I digress.

I won't bust on treos as I can kinda see his point.  I certainly wouldn't have wanted to get shipped off to Vietnam or Iraq because they supposedly had weapons of mass destruction. Since when did the U.S. care about Vietnam and when our veterans came home, they were booed.
WinkThank You, Tizzer...from a father of a 'wounded warrior', not to speak of having a family full of VietVets (I was called, but didn't need to go - last days of the war)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
treos View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by madwoman madwoman wrote:

So, Treos, help me understand..... is there absolutely NOTHING for which you would be willing to give your life? Is there not a belief that you hold so strongly that you would die before you renounce it?

nothing in particular comes to mind right offhand.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 11:06pm

Stalin and Lenin committed so many atrocities against their own people that that doesn't come as a surprise.

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 11:08pm
I'll be 33 in two weeks, so Uncle Sam won't want me. I'm also PDD-NOS Autistic, so sorry Sam.

Why hasn't the Navy used this as their theme?

Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 11:14pm
^ They don't want things to be TOO obvious:

"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

I'll be 33 in two weeks, so Uncle Sam won't want me. I'm also PDD-NOS Autistic, so sorry Sam.

Can you cook?WinkLOL
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 12:03am

nothing in particular comes to mind right offhand.
Got say i'm in agreement with Treos on that idea.

Only one life, only one chance, I'm not throwing it out for anything.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 12:55am

Luckily for us, not everyone thinks that way.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 1:08am

I'm too much of a whimp to get into the military. I don't want to kill or be killed in combat! I however do respect the people who do it though. I can't stand The Wounded Warror Project ads. So depressing! Let me explain that more, I feel bad for them, but I do hope they pull through! It'd be a tragedy if they died!

BTW I think U.S. Air Force slogan is "Aim High"

"Aim High". You are correct.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 2:35am

Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

Can you cook?WinkLOL

I actually can. I've even made macaroni salad and baked beans more than once and people tell me I should be a chef.
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Thanks, Thor... I was starting to feel like an unappreciated veteran. Like some people think I was stupid to spend 20 years of my life in the service. And that kinda pi$$es me off.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 4:32am
I can't speak for others, but I don't feel that way, certainly.

Simply that for some people it works, others it doesn't. I personally wouldn't derive any joy or growth from the experience, but of course others thrive and do well in that environment and relish the experience.

I also don't necessarily think there needs to be a "would die for" strength dedication or belief to excel in that career. I know a few who admit they don't have that mentality, but still enlisted and enjoyed their service.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 9:23am
Wow. So many good points from most angles in this thread. I wish I could quote you all. But I'm lazy in this early morning and have been up for almost two days. Plus I've had a beer or eight. Beer
I always wanted to join the Air Force ever since watching the movie Iron Eagle (cheesy, I know), and Top Gun. I was still a kid when those came out. But I have horrible eyes. I ended up in a four year relationship with a kid at 19. Of course she didn't want me to go anywhere. But she did. She found herself someone else. So did I a little while later. When 9/11 happened, I was with the wonderful girl that I am now. I begged to join. The Marines, the Army. Anything. I wanted to fight. I had to make a tough choice. Her. Or military. Maybe it makes me sound like a pussy. Maybe not. Almost fifteen years of love and acceptance, versus a possible quick death. I'm still learning every single day. I am diagnosed as having Borderline Personality Disorder, Severe Depression, and a little wonderful add on of an anxiety disorder. I'm not a happy person in general, I can act of course. I'd probably be well suited for the zombie apocalypse. But, listening to my wife was probably the best decision I've ever made. I might have ended up as one of our "overseas contractors" instead of just getting my imbalances figured at home.

Sorry for the rambling. I have had a few drinks. I feel that opening up sometimes helps. Hell, it may or may not help someone else open up and just be honest in this hate filled world. 

Oh, I feel I should add this. When the aliens come, either A)They'll kill us all. B)They'll negotiate  (they probably already are) Or C)they will just let us kill ourselves off and sack our planet, which at this point, is inevitable. Who knows? Confused
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 12:55pm

Thanks, Thor... I was starting to feel like an unappreciated veteran. Like some people think I was stupid to spend 20 years of my life in the service. And that kinda pi$$es me off.

My Dad was a vet, (Navy brat, here), so upmost respect for those who serve.

The "problem" I have with many of these enlistment commercials is that they emphasize a statistically unrealistic outcome for underprivledged classes.

For example:
Underprivledged Applicant, poor education, and from a bad neighborhood: "Got anything in computers?"
Recruiter: "Sure, sign here."

What Recruiter is actually thinking: "Soldier!"

But, maybe it's just me.
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

My Dad was a vet, (Navy brat, here), so upmost respect for those who serve.

The "problem" I have with many of these enlistment commercials is that they emphasize a statistically unrealistic outcome for underprivledged classes.

For example:
Underprivledged Applicant, poor education, and from a bad neighborhood: "Got anything in computers?"
Recruiter: "Sure, sign here."

What Recruiter is actually thinking: "Soldier!"

But, maybe it's just me.

The more bodies the better! And i obviously mean the living ones. I do and would like to thank your Dad and others for their service. My wifes father happened to serve with JFK. He wasn't the hero that he was supposed to be. I know first hand from two separate vets, I'm 36 and still want to enlist. I'm educated, can build, weld, cut and do anything with steel, aluminum, and other metals. I am also useful in other areas. I also have survival skills. My wife won't let me. Call me a pussy, but she means everything to me. Wiithout her, I'd be nothing. Now. Let some of these sick beheading f**ks come here, I'll kill them as needed. I will always protect our own. I live around  and in a building thats full of possible suspects.
They are praying more. I can hear them for multiple hours a day now. And No. I don't own a gun. I have a golf club. If I do get blown up, then protect yourselves. .
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic