Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ross - "Gotta Go To Ross" Musical

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ross - "Gotta Go To Ross" Musical
    Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 10:49pm
Cannot wait until school fully starts so this pile of garbage can end!
(As well as the other BTS ads - Target especially!)

Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 11:04pm
I see jeans with holes in them are back in style.Ermm
videotapeguy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videotapeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 12:46am
Every back to school commercial has hip hop or rap in the background.
Back after three years away from here.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:11am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

When I was that age, ripped jeans meant you've worn them well. You certainly wouldn't buy them that way.

Nearly 3x that age, though, I've discovered that jeans with holes in the knees are actually kind of irritating.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:30am
Gawd, I hate those awful commercials.

Especially that little lead lip-syncher twerp.

Everything about those kids just makes me want to retch.

I sure do hope real kids aren't like that.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 5:54pm
I believe we have a Ross in Yakima, but they never advertise on TV. When I lived in Seattle, Ross advertised all the frickin' time.
I hate jeans with holes. Many schools prohibit kids bringing those types of pants to school - "dress for success". If they have holes in the kneecaps, time to throw them away.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

I believe we have a Ross in Yakima, but they never advertise on TV. When I lived in Seattle, Ross advertised all the frickin' time.
I hate jeans with holes. Many schools prohibit kids bringing those types of pants to school - "dress for success". If they have holes in the kneecaps, time to throw them away.

The serviceable clothes I outgrew went to charity. Anything with holes went to the burn barrel. We have a Ross in the nearby capital city. My youngest Son worked there in 1989/90 and had a substantial employee discount. I purchased decent clothing at very decent prices. I went there in 2010 looking for shorts and lightweight shirts for a trip to Mexico. 100% ghetto garbage!       
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 6:38pm
I never could figure out the ripped jeans look. Exactly Thor, back in the 80s if you showed up to school wearing these jeans that look like they went through a shredder, you'd be teased and called a "bum." If I happened to tear my jeans in the knee or anywhere else, that was that..I'd probably only wear them at home or the weekends - and even then I found the hole annoying.

This brand is insane, I've seen these sold at the large outlet mall in Northeast Philly, "cheaper"...only $120,$150 bucks. Stupid! Angry

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

When I was that age, ripped jeans meant you've worn them well. You certainly wouldn't buy them that way.

Nearly 3x that age, though, I've discovered that jeans with holes in the knees are actually kind of irritating.

When I was working, the knees were the first thing to go.
Then comes the cut off shorts.
Now, the back pocket seams give out, I don't have a big ass.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by ThatNerdInPhilly ThatNerdInPhilly wrote:

I never could figure out the ripped jeans look. Exactly Thor, back in the 80s if you showed up to school wearing these jeans that look like they went through a shredder, you'd be teased and called a "bum." If I happened to tear my jeans in the knee or anywhere else, that was that..I'd probably only wear them at home or the weekends - and even then I found the hole annoying.

This brand is insane, I've seen these sold at the large outlet mall in Northeast Philly, "cheaper"...only $120,$150 bucks. Stupid! Angry

$248 seems a little steep but how could I resist free shipping?
The jeans I normally buy (Rustler) are good quality. long lasting, fit me, and sell for $12.99 ($10.99 on sale)! I'll just have to live without the holes.    Could this be one of the reasons why I am financially comfortable?
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 8:45pm
$250 for a pair of jeans?Shocked "destroyed" jeans non the less. Be willing to bet $220 of that is pure profit. 
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 9:04pm
The only Ross I can think of now is Ross Geller! The whiny friend on Friends!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 3:44am
ripped jeans are the brain child of a clothing industry that knows damn well they will rip MORE=
'i need a NEW pair of ripped jeans as my RIPPED JEANS ripped APART'
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 1:49pm

I wore them into the 80s. I was a Ramones fan.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 3:55pm

WinkI wore mine into the mid-70's, then I grew up (quit reading and watching cartoons, too!). I recall having both holes and holes I had to have patched up. Some called me a bit of a 'Hippie', but I always knew about the benefits of 'air conditioning' and 'baby-making fast-pathing' (was more wishful thinking, at first...then 'reality' struck)...LOL
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 5:40pm

Yep, looks like my 80s. Long hair, tight jeans with holes, all that. I look back and think "what was I thinking", but then I think maybe those tight jeans are why I don't have kids. I kept the hair fairly long until the mid 90s, when i lost a bet and shaved my head. It's been shaved since. It gets an inch long and I'm "how did I ever stand hair to my ass?!".
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 6:15pm
This commercial started out extremely annoying and gets exponentially worse each time it airs.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

Yep, looks like my 80s. Long hair, tight jeans with holes, all that. I look back and think "what was I thinking", but then I think maybe those tight jeans are why I don't have kids. I kept the hair fairly long until the mid 90s, when i lost a bet and shaved my head. It's been shaved since. It gets an inch long and I'm "how did I ever stand hair to my ass?!".

You reach an age when ripped jeans no longer make you look cool. They make you look old and poor.

I remember having the Ramones' hair-in-the-eyes look. That became annoying around the same time that holes in the knees of my jeans did.

My 40 year-old friend/ex-neighbor Jason just cut off his waist-length ponytail. He didn't shave it, though. It's maybe 2 inches long.

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 7:01pm

You reach an age when ripped jeans no longer make you look cool. They make you look old and poor.

I remember having the Ramones' hair-in-the-eyes look. That became annoying around the same time that holes in the knees of my jeans did.

My 40 year-old friend/ex-neighbor Jason just cut off his waist-length ponytail. He didn't shave it, though. It's maybe 2 inches long.

True story: Any time I go out shopping for anything fairly pricey... a car, furniture, etc., I go out with my yard clothes on. Beat up pants or shorts, t-shirt with the sleeves cut off, stuff like that. I want to look as poor as possible. Why? Because sales reps don't bother you if they think you look like you don't have any money.

MrsD and I went to get new furniture for the living room and office, so I put on a pair of work shorts and a Grateful Dead t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. When we walked in, it was like Dawn in dishwater... the salesmen all vanished. Except one lady, who noticed my wedding ring. It's kinda nice. She came up and introduced herself, gave us her card, and let us browse a bit. When we were ready, there she was, waiting for a nod. The salesmen who scattered like cockroaches when they saw me had to stand there, with no customers, and listen as Bertie wrote up our roughly $6500 order.

It's just good fun.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:21pm

True story: Any time I go out shopping for anything fairly pricey... a car, furniture, etc., I go out with my yard clothes on. Beat up pants or shorts, t-shirt with the sleeves cut off, stuff like that. I want to look as poor as possible. Why? Because sales reps don't bother you if they think you look like you don't have any money.

I know a woman who taped up her expensive camera to make it look like a piece of crap, so that potential thieves would ignore it as she walked around San Francisco.

ChrisInMI View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisInMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 12:07am
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

The only Ross I can think of now is Ross Geller! The whiny friend on Friends!

Or Ross Ewich ("raw sewage")... the sadistic floor director on "You Can't Do That On Television," played by the amazing Les Lye (R.I.P.).
ChrisInMI View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisInMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 12:11am
This whole thing looks (and sounds) like a really bad "Glee" musical number.  And I thought the flannel-shirt-tied-around-the-waist thing went out with 1995.

Ross advertises a lot on local Detroit TV but I haven't seen this one until now.  And after seeing this one, I'll never complain about the Ross commercials we see in the Detroit area again - even if they do air two to a commercial break.  They're just simple interviews with people purporting to be actual Ross students, sometimes bookended by a short musical tagline: "Change your tomorrow, today."
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 12:29am
Originally posted by ChrisInMI ChrisInMI wrote:

And I thought the flannel-shirt-tied-around-the-waist thing went out with 1995.

I never even knew it was a "thing".   I just thought it was something one did out of convenience...like resting sunglasses on one's head or folding up jean cuffs when they're too long.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic