Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NO good cartoons on TV!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 6:22pm
I used to watch Powerpuff girls. Then for some reason I stopped. Probably I was more interested in more adult things. I think I'm tired of it now. I don't watch it anymore.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

[QUOTE=DKS]
I'd say "please provide an example", but since we're talking about PPG (which I always made the kids turn off in favor of more healthy alternatives, such as PeeWee or Ren & Stimpy), I'll just assume you were forced to watch them by older sisters, or you're a true 'cartoon aficionado'Wink

Niece was a fan, sister noted the more subtle humor for the grownups. I can't think of any way that PeeWee was better. R&S was weird enough to be entertaining sometimes.
WinkAnyone that has seen the ORIGINAL 'PeeWee's Playhouse' knows it was NOT a 'children's show'LOLLOL. Captain Carl (Phil Hartman) and Mailman Mike (john Moody)? It also starred Lawrence Fishburne and was pretty entertaining.
Don't think many realize Rob Zombie and S. Epatha Merkerson actually got their first breaks here, also.
CURTIS<<<---Cowboy Curtis (Fishburne)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 8:00pm
I think it's a "lost genre", the true face-value FAMILY show. The Muppets, PWPH, Dinosaurs, the early episodes of The Simpsons, etc. Shows that very clearly were not targeting a demographic, but demographics, with cuteness, zaniness, and silliness the kids giggle at for no reason, the sometimes shockingly over-the-top jokes, gimmicks, etc. that only the teens and adults seemed to pick up on

(Worthy example I can think of is Miss Piggy attempting to rape Rudolf Nureyev)

The kind of shows that appeal to the entire spectrum of demographics because they can, not in the more modern way of "subtext and subtleties" that some adults may not even catch on to.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

WinkAnyone that has seen the ORIGINAL 'PeeWee's Playhouse' knows it was NOT a 'children's show'LOL

Yes, it was creepy and disturbing, but...not good.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 1:33am
^There's something for everyone. I enjoyed it.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Kool_Kat View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kool_Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 5:19pm
Folks: Cool

Jonny Quest - one of the all time best cartoons! Thumbs Up Good animation and excellent story lines. A classic in every sense of the word!

"Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising." - Mark Twain
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 5:27pm
Ah yes Johhny Quest, I remember seeing it late at night on Boomerang around 2012! Very good cartoon!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:38pm
Cartoons are no more than bubblegum for the brain. You will grow up and your life will change when you quit watching them.
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:45pm
But I don't want to grow up and be a whorey old chestnut.

LOL
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:51pm
Go to 1:25,  hehehehehehehe

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 1:22am
I'm not going to laugh at that because PaW will pick on me.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Kool_Kat Kool_Kat wrote:

Folks: Cool

Jonny Quest - one of the all time best cartoons! Thumbs Up Good animation and excellent story lines. A classic in every sense of the word!

I was watching Johnny Quest back when they were still making them new.

That was in the mid 1960's, around '64 and '65.

And yes, that's how old I am.... Ermm

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 1:57am
^  Friday nights at 7:30, as I recall.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  Friday nights at 7:30, as I recall. 

I don't recall the day of the week, but I know it was on in the evenings.

As were The Flintstones, too.

I wasn't living too far from you back then.

East end of Long Island.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 10:29am
The Flintstones came on right after Jonny Quest, as I recall.  Channel 7 (in our area, I believe).

I don't recall if The Flintstone's futuristic counterpart (The Jetsons) were ever on in prime time.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 8:47pm
I still remember them doing a remake of Johnny Quest in the 1990s. It was more fanciful than the original cartoon. Plus it didn't have that cool ass Jet so...

I remember it having a more pronounced theme to it. IIRC it started before The Sonic The Hedgehog Show on WTXX 20 now WCCT.

I can't believe the hours on local channels that were occupied by cartoons 22 years ago are now occupied by court and talk shows.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic