Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nationwide Invisible Mindy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nationwide Invisible Mindy
    Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 1:27pm
Okay, so this ad in and of itself is pretty easy to tune out. There's no whistling or off key singing or yelling or obnoxious rap music to tune out, so that's a plus. But what occurred to me was how huge a double standard it features! It starts with this "Mindy" girl thinking she's invisible, so she goes around stealing food and stuff, then at the end, she goes to feel up some dude's bicep and he backs off and wants to know what she's doing. She replies "don't look at me like that, there are worse things than an attractive woman touching your body!" then gets all huffy like the dude had no right to wonder why some random stranger was trying to feel up his arms. The thing is, can you imagine the outrage feminist groups would be directing at this ad if the roles were reversed? If instead of Invisible Mindy it was Invisible Jimmy, going to grab at some girl in the gym, then saying something like "What, there are worse things than a buff man touching your body?" when she backs away? Does anyone think that version of the ad would fly?

"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 2:40pm
Exactly what crossed my mind when I saw this commercial.  Not to mention there's always been something about this chick that really rubs me the wrong way. 

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 2:45pm

Yeah, there's a double standard here, but it's not one I get too riled up about.  But then again, I also think it's ridiculous that the feminist groups get riled up when the roles are reversed.  I just don't care if either gender "objectifies" the other a bit.

tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 2:54pm
She is a bit of a pudger and has acknowledged it in ALL her roles. But empowering her is like empowering Melissa McCarthy..it emboldens fatsos to STAY fat as they can be QUIRKY and Funny..like these high profile role models. I think Mindys funny but her schtick is beginning to get..schticky.
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 3:07pm
We all know, even though many extremists nowadays doggedly try to keep anyone from admitting it, that men & women are different, play different roles in society & have different expectations of one another.

Men grabbing at women's bodies has always been seen as both offensive & possibly even verging on assault because, traditionally, it has almost always been men who actually do assault, rape, harass, or otherwise pester & make advances, whether wanted or unwanted towards women, whereas almost all men would welcome strange, attractive women coming up & touching them.

So yeah, even though it's true that feminist groups would throw a fit if it had been presented vice-versa, it's still based in the reality of our & most other societies.

Ad gets a pass.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

She is a bit of a pudger and has acknowledged it in ALL her roles. But empowering her is like empowering Melissa McCarthy..it emboldens fatsos to STAY fat as they can be QUIRKY and Funny..like these high profile role models. I think Mindys funny but her schtick is beginning to get..schticky.

The snarky, full of attitude Indian chick, anti-stereotype.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

We all know, even though many extremists nowadays doggedly try to keep anyone from admitting it, that men & women are different, play different roles in society & have different expectations of one another.

Men grabbing at women's bodies has always been seen as both offensive & possibly even verging on assault because, traditionally, it has almost always been men who actually do assault, rape, harass, or otherwise pester & make advances, whether wanted or unwanted towards women, whereas almost all men would welcome strange, attractive women coming up & touching them.

So yeah, even though it's true that feminist groups would throw a fit if it had been presented vice-versa, it's still based in the reality of our & most other societies.

Ad gets a pass.

True.  But unfortunately, feminists look around every corner to find sexism...no matter how minor or even nonexistent.  They'll also ignore plenty if it's politically expedient.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yeah, there's a double standard here, but it's not one I get too riled up about.  But then again, I also think it's ridiculous that the feminist groups get riled up when the roles are reversed.  I just don't care if either gender "objectifies" the other a bit.

Oh, it doesn't bother me, I just find it amusing how if the roles were reversed but literally everything else about the commercial was exactly the same, the commercial would suddenly be "misogynistic, sexist, and promoting rape culture".
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 3:40pm

Well, there are cases of female on male rape , they just usually end up not going to trial or with the woman being found not guilty, exactly because of the pervasive view that "almost all men would welcome strange, attractive women coming up & touching them." I'll add that I like hot girls and all, but hot or not I don't want some random chick just coming up and grabbing me either.

Also, based on replies, I gather this girl is actually someone known? People are talking about her schtick and getting tired of it...I thought it was just some random actress, but apparently I was wrong, where do you people know her from?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Well, there are cases of female on male rape , they just usually end up not going to trial or with the woman being found not guilty, exactly because of the pervasive view that "almost all men would welcome strange, attractive women coming up & touching them." I'll add that I like hot girls and all, but hot or not I don't want some random chick just coming up and grabbing me either.

Well sure, there have been cases of female on male rape, but percentage wise, it is virtually nonexistent. And as for my comment about men welcoming female advances, I was of course, generalizing. Most men, if not welcoming being grabbed by a good looking girl, would likely not get upset over it either.

Guys being guys, & knowing that most women are not capable of overpowering or harming us, most of us would react more bemused rather than aghast.

Point being, it's different with women than it is with men.

Quote Also, based on replies, I gather this girl is actually someone known? People are talking about her schtick and getting tired of it...I thought it was just some random actress, but apparently I was wrong, where do you people know her from?

She played a character named Kelly on The Office.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 4:21pm
Quote True. But unfortunately, feminists look around every corner to find sexism...no matter how minor or even nonexistent. They'll also ignore plenty if it's politically expedient.

No argument there, but I was just speaking in terms of why the premise of the ad is considered socially acceptable while the reverse would not be.

C'mon, man!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Also, based on replies, I gather this girl is actually someone known? People are talking about her schtick and getting tired of it...I thought it was just some random actress, but apparently I was wrong, where do you people know her from?

I first saw her in what was her "debut" I'm guessing, which was a brief spot in The 40 Year Old Virgin.   She's also done the show Jimbo referenced, and I think has her "own" show called The Mindy Project.  I've seen neither of those shows, however - only promos for them.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 4:43pm
I have no idea what a Mindy is, but the shot of her walking down the aisle in the store while eating the big tub of icecream cracked me up.  I want to be invisible too! LOL
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 4:46pm
My first exposure to "Mindy" was the old Xfinity commercial for some sort of voice activated search. Her character portrayed narcissism to the extreme. Apparently she has been in 2 TV shows that I have never seen. I don't understand the connection with insurance. Other than a Christmas and Birthday card from my State Farm agent we only have contact for business reasons. I am more than satisfied with that relationship. If a stranger of either gender touched me I would step back and check my wallet.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

I have no idea what a Mindy is, but the shot of her walking down the aisle in the store while eating the big tub of icecream cracked me up.  I want to be invisible too! LOL

It worked out well for "Grandfather" (Chief Dan George) in Little Big Man.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

I first saw her in what was her "debut" I'm guessing, which was a brief spot in The 40 Year Old Virgin.   She's also done the show Jimbo referenced, and I think has her "own" show called The Mindy Project.  I've seen neither of those shows, however - only promos for them.

Well then, guess I'm totally out of the loop on that one. I actually saw some of The Office, but I honestly have no memory of her being there. Then again, I don't remember much else about the show either other than it's consistent inability to amuse me, so maybe that's why.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 1:30pm

I'd heard of this Mindy person, but didn't know who she was.  It's like this for me with a lot of celebs.  I've heard of them, but that's about it.  I don't know who they actually are or what they've done until I have some need to look it up...like for this thread.  Then, there's a good chance I'll forget what I found out within a few days...'cuz it's mostly useless info to me.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 1:37pm
I would imagine it's the same with most people.

I hear the names of a lot of celebrities who I wouldn't recognize if I ran into them face first.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 1:52pm
Never heard of  or seen this lady, but she's a little attractive in a fat kind of way (and I'm not a 'fat fan')
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 2:03pm

I would imagine it's the same with most people.

I hear the names of a lot of celebrities who I wouldn't recognize if I ran into them face first.

It's probably related to age.  If you're in your 20s, you'd be more likely know who Mindy and other young celebs are.  To me, they all just look like young whippersnappers.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 2:32pm
Like that Hugh Jackman guy. Hear his name all over, but wouldn't know him from a knot on a fence post.

BTW, that would be a good Donathan-esque thread topic.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 2:37pm

I know that name!  LOL

To me, every white male movie star under 40 is Jake Gyllenhall...or might as well be.  For some reason, that's just a name that's stuck.  Couldn't tell you what he looks like or what he's been in.

edit:  Just looked up Jackman.  He's exactly one of those people I would've guessed to be Gyllenhall.  LOL

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 3:43pm

Like that Hugh Jackman guy. Hear his name all over, but wouldn't know him from a knot on a fence post.

Jackman I'd know, though that's mainly cause he's Wolverine, he's played that character in like 6 or 7 movies now(and he really does own that role, I doubt any comic fan is gonna say he doesn't fit it perfect).  I'm trying to recall if he's been in anything else that I've actually seen though and nothing is coming to mind but I'm pretty sure there's something. Also Thor, he's 45 or something, so doesn't that put him outside your "every white actor under 40 is Jake Gyllenahaal(or however you spell it) thing?

edit:Now I remember, aside from his playing Wolverine, I saw him in The Prestige, which was good, and Van Helsing, which definitely was not.

Jake Gyllenhaal OTOH...yeah, I wouldn't recognize him.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 4:15pm
I only recognize Jake Gyllaintevengonnatry because I saw him in a great film called October Sky.

Think it was his first film.

C'mon, man!
rcj5366 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcj5366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 4:21pm
She as just as dumb as she looks.......talk about being invisible...don't like it here...take your dumb ass back to India.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic