Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 3:01am
Got a nice little surprise to start the year off with.

Turns out I am one of the beneficiaries of the settlement of a class action lawsuit that has been going on for some years and which I knew nothing about.

Several years ago, around 2006 or so, possibly earlier, there was a big deal being made about a citrus tree disease in Florida, called citrus canker.

The commercial citrus industry was freaking out over the possibility of having to cut down God only knows how many citrus trees, so the state took aggressive action.

They decreed that if a case of citrus canker was detected anywhere in the state, all citrus trees within a 2,000 ft radius of any infected tree, would have to be destroyed.

At the time, I had in my backyard, three citrus trees. A navel orange tree that produced big, juicy, delicious seedless navel oranges, a healthy pink grapefruit tree that produced big, juicy pink grapefruit, and a young sapling that was either a lemon or a lime tree. I never found out though, because just as it was about to start bearing fruit, I got a notification in the mail telling me that my trees had to come down and failure or refusal to cooperate, would result in legal action.

So a tree company came by one day and cut down my beautiful navel orange tree and the other two.

I got a $100 Walmart gift card as compensation.

Over the years I would occasionally wish I still had my orange tree. The lemon or lime tree might have been nice. The grapefruit tree I wasn't so sorry about. I might have cut that one down myself eventually.

What pissed me off, is that the property owner behind me just ignored them, kept their crappy tree that produced crappy, seedy little juice oranges and never suffered any legal action whatsoever.

Then, the state just dropped the whole thing.

I basically lost my trees for nothing!!! 😑😑😑

So anyhoo... Just after this past New Years, I got a card in the mail telling me about a class action lawsuit that had been filed by a couple or more pissed off homeowners who had lost their trees.....

So I Googled the lawsuit, then went to the website they linked and saw that the payment was like $340+ per tree. I wasn't sure if they had counted the sapling, but I was hoping for payment for all three and that it would be somewhere north of $1,000.

Yesterday the check arrived.

It was for $1,600!!! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ€ πŸ˜›πŸ˜Ž

Plus... the accompanying letter told me there is another $540 available, but I have to fill out and submit an IRS form to claim it because it's taxable.

So I stand to come out of this with a little over $2,000!!!!
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 2:11pm

Nice!   Any plans for it?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 4:15pm
I've been thinking about maybe buying a decent new guitar, but I have four old ones I want to sell some or all of first.

I was going to buy one of those electric scooters with some of my stimulus money but never did.

Still haven't spent the first dime of any of that money.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 5:51pm

My bro will occasionally buy or sell a guitar. I don't know how many he has now. He likes Martin guitars.

But yeah, I always enjoy getting extra money like those stimulus checks, but I end up just leaving it in the bank. There's nothing I really want or need.

I'll be getting SS money pretty soon, but really, it's just gonna sit in my bank or investment account.

I guess I've passed the age of wanting to acquire things.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 6:40pm
Same here.

I need to get rid of things before I acquire new things.

Of course, some things I've had for so long, it's hard to think of parting with them just because of the sentimental value.

One of my guitars I've had since 1976.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 5:47am
Well, off to find a dentist tomorrow. Was just finishing dinner, when I felt stuff crunching in my mouth. Spit out a piece of tooth and a filling. No pain in the tooth, at least, but have to be careful of a sharp part.  Gonna be a big hit on the bank account...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:32am

Ugh. The dentist.

Good luck, Mr.Tim.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Well, off to find a dentist tomorrow. Was just finishing dinner, when I felt stuff crunching in my mouth. Spit out a piece of tooth and a filling. No pain in the tooth, at least, but have to be careful of a sharp part.Β  Gonna be a big hit on the bank account...

What are you going to have done that will be so expensive?

An extraction shouldn't cost that much.

Or are you going to have some kind of repair type procedure?

If you replace it with an implant, that could be costly.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 5:47am
Won't find out options until tomorrow, and I'd kinda like to keep the tooth. (Getting teeth pulled starts a slippery slope, imo.) I could've had it looked at today if I hadn't overslept til almost noon... Ermm
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 7:17pm

Happy birthday to CIH member poop. He turns 106 today. That's some old poop.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 10:44pm
What, no happy birthday wishes for Mr_Zigglesworth?

Or TonyRockaroni?

Etc., et al?

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 6:12am
Today wasn't too bad. Had a root canal on the tooth & a temp crown put in. Can at least eat now without a sharp edge cutting my tongue up. Next to no pain, physically at least, but before it's all done it's going to run me 3k Pinch...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Or TonyRockaroni?

Etc., et al?

No. I hate them.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:49am

Today wasn't too bad. Had a root canal on the tooth & a temp crown put in. Can at least eat now without a sharp edge cutting my tongue up. Next to no pain, physically at least, but before it's all done it's going to run me 3k Pinch...

Back around 2000, after having gone years without seeing a dentist (despite having dental coverage), I finally went.

I ended up accruing $18,000 worth of charges. Bridges, crowns, aqueducts, etc. But get this---at the time, my company offered unlimited 80% coverage. So, for all that work, I ended up paying about $2,000!!!

I think, after that, my company changed to the usual 80% coverage with a $2,500 limit.

Anyway, enjoy your root canal.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Or TonyRockaroni?

Etc., et al?

No. I hate them.

H8rz gonna h8.

C'mon, man!
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 9:10pm
Had an amazing time in St. Thomas. Enjoyed having my toes in the sand and getting out in the water on their beaches, had some great meals and just enjoyed getting out of the cold for a week. Temps were in the 70's and 80's and sunny almost every day.

The vacation took a bad and roller-coaster turn in the last few days regarding the airline that I'll expand on in the What Pisses You Off thread.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 3:53pm

There are no CIH birthdays today.

Happy birthday, no one!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 5:09pm
As expected..... No response.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 9:17pm
There's 3 birthdays listed for today right now, and one from yesterday.
MustangMarj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 12:35am
Happy Birthday Everyone!    πŸ₯Έ
Don’t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 1:40am
Originally posted by radioandnascarfan radioandnascarfan wrote:

When I'm logged off, I see three. But when I log in, nothing.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by radioandnascarfan radioandnascarfan wrote:

When I'm logged off, I see three. But when I log in, nothing.

I'm logged in and I see three.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 6:41am
Dropped $45 today to fill the gas tank (it was only half full, not letting it get below that for the foreseeable future), plus a can of gas for the mower. Price went up 20 cents since yesterday. It's only going to get worse... 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 2:26pm
Got my second check from the citrus canker lawsuit the other day. This one is for $553.00

Makes a total of just over $2,150.00.

I'm thinking about getting a new citrus tree.

Maybe a tangelo tree.

Navel orange trees like the one I had take too long to begin bearing fruit.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 4:41pm

Dropped $45 today to fill the gas tank (it was only half full, not letting it get below that for the foreseeable future), plus a can of gas for the mower. Price went up 20 cents since yesterday. It's only going to get worse...Β 

Someone I know said he saw the gas price at his usual gas station go up twice in the same day---totalling a 40 cent increase.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 197>
  Share Topic