Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 2:08pm
You can make a cheap welder with car batteries... Google it. I have tried it and it does work. The welder we had on site stopped working. We were in Washington DC at a school so it wasn't practical to call someone at the time to fix ours. He had me grab the truck batteries and jumper cables. I wish I had paid more attention to how he hooked them up. It did work just fine though. You just need to be quick. 
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 2:23pm
There are several videos showing how it's done on YouTube.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 6:40pm
I was pretty good with a little Lincoln buzz box, AC or DC stick welding.

I always had Oxy/Ace tanks for heating, brazing and cutting.
I never learned the wire feed Mig and Tig welding.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 7:54pm
The dog is being crazy, 'give me a Dingo' is the look I get.
Eat your fking food, is what I tell her.
She is a crazy bitch, she get's these cujo moments when she wants to challenge me.
I was just carrying some trash bags to the garage and she is there, "I dare you to cross this threshold."
She is just wanting to play. She bites at my feet, settle down girl, I give her some good rubbage.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 10:58pm

What if your Slurpee headache didn't go away?   That would suck.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 6:51pm

It is cool and refreshing outside.

Only 43° right now.
The wind has been blowing so the cottonwoods leaves are everywhere.
I have to blow off the dog run everyday so I can find the poop.
The Maples are weeks away from dropping anything, that is when the real leaf cleanup begins

I went all of the way around the house today, blowing leaves from the beds to the lawn where I do the chopping.
I drained the irrigation pump, I usually bring it inside but I'm leaving it out there.
Those nasty ice fisherman vandalized the pipe last year, I taped it off.

I picked up some fish yesterday and some tomato soup for the wife.
My last time down there, I asked more than once for extra tarter sauce, they gave me one extra. Cry

"who do I have to f**k around here to get some extra tarter sauce?"

Yesterday, they gave me 4 little containers. Clap
I only use one for dipping 2 pieces of fish. This makes me very happy. Tongue

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 11:30pm
Did our semi-annual change air filter/smoke detector check thing today. About 60 units. Gave out notices a few days ago so tenants know we're coming.
Nonetheless, had a couple that got startled when I let myself in. Hey, I knocked and yelled Office and didn't hear nothing.

Not wanting to stereotype, but every Hispanic we've had here has problems and/or bugs.
Storm door won't close. Front door entry knob about to fall off. Working my way down the hall, smoke detector battery missing and thermostat clinging from it's wires. Bedroom bifold door leaning against a wall.  Click on the kitchen lights before leaving - bugs.

Well that was nice. Wrote it all down for the boss to see and continued on.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Not wanting to stereotype, but every Hispanic we've had here has problems and/or bugs.
Storm door won't close. Front door entry knob about to fall off. Working my way down the hall, smoke detector battery missing and thermostat clinging from it's wires. Bedroom bifold door leaning against a wall.  Click on the kitchen lights before leaving - bugs.

Does that come as a surprise?

MEXICO CITY

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 4:40am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Those nasty ice fisherman  

Get the cheapest watered-down beer you can find and invite them to come play on your new eco-friendly Slip'n Slide...  LOL
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Get the cheapest watered-down beer you can find and invite them to come play on your new eco-friendly Slip'n Slide...  LOL

Brown font. Nice touch! Thumbs Up
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 9:56am
LOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 8:31pm
It's a mixed sports day.
The Packers game doesn't start till 3:25.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 12:51am
Saw some parts of the Packers vs. Chargers game. Packers wore the throwback uniforms. Good grief the COLORS! That yellow is GARISH!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 1:21am
Looked good with the blue, though.

They should've kept the blue all along rather than adopting that dark brown.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 4:50am
Maybe they've been using aka ron's new eco-friendly Slip'n Slide...  LOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 10:28am
^LOL
The ride is called 'The Brown Out'.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:02am
Well, I'm heading to bed now, but the great news is: I did it.

A little finagling, some upgraded hardware, and this 9 year old brick of a laptop is running in a way easily comparable to some of the lower-spec computers I've seen around; including the Lenovo desktops at the college.

Only thing I'm waiting on is the new processor which should beef it up even more - possibly just enough to run a programme like photoshop or lightroom; though I need to figure out the quality of the screen before doing that.

This is the first time I've gotten really down and dirty with a computer that wasn't made for that kind of attention (Desktops sometimes are hard, but they're mostly modular and you know what bits go where).

I still need to fix the keyboard, but it's such an ordeal to take the whole thing apart just to get the keyboard out...

Just about the only other upgrade I might consider for this is the 12 cell battery which made this computer's 4 hour battery life jump up to 7 hours, but since i don't plan on this being my default portable (I'm looking at Fujitsu tablet/Laptop hybrids for that), it's not a priority.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:59am
Another really mild, warm morning. 58°

I had to mow pretty much the whole lawn yesterday, lots of leaves to chop.
I'm going to clean the gutters again today.

I'll probably get the truck ready to haul wood, I made some railings that double the capacity.
I can haul 2 full face cords.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Well, I'm heading to bed now, but the great news is: I did it.

A little finagling, some upgraded hardware, and this 9 year old brick of a laptop is running in a way easily comparable to some of the lower-spec computers I've seen around; including the Lenovo desktops at the college.

Only thing I'm waiting on is the new processor which should beef it up even more - possibly just enough to run a programme like photoshop or lightroom; though I need to figure out the quality of the screen before doing that.

This is the first time I've gotten really down and dirty with a computer that wasn't made for that kind of attention (Desktops sometimes are hard, but they're mostly modular and you know what bits go where).

I still need to fix the keyboard, but it's such an ordeal to take the whole thing apart just to get the keyboard out...

Just about the only other upgrade I might consider for this is the 12 cell battery which made this computer's 4 hour battery life jump up to 7 hours, but since i don't plan on this being my default portable (I'm looking at Fujitsu tablet/Laptop hybrids for that), it's not a priority.

So, what are you going to do with this old computer once you get it all fixed?

Assuming you already have a more up to date machine anyway, and considering that, with the memory and processor upgrades, you'll likely have put about as much money into it as you could sell it for.

C'mon, man!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 5:30pm
I'm actually planning on keeping it for a secondary entertainment system; it has all the connectors to snap it into a big television, so I can use it to play videos from the main computer in another room. I'll also do some minor fiddling.

I did the calculations, and this one cost me $139 to fix up into its current condition, and that included TWO items i only had to buy due to my own error (The CMOS battery and the Hard Drive cady). Taking those out lowers the price pretty nicely. And I went and got a CoA for Windows 7 Professional in this case, which is a bit more money.

I was looking at other models like this - some a bit newer, and they're selling in their original specifications for $20 on average on Ebay. I bet, if I can get some benchmarks and statistics and hands on testing to show this computer is performing to an acceptable modern-day, I could probably fix up some models and sell them locally to college students putting about $80 into juicing up the machine (more if they want a bigger, better Hard Drive, since part of the improving it is switching to Solid State) Plus about $30-$50 extra for the labor (depending on how well off they are, and how much goes into the individual computer)

I'm pretty pleased in it anyway; if it weren't for me needing the ability to handwrite (Typing on a keyboard to take notes in the middle of a small class makes me feel self-conscious all the time, and the ability to use touchscreen makes for more immersive notes, especially with health and tech classes where drawing out the item helps.) I'd probably make this my go-to schoolwork computer.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:34pm
Do you want to see a cool machine?

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:45pm
LOL Love it!

This coming from a guy who bounced a maul off a few chunks of locust without making a dent.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

LOL Love it!

This coming from a guy who bounced a maul off a few chunks of locust without making a dent.
I know what you mean.
There were several times I was allowed to pick trees to cut, not my property, for firewood.
Down in Indiana, Hickory, Ash, Oak, Black Cherry were the easiest to split by hand.
Frequent ice storms were a good source of free wood too.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Mr. T, has me grinning everytime I pick up dog poop. LOL

I'm gonna buy some Rolling Rock beer, maybe make a sign.

"Attention! All icehole fishermen, free beer and a ride on the 'Brown Out' Slip and Slide. Leah, dropped a deuce for you!"

In short, these selfish idiots have...
Run an auger, at 6am on a Sunday morning, with no muffler.
Been reported and cited by police for urinating in public.
They stuffed chewing tobacco in my irrigation line.

I had to remove and clean about 15 heads.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 7:13pm

Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

LOL Love it!

I know what you mean.
There were several times I was allowed to pick trees to cut, not my property, for firewood.
Down in Indiana, Hickory, Ash, Oak, Black Cherry were the easiest to split by hand.
Frequent ice storms were a good source of free wood too.

I blew through a cord of maple in not time flat, went out the next morning to start on the locust and the second I went to pick up the first log, I knew I was in trouble. It weighed about 10 times what the maple weighed. I smacked one log about 6 or 7 times, making a little mark each time... went to a smaller log... then a smaller one, and a smaller one... same results. Not sure if letting it sit another season will help or not. Might just have someone come get it.

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 197>
  Share Topic