Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It is officially late summer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It is officially late summer.
    Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 4:53pm
aka ron mentioned something about a late summer rain in the weather thread, which is coincidental, because I was planning to post this today.

Today marks the beginning of late summer.

At least according to Jimbo's How Much More Of This God Forsaken Hell Hole Of A Season Do We Have To Suffer Through? Scale, which utilizes the astronomical (vs the meteorological) method of determining seasonal change. According to the JHMMOTGFHHOASDWHTST? Scale, Saturday August 22nd marked the end of mid summer and Sunday August 23rd marks the official beginning of late summer.

The way this all works you see, is that summer, like the other three seasons, lasts more or less three months. It began on June 22nd and ends on September 22nd. Therefore, (according to JHMMOTGFHHOASDWHTST?) like each of the other seasons, it can be subdivided into three one month segments.

Early summer - June 22nd to July 22nd.
Middle summer - July 22nd to August 22nd.
Late summer - August 22nd to September 22nd.

After which it will mercifully, become fall.

If you really want to get nit-picky about it, and I do, each of the aforementioned one month segments can themselves be further subdivided into three 10 day segments that, according to the JHMMOTGFHHOASDWHTST? Scale, would be called Early Early Summer, Mid Early Summer, Late Early Summer, Early Mid Summer, Mid Mid Summer, Late Mid Summer, Early Late Summer, Mid Late Summer and finally, Late Late Summer.

Using this scale, one can determine with a reasonable degree of accuracy, how much more of this God forsaken hell hole of a season one has to suffer through.

Hence the name, Jimbo's How Much More Of This God Forsaken Hell Hole Of A Season Do We Have To Suffer Through? Scale.

At this point, you might be thinking to yourself that I am kind of obsessed with summer.

Fair enough. But what I am really obsessed with is the passing of summer.

Why? BECAUSE I DESPISE SUMMER!!!!!

When you live in a place like this, where summertime is a long, slow, hot, humid, sticky, sweaty, sweltering, oozing blob of misery smack dab in the middle of every year, in which it's too miserable to go outside and do anything or even drag your ass up out of your chair for anything other than to schlep to the refrigerator for the purpose of guzzling ice water by the gallon, you have a lot of time on your hands to sit there and obsess about how much more of this living hell you have left to suffer through.

Therefore, every single minute of every single day gets analyzed, added, subtracted, counted, calculated and catalogued with respect to how many days of it are behind you and how many are still ahead to be suffered through.

Not surprisingly, the closer it gets to the end of summer and the beginning of fall, the slower the days seem to pass, which is just the opposite of that nice, comfortable part of the year, which seems to pass before you even fully realize it's here.

At any rate, Happy Late Summer everybody!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 4:59pm
Hail to     JHMMOTGFHHOASDWHTST!

I would have hooked up that Air Conditioner but to each his own.
Sunny here, windy. Only 64 degrees.  Embarrassed

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Sunny here, windy. Only 64 degrees.  Embarrassed

grumblegrumblemuttermutteryeahfûckyoubuddywithyourpleasntweatherwhyioughttagrumblegrumblemuttermutteryoullgetyoursjustyouwaitgrumblegrumble

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 5:34pm
LOLLOL
Nanner nanner nanner!
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 5:36pm
 LOL
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 6:36pm
Just came in from an official late-summer morning of yard chores and dog-playing-with, and MrsD and I were discussing the amount of walnut tree leaves on the ground. Yep! It's official! When I have to start sifting those out of the dog's pool, autumn is just around the bend.

Spent the 6AM hour outside with a citronella candle lit, shirt off, dog chasing a red dot in the dark, waiting for a 60 degree sunrise. I do believe my nipples even got a little stiff.

Thumbs Up

In all honesty, though, summer wasn't all that bad this year in these parts.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 7:51pm
I wish I had some nice mature hardwood trees.
Do you ever harvest the Walnuts? I love those things.
I have only about a third of an acre. One Ash tree in the front yard, 3 maples and a cottonwood in the back. 2 blue spruce and a regular pine type of conifer.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 8:08pm
The trees are a mixed blessing. You get the woods feel, the shade, and all that majestic majesty, but you also get the leaves (which aren't all that big a deal once you figure out how to deal with them) and fallen limbs and stuff. I pulled enough grape vines out of the trees/bushes this summer to make a pile that hides our shed. :P

We have about 2/3 of an acre, 60' oak and 50' maple out front, with a redbud that has to come out this fall under the oak. Out back there's 6 of the 40' walnut trees in a cluster, about a dozen other mature trees, including a 60' locust, and about a half dozen young trees. We're going out next weekend to see if we can find some rose of sharon on sale to start along the back where the asshole neighbor tore out the foliage and put in a "lovely" privacy fence.

I haven't harvested the walnuts yet, but I'm planning to this year. I thought they were crap, thick-shelled black walnuts, but recently my dad told me that those can be some of the best ones. I'll have too read up on how to best get that green stuff off of them, roast them, and all that.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Another month?!Angry
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

The trees are a mixed blessing. You get the woods feel, the shade, and all that majestic majesty, but you also get the leaves (which aren't all that big a deal once you figure out how to deal with them) and fallen limbs and stuff.

When I moved up here from S.C., I rented this house for awhile. The property line was a row of walnut trees.
The walnuts fell on the roof and the backyard. Used to climb up on the roof and knock as many as possible down with a rake or something.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:17pm
Mine drop all over the Northeast quarter of the back yard. I'm surprised I haven't taken one to the nugget in all these years. I just walk around kicking them into the grassless area in the tree's shade until they're done falling, then rake them up and pitch them. Used to, anyway. This year I'm going to roast some and see.

Big smile
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Another month?!Angry

Unfortunately.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:22pm
Ah, come one, this is the coolest trimester! You can make it.

LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:27pm
If there's anything left of me other than a pool of sweat by the time it's over.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:29pm
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:38pm

Mine drop all over the Northeast quarter of the back yard. I'm surprised I haven't taken one to the nugget in all these years. I just walk around kicking them into the grassless area in the tree's shade until they're done falling, then rake them up and pitch them. Used to, anyway. This year I'm going to roast some and see.

Big smile
That place had a wood stove but I never bothered(or knew how to get that green covering off) cooking them. Had to rake them or the lawnmower would shoot them out.
School starts Sept.7 here.

Another good sign summer is on it's last gasp. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:45pm
The green covering is the part I'm not looking forward to. If I understand correctly, that's the part that stains pretty much everything it touches. Then again, I could just pound them with my walking stick and get a free walnut finish.

Schol for the most part has already started here, the exception being the nearby Catholic school that starts up Tuesday.

Thumbs Up
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 12:23am

Yep.

Same image I was envisioning.

The end of Fatty the Sweatman.

I never touched that little girl, though!!!!

No matter what she tells you....

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 12:32am
Shocked You been eatin' too much Subway, I was thinking she was a granddaughter or something.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 12:39am
I hate fall. It's dark, depressing and leads into the 5-6 months of that bullsh*t season called winter. I'll take the hot and humid all year to not have all the freezing cold, ice, and umpteen feet of freaking snow. From what I've heard, the Farmers Almanac says it's going to be a bitch of a winter this year. A "superwinter" of sorts. To be honest,  I'm not real curious to find out. Hell, Lowes is already advertising snowblowers. WTF? Oh well, maybe next year we'll get to move southwest. I guess I'll just enjoy what's left of the warmth before it's over. 

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 12:49am
In Daytona Beach, October can't come soon enough! Angry

aka ron. You might want to know when I went on my Amusement Park-Hopping Trips to Minnesota in 2009 and Indiana this past July, one of the things I did was ENJOY the mid-60s to low 70s temperatures I encountered. Cool

During the Winter, people from the north (That's Snowbirds for those of you in Rio Linda! LOL) come to Florida to bask in the sun. I was doing THE EXACT OPPOSITE, traveling north to bask IN THE COOLER TEMPERATURES.

Newton was right. for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction! Thumbs Up
Poiuyt Power!!!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 12:55am
Originally posted by i8acannibal i8acannibal wrote:

I hate fall. It's dark, depressing and leads into the 5-6 months of that bullsh*t season called winter. I'll take the hot and humid all year to not have all the freezing cold, ice, and umpteen feet of freaking snow. From what I've heard, the Farmers Almanac says it's going to be a bitch of a winter this year. A "superwinter" of sorts. To be honest,  I'm not real curious to find out. Hell, Lowes is already advertising snowblowers. WTF? Oh well, maybe next year we'll get to move southwest. I guess I'll just enjoy what's left of the warmth before it's over. 

To each his own, but for me, I always looked at it like "You can put on more clothes if you're cold, but you can only take off so much if you're hot". I'm not looking forward to another super winter, we've had 2 in a row already, but I will say that those two winters seem to have killed off the stink bug problem we were having in this area. I have heaters and blankets, and little neighborhood kids who like to shovel snow for money... when I can't get the Ram out of the driveway... which so far has been never.

LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 1:24am

I hear what you're saying. Extreme weather sucks no matter which end of the scale it's on.

I dunno. I think maybe someplace like N. Carolina would be a more ideal place to live. In the summer you can go up in the higher elevations where it's cool and dry, then come winter, move back down to the flatlands where at least it's not as bad as the far NE where you live now.

I honestly don't think you'd enjoy Florida summer weather year 'round, though.

It gets old really fast.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 3:23am

To each his own, but for me, I always looked at it like "You can put on more clothes if you're cold, but you can only take off so much if you're hot". I'm not looking forward to another super winter, we've had 2 in a row already, but I will say that those two winters seem to have killed off the stink bug problem we were having in this area. I have heaters and blankets, and little neighborhood kids who like to shovel snow for money... when I can't get the Ram out of the driveway... which so far has been never.

LOL

"You can put on more clothes if you're cold, but you can only take off so much if you're hot".

Nope. 

In summer you can always go swimming to cool off.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 3:53am

I hear what you're saying. Extreme weather sucks no matter which end of the scale it's on.

I dunno. I think maybe someplace like N. Carolina would be a more ideal place to live. In the summer you can go up in the higher elevations where it's cool and dry, then come winter, move back down to the flatlands where at least it's not as bad as the far NE where you live now.

I honestly don't think you'd enjoy Florida summer weather year 'round, though.

It gets old really fast.

I'm pretty sure that I could handle it. I spent a summer down in Louisiana  (New Orleans) back in 2001. I wore almost all black the whole time down there. Black pants, black shirts. (Don't ask, it was a "phase".) Went down to visit my father and my uncle. Absolutely loved it. Of course they thought I was nuts, but hey, whatever. With that said,  I do eventually want to move towards Arizona for the same reason you mentioned N. Carolina. To be able to go to the mountains and cool off every once in a while. But I am still trying to convince the wife. She hates hot and loves fall. Opposites attract, I guess.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic