Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New and Improved Containers???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New and Improved Containers???
    Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 12:28am
From time to time, I like to enjoy a wonderful ham sandwich with the Tangy Taste of Miracle Whip. I don't eat it a lot, because after my gastric bypass surgery, I can't eat nearly as much as I once did (THANK GOD!! LOL) but anyway!!! So in the past two or three months I have had about three jars of Miracle Whip bought and brought into my house. I swear guys each three times, we've bought it, it has been in a different  shaped container!! WHY????

I hate waste!! I think blowing money just because you can is STUPID!!!! I wouldn't buy a brand new car, even if I were a millionare, because a car two years old has depreciated half it's value already. I just don't see spending that much money for something that will lose half it's value in two friggin years, but that's just me. I'm kind of wierd on sh*t like that. Anyway, these product containers don't just fall out of the damned sky. Someone has to design them.....YES  there are people in the world who get up every damned day, go to work and sit with a pencil, brainstorming shapes for Mayonnaise jars!!! I saw it on the Apprentice once. Container design is a very lucrative business. Think about it, everything you buy these days comes in some kind of package. That stuff doesn't just happen, it's planned out. Machines, molds, and printers have to be built, programmed, and maintenanced and it's NOT a cheap process. These containers of every size, shape and sort are overlooked and taken for granted by most people because we see them as...TRASH!!! RIGHT!! LOL come, on you know if you want a Snickers bar, you buy it and RIP off the wrapper and right into the trash it goes. But there is no telling how much money was spent to design and print that damned wrapper and get it around that candy bar. Not to mention paying Mr. T to shoot them at sissified speed walkers!!! LOL

I had to set it up before I knocked it down, but my point is this, every time a business decides to change a container, it has to come down through the ranks from an executive. Why do they spend sooo much friggin time messing around with the containers that mean absolutely nothing. I mean, I appreciate the squeezable Ketchup bottles, and the resealable Deli meat containers, but to change my Miracle Whip container to one that is similar to the previous one but really has NO tactical or functional difference, only the asthetic....what's the fuccking point??? Tell you what Kraft, next time you need to throw away a lot of money for virtually  nothing, send it my way. I promise to keep buying Miracle Whip periodically!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 12:38am

The matter of dropping anywhere from .5-1.0 ounce of product - a SAVINGS - justifies convincing you and so many others to buy their new 'sensible' container, eh?  (and thus, they profit)

Some of us simply forgot how to use a butter knife, I guess....

Packaging sells - you'll grab the new, easier-to-use package, without realizing it isn't quite as full.
And the COST of re-engineering to MAKE the new packages is far outweighed by the profit made through convincing commercials.

No secret here.

Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 12:50am
You know PA, have you ever bought anything that is supposed to have a new resealable zipper bag, only the damned zipper never works!! OR it gets damaged in the initial opening process and pulls away from the sides of the bags. ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! I know I am paying 20% more for this fricken packaging but it isn't working, so what's the damned point?? OH yeah I know, just another way companies can stick it to the consumer in a "legal" way!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 1:00am
Great point, WS!

I generally HATE 're-sealable' packages...until the other day.

MissyD bought a fews packages of Oscar Meyer Turkey and Ham sandwich slices - in the 'new and improved' re-sealable packages' (they have plasic 'sliders', to ensure proper closing).

It cost more - but this time, I'll give them a ONE thumb up - simply for those that have never heard of 'Tupperware', or 'Saran Wrap'.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 4:58am
Yeah, I have the same experience, every once in a while you'll get one that actually works. My wife used to buy this salad mix in a resealable bag, and it tasted great, but the damned bag NEVER worked. I have a lot of those spring loaded clothes pins laying around for that kind of stuff.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 5:15am
The fleecing of America continues. Cry   A POUND of coffee isn't a pound anymore.   Hellmans mayo downsized their regular sized jar to make it look like the orginal 32 oz. jar and then jacked up the price!   And I just thought of something...is it even available in the glass jars anymore??  I swear when they moved it into plastic, it spoiled the taste.  Not only that, but they changed the formula.   Why not leave well enough alone??   Kraft Mac and Cheese was invented in the year of my Mom's birth, 1937.   They've had to screw with that stuff, too.   She says it doesn't taste the same anymore.   And they've also stuck it into microwave "cups".   3/4 cup of Mac and Cheese isn't enough for me for a meal..I am a hungry woman!! Tongue
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 5:36am
I swear that they sometimes design containers so that the bottom can be increasingly "recessed" whenever the company decides they want to decrease the contents of the container.

I hate those small (microwaveable) portion size containers.  All that packaging for a few spoonfuls of what-passes-for food seems the epitome of crass consumerism and bad ecology.

I can't be bothered with the zipper on the zipper bags.  Even if they work, you end up having to mess around with it in order to expel all the air in the bag.  I keep rubber bands and those little plastic bread bag clip things handy.

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 5:49am

Thor the "recessed container trick"?  It's real.  Buyer beware!  I sampled some "Weight Watchers" individual serving ice cream.   There was a 4,000 foot cavern in the bottom of that cup.  Going the WRONG DIRECTION!  Wink

And a warning about "Hefty One Zip" bags.  They're called that for a reason.   You zip 'em once...and they're DONE.  Wink

"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
brainshake View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 3:49pm
Miracle Whip bragged up their new jar on a commercial as being a "new" wide mouth jar.  Well, I still have a few of the old glass wide mouth miracle whip jars laying around.    Why they ever switched to the narrow is beyond me.  Probably so they could come back in a few years and make themselves sound like geniuses for coming up with the wide mouth.   
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 3:58pm
The new 'resealable' packaging rarely works and tends to aggravate me.  I put most packaged food in regular ZipLock bags.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 4:08pm
I often have to put resealable product bags inside another resealable bag: aggravating.

Those re-tape-able cookie packages are similar.  It's easier to get to the cookies, but they don't seal nicely and if you want to keep your cookies fresh for longer than 2 hours, you need a big ziploc to put the package in.

What I really hate is all this plastic.  I hate tasting plastic when I have a sip of WATER.  Blecch.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 4:29pm
Ah packaging.
A multi BILLION dollar industry. I lived in a paper town and worked in the paper mills over the summer in college and the packaging people LOVE tricking the public.

We made ice cream cartons and I remember the foreman remarking about how he had to go see his supervisor about some recalibrations of cutting and and shape and graphics.
Seems they were going to quietly "shave" 25% off a 1/2 gallon and shrink and move the print of the size of the carton.

So we started to make 1.75 quart container sheets.
I started to see them in stores on other brands within months.
Recently I was marvelling at the price difference in Dreyer's vs a store brand of ice cream only to see that Dreyer's is now 1.5 qts vs. the store brands now standard 1.75 qts.

ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 5:29pm
Wait... Wild buys a JAR of Miracle Whip a month?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 5:31pm
I've made it a habit to look at the little tags beneath the products at the supermarket, to see the cost per ounce or unit.  It's amazing how much difference there is for the same product in different shaped or sized containers.  Sometimes, just because of the wide-mouthed or easy-pour (or whatever) container, the smaller container of the product is actually more expensive.

I get spices and garlic powder and pepper and such in the Mexican aisle of the supermarket, because the packaging seems to make it a lot cheaper.  Or maybe it's the salmonella.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 6:15pm
yeah ethnic markets in general have cheaper stuff. I get hoisin sauce at a asian market for a good dollar cheaper, that and siracha.
Bulk spices are the way to go if you are after  quick use stuff.

In a perfect world I'd be getting my spices whole, from organic, fair trade endorsed markets where I roast and grind them as I go.
But in reality, I have to settle on a 4 oz baggy of processed cumin powder that probably has conveyor belt dirt mixed in with it.

That price per ounce is sometimes a selling point, but there are times i don't WANT a gallon of  vinegar.
Also money in hand will motivate me to get a smaller amount at a higher pricer per amount level
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

He's got 5 kids. Shocked
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 9:25am
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

Yeah.......... your point??? Are you saying that's a lot, or not enough??? LOL
I only use it about two or three times, then the kids hit it and it's gone. I don't buy it a whole lot, and not really every month. Just when I get the craving for my favorite ham.

Yep got five kids. My wife and I both had a kid when we met, and then we had three together. You seem shocked?? LOL Ought to try walking in my shoes!! LOL They drive me batsh*t!!!

LOL anyone else here have a lot of kids like me?? LOL When you have a lot of kids, the dynamic of so many things change. You buy groceries by the bulk, cook for an army, and use electricity, water, and things like laundry detergent, dish washing liquid, toilet paper etc, etc, like it's going out of style.  sh*t, when I was trying to lose weight before my surgery, I tried buying apples and doing salads and stuff like that....... HUH.... my kids would all raid my stuff and after one day it was like we'd never even gone to the supermarket at all!! They remind me of those cartoon moths....you know they swarm something and when they fly away it's been picked clean!! LOL Look like my refrigerator!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic