Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brita Water Filters - Drink Responsibly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 12:03am

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with everyone that this is a bad commercial.

It is more responsible to drink filtered water from reusable containers than to buy small bottles of water.

It is a good play on words in regard to its similarity to the alcohol drink responsibly ads.

This is a very smart commercial that took some thought, unlike most of the stupid ones out there.

Sponsored Links

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 2:20pm
The slow pace, water pouring (that sounds like pee), and smug "more fit AND environmentally conscious than you" implication make this commercial annoying.

That said - we have a well, and a water softening system in the basement.  We drink the water just fine, but I still prefer the taste of bottled spring water, which I refuse to buy. 

So: I have put a brita filter on my wish list.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 3:56pm

here's the problem I have with this commercial.  The message about less consumption...it's good.  it's necessary.  we SHOULD be responsible about the amount of waste we produce.  But...Brita doesn't give a Censored about anything but selling their product.  There seems to be a trend of this feigned sincerity to sell products.  I would have thought that people are smart enough to see through it, but people also seem to like Sarah Palin so that theory is out.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 4:01pm
I don't know her, personally Wink, but from what I see on TV I think I like Tina Fey way more than her.

JerkyLips is dead-on about the feigned sincerity.  Clap
shebazz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shebazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 5:55am
Originally posted by pinniped pinniped wrote:

Their pouring water into a glass sounds like someone taking a piss.

The first time I was in the same room with this commercial, I wasn't looking, and totally thought someone was pissing on TV. Why do they need to even have sound at that part?
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 8:34am
The big problem I have with this ad is the fact that I am SICK of everyone trying to make me feel like a piece of sh*t if I don't do everything they THINK I should do, because THEY think I should do it!! I am not one to run around and waste things or blow sh*t up, throw stuff out my windows while driving down the road, or pour my used motor oil in the creek. I don't separate my plastics from the glass and so forth cause I ain't got the f**king time, and there are folks in my town that my tax dollars pay to do that for me. So f**king let them do it, I'm paying them to.

These days there are way too many people telling me how I should think an making snide comments about how stupid I am if I don't think like them. Take for instance the crack just made about Sarah Palin.....HOW THE HELL did she get brought in to this?? Oh yeah...because someone thinks your un-intelligent if you like her. So what disagree on things but name calling and insulting peoples intelligence just because they don't think like you do, demeans and lessens your impact in a debate. It's like when you find yourself losing an argument you scream out, "FUCCK YOU!!!"  When you've had your say and you lose...insult, demean, try to make your opponent or person disagreeing with you look stupid. In the case of this commercial, if you do something like buy a bottle of water, you are NOT RESPONSIBLE!!!

Oh get ready for it folks!! I just saw a story on the news a few days ago where they try to say that chemicals form plastics are causing cancer!!! OH BROTHER!!!! Is it because plastic is a petroleum product too that we have to attack it? Someone has popped the cork and the environmental Nazis have went ape sh*t!! Look, chemicals have mass. If chemicals are mixed together to form plastic, the resulting bottle, cup, bowl or whatever has mass and weight. If the chemical compounds making up plastics were tainting the contents of plastic containers then the containers would be losing mass and weight!!  Has anyone bothered to weight the containers?? This argument is just someone trying to put a scare into the public!! Please don't buy into it. They try to scare you away from plastic saying it has harmful chemicals. then they turn around and fill our foods with chemical preservatives.
Take a look at NaturalPath.com sometimes. A quote from their harmful food additives page:

Preservatives such as BHA, BHT and EDTA are used in small quantities in grain products like cereal, soup bases, and other foods containing oil to prevent rancidity. These are potentially toxic to the liver and kidneys, and they've been known to cause allergic reactions and neurotoxic effects. Children can be especially sensitive to preservatives and they may cause behavioral changes and hyperactivity. Interestingly, BHT is prohibited as a food additive in the UK.

I hardly doubt one single friggin tree died because I threw a water bottle in the damned trash, but kids are being diagnosed more and more these days with ADD, ADHD and a host of other things. But that's not an environmental issue so it's not important. One days this forgotten dog is gonna bite us in the ass....HARD!!!

I do use water filters. I have a DuPont and I use them exclusively, because they are the only ones that don't break every other month, or clog up. Using the "Drink Responsibly" line just pisses me off and offends the living sh*t out of me!!! BRITA, I'll not be buying anything with your name on it!! EVER!!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 9:39am
I bought a water cooler recently because I drink a lot of water.  I got tired of the water filter on the sink thing.  Plus we have very bad water here with heavy lead content.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by jerkylips jerkylips wrote:

I would have thought that people are smart enough to see through it, but people also seem to like Sarah Palin so that theory is out.

Jerkylips, I like Palin, and I'm not a stupid man.  I know it's pop culture to call Palin and people who like her "stupid", but saying such things in such an off-the-cuff way, just makes you look like the one with no mind.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Wild Starchild Wild Starchild wrote:

Oh get ready for it folks!! I just saw a story on the news a few days ago where they try to say that chemicals form plastics are causing cancer!!! OH BROTHER!!!! Is it because plastic is a petroleum product too that we have to attack it? Someone has popped the cork and the environmental Nazis have went ape sh*t!! Look, chemicals have mass. If chemicals are mixed together to form plastic, the resulting bottle, cup, bowl or whatever has mass and weight. If the chemical compounds making up plastics were tainting the contents of plastic containers then the containers would be losing mass and weight!!  Has anyone bothered to weight the containers?? This argument is just someone trying to put a scare into the public!! Please don't buy into it. They try to scare you away from plastic saying it has harmful chemicals. then they turn around and fill our foods with chemical preservatives.
Take a look at NaturalPath.com sometimes. A quote from their harmful food additives page:

San Francisco has banned the sale of sippy cups and other plastic kiddie products, and is banning the purchase of bottled water by city employees. 

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 4:35pm

Be warned, San Francisco:

Your streets are about to become mighty sticky.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 4:54pm
About to???  I guess you've never been there, Holly.  The streets and alleyways and sidewalks and doorways and steps in SF are quite---shall we say---laminated. 

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 5:34pm
No, I've never been there.

That's too bad.  With the kids in their gigantic strollers waving open cups of juice around, it's only going to get worse.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 9:13am
http://tinyurl.com/5jmaor

Beginning in January, Brita will be taking back their filters!  Since the press release URL contains the word(s) "fakeplasticfish," I guess that poster was just here to plug the effort.  But I'm glad s/he was, because this is a really great thing.

So, JerkyLips, although you might think Brita (Clorox) is insincere, they worked with the Sierra Club to produce the CleanWorks, their line of "green" cleaning products, and they have listened to a growing group of people who want them to recycle their filters.

My estimation of Clorox has just gone up!

fakeplasticfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeplasticfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 9:26am
Well, @FaithSF, you got me!  I did join to plug the campaign because this forum came up on a Google search when I was trying to find video of the Brita commercials.  But then I stayed and lurked because it was fun.

Yay for Brita!  I have always been pretty cynical when big corporations attempt to "go green," but this time I really feel like Clorox wants to do the right thing.  Compare them to Dixie, which is promoting disposable plates for every meal!

Or maybe it's Barack Obama.  Every time I think of him I get happy and optimistic inside.

Tongue

Beth
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 7:52pm
Hey, Beth, I'm glad to see you are still here!  Thank you so much for the link and info about Take Back The Filter!  I agree with you about Obama.  It isn't that, as other posters have put it, I think he's the Messiah (I don't).  But I am putting my faith in him, and I am proud that the country has matured.  [My mother, may she rest in peace, would have just been thrilled to the bone to see Obama win the election.  She was our Girl Scout troop leader back in the early '60s, and she made the troop's "Make Your Own Badge" the Brotherhood Badge. Looking back, I'm very proud of her, too!]

fakeplasticfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeplasticfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Wild Starchild Wild Starchild wrote:

I hardly doubt one single friggin tree died because I threw a water bottle in the damned trash, but kids are being diagnosed more and more these days with ADD, ADHD and a host of other things. But that's not an environmental issue so it's not important. One days this forgotten dog is gonna bite us in the ass....HARD!!!

Actually, ADD and ADHD are being linked to environmental causes.  Chemicals do leach from plastics.  A team of scientists in Alberta, Canada in fact, have just discovered chemicals leaching from one of the plastics we thought was the safest - polypropylene (#5).

Trees don't die because you throw water bottles in the trash.  No one says that they do.  But all of our environmental actions have consequences.  And those consequences, added up, are what may eventually, as you so eloquently put it, "bit us in the ass...HARD."

Have a nice day.  Statera works wonders for my husband's ADD, but the way.  Maybe check it out?

Tongue
badp View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2008 at 3:38am
How about instead of buying their planet-hating, ozone-destroying, non-biodegradable PLASTIC pitcher and PLASTIC filters made in some dirty, polluting factory, we just drink water straight form the tap!  BOO YAH my city water works is greener than you are, Brita.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic