Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:44am
My Grandmother died last night. She was 88. Her health wasn't all that great over the past few months and took a turn last week. I had so many great memories of her. With her loss, I have no more grandparents left. It's sad for us but better for her as she's reuinted with the love of her life and isn't suffering anymore. I will miss her very much.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:45am

Sorry to hear this, randnf.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by radioandnascarfan radioandnascarfan wrote:

My Grandmother died last night. She was 88. Her health wasn't all that great over the past few months and took a turn last week. I had so many great memories of her. With her loss, I have no more grandparents left. It's sad for us but better for her as she's reuinted with the love of her life and isn't suffering anymore. I will miss her very much.

Deepest sympathies and condolences, rnf.

I lost my mom a little over four years ago and my dad in 2004.

It's tough to lose a close family member, but time heals.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Deepest sympathies and condolences, rnf.

I lost my mom a little over four years ago and my dad in 2004.

It's tough to lose a close family member, but time heals.

I know it's difficult especially over the holidays, but we'll always have great memories of her.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 7:33pm
Gave my final goodbye to my Grandma on Saturday. She was a devout Catholic and many Catholic funerals are Masses of Christian Burial. The service was great and there was a luncheon after. I took home a flower to help remember her.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 6:35am
^^You have my condolences.  Always remember the good times you had together.

Well, the pvc sleigh display I built was a neat idea, but in practice it's crappy, and hard to string lights on in any decent way, so I'm building a new display with a bunch of old lights a neighbor gave me.  It's going to be an 18ft tall pole*, with strands of lights from the top & spreading out around the bottom to make a 'tree'.  I'm going to try and set it up at night after I do all the prep work, kinda sneak it in at the last minute. Probably no star for it this year, as it's a test run... 

* Actually 3 pcs of pvc strapped together, the lower end dropped into a larger pvc pipe sleeve in the ground, with a wire ring at the top to attach light cords on fishing line anchored with stakes
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 11:49pm
The pvc tree turned into a horrid mess (won't be repeated next year.) Also, a horrid Christmas day, did some laundry, and the water started backing up, so have to get the septic tank pumped (but will wait 'til Monday, when it will be cheaper.) Not the first time it did it on this particular day...
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 5:54am
Since tonight's topic seems to be poo, an update:
Got the septic tank pumped Monday. Yep, was filled to the top. Cost $285 to get it done. Had to call 3 places. One was an answering machine "on vacation", one said there was a 3 to 4 week waitlist (wtf?), the third had the guy out within a couple hours. Guess which got the business? 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 8:58am
The news just told me that " Girl Scout cookie season is officially upon us".

Does anyone care anymore? It just seems like, for various reasons, it's lost whatever charm it ever had over the past 20 years or so. I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy them online at this point.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 2:14pm
They have some kind of new flavor out this year.

Something that involves salted caramel I think.

I hate salted caramel.

Not a fan of caramel to begin with, but add salt and it's just gross.

I can imagine that somewhere, sometime in the recent past, some company created some product with the Holy Trinity of gross all combined together.... salt, caramel and pumpkin spice.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 3:57pm

I don't get the whole sweet-salty thing. If it's so good, why wasn't it around 10, 20, 50 years ago. It's like pumpkin spice. If it's that good, why isn't it around all year?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 4:21pm
I like sweet paired with savory, or hot, or bitter. But salty doesn't much do it for me.

In some instances I like it, as in salty, dry roasted peanuts mixed with chocolate candy like M&M's, tollhouse morsels, etc.

I also love dry roasted peanuts with baby cut carrots. That is really good.

But the appeal of salted caramel is just a mystery to me.

I think it's got more to do with the fad nature of it.

It becomes a "thing" because we are told it's a "thing" and most people are bandwagon jumpers.

And while we're on the subject...

Walmart has this really good Peach, Pineapple and Chipotle salsa I've become addicted to....

It's sweet and mildly hot at the same time.

I like it on Walmart's generic, store brand version of Pringles, called Stack Attack.

Specifically, the Barbeque flavor.

Put a small spoonful on a BBQ Stack Attack and enjoy!!!! 👍😛👍😛

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:12pm

That sounds pretty good (except for the barbecue flavor), but I just don't eat chips these days. Nor salsa.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:55pm
Chocolate and beer are good together.

Many years ago I had this girlfriend who I'd go out driving around town drinking beer with on boring weeknights when there was nothing else to do.

Sometimes we'd get a big chocolate bar and wash it down with a nice, cold beer.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 11:18am

I saw at the Dollar Tree yesterday that Reeses Cups now comes with peanut butter and potato chips inside.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 3:38pm
Yeah, Reese's is coming out with all kinds of new iterations of their product trying to get more of our money.

They have one with pretzel pieces too, I think.

And some holiday versions as well, I believe.

I bet they've even experimented with pumpkin spice...

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:21am
I was trimming the large camphor tree in the front yard, looked up, and 10 feet up there's a freakin' pineapple plant growing out of some branches.  Never found the top to one the critters got last year, so I figure that's where it came from. If it makes it though the winter, I might even get a pineapple from it... 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 7:59pm
I hope to go to St. Thomas to get out of this cold weather. I along with my parents and 2 friends have to go get a COVID test. If we all test negative, we will be going there. If one of us is positive, we'll have to find some place in Southern Florida to vacation for a week.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:39am
I put PowerAde on my cereal this morning instead of milk. Trying to find out if I'm lactose-intolerant...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 8:33am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

I put PowerAde on my cereal this morning instead of milk. Trying to find out if I'm lactose-intolerant...

Powerade on cereal??!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 3:47pm

I hope to go to St. Thomas to get out of this cold weather. I along with my parents and 2 friends have to go get a COVID test. If we all test negative, we will be going there. If one of us is positive, we'll have to find some place in Southern Florida to vacation for a week.

If you end up coming to South Florida, stay away from the SE coast.

Go to the SW coast instead.

Somewhere around Fort Myers or Naples.

Sanibel Island is nice.

Much safer, quieter and cheaper.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 1:44am
We all tested negative so we're going to St. Thomas. Our flights are currently on time.

I know a few people who vacation in Ft. Myers and Naples.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:31am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Powerade on cereal??!

It was actually watered down Powerade.  Yes, full strength would have been too strong (and orange juice is terrible with cereal... Dead )
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:35am

Powerade on cereal??!

It was actually watered down Powerade.  Yes, full strength would have been too strong (and orange juice is terrible with cereal... Dead )

So...watered down Powerade.

That doesn't help.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 2:36pm

Powerade on cereal??!

How about a nice, non-dairy coffee creamer?

Or better yet, one of the various nut or legume based "milks"?

Soy milk is pretty good. Almond milk is OK though it has a mildly bitter aftertaste. Now they're making oat milk.

All kinds of non-dairy options out there nowadays.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 197>
  Share Topic