Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 137138139140141 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 11:11am
We've been there twice. Once for the Thursday qualifying races and once for the 500.  Both trips turned out badly!  The first time we went, we were walking under the grandstand and Mama twisted her ankle.  Off to Halifax and a nice big bill!

The second time, it was so cold and windy we were miserable.

And I found this old pic too.  Leah was always Mama's girl!

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 4:46pm
I'm excited!  I pulled the trigger on the Culver's Colby Jack Pub Burger.  Like usual, the real burger looks nothing like the picture I posted.  They smush down the patties and cook them fast over high heat.  I may dissect it before I eat and take a pic. Tongue

Colby Jack Pub Burger, Double

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I'm excited!  I pulled the trigger on the Culver's Colby Jack Pub Burger.  Like usual, the real burger looks nothing like the picture I posted.  They smush down the patties and cook them fast over high heat.  I may dissect it before I eat and take a pic. Tongue

Colby Jack Pub Burger, Double

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I know that there are not a lot of NASCAR fans here.  The Busch Clash did not disappoint, sort of!

It's the first competition of the season at the iconic track in Florida. For this 'exhibition' race, it's only about the money. No points are paid for this race.  To be eligible, you must have won a pole position last year.

Won another Clash event, won the pole for the Daytona 500 or the race.

They started with 18 or 19 cars...

6 cars finished the race!

^ Please notice the banner on the left side of the picture, Monster Energy is no longer the Title Sponsor.

It takes a group effort!  That would be a mouth full if the announcers had to spit that out.  More signs of the decline of NASCAR!  Look at the winning car when aerodynamics is so important!

I swear, those NASCAR drivers are getting younger and younger all the time!!!!

If you love NASCAR you should come on down for the race some time.

Get some infield tickets, rent or borrow a van, pack up your sleeping bags, lawn chairs, coolers full of food, drinks and "party supplies", etc, etc.

A pair of good binoculars....

Spend a couple of days camping out in the center area of the track.

Sit on top of the van with a pair of binoculars and watch the race in 360°. 

That is exactly what we did several times at Riverside Raceway in Southern California in the mid 1970s. Friday evening through Sunday evening for $12 per person.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 5:17pm

LOLLOLLOL  That's just sick, man!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

That is exactly what we did several times at Riverside Raceway in Southern California in the mid 1970s. Friday evening through Sunday evening for $12 per person.

My late BIL got an infield pass and rented a U-Haul box truck one year. 

Got a few people together, loaded their camping gear and supplies in the back, and headed on over.

Took a ladder so they could put their lawn chairs up on the back of the box.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:04pm

Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

My late BIL got an infield pass and rented a U-Haul box truck one year. 

Got a few people together, loaded their camping gear and supplies in the back, and headed on over.

Took a ladder so they could put their lawn chairs up on the back of the box.

We also did the U-Haul. Great minds think alike!Wink
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:09pm
I was older and wiser and 'WTH MARRIED' when I went to Daytona!  I remember some wild times in the in-field at Indy.

Bringing Some Decadence and Depravity Back to the Indy 500

If Caroln wonders how I got to be such a horn dog...

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:19pm
t’s brutally hot five miles northwest of downtown Indianapolis and the smells of cheap beer, gasoline, fried foods, failing deodorant, overflowing Porta-Potties, and a little bit of reefer fill the Georgetown Road air. Yes, it’s Memorial Day weekend at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and while the Baby Boomers in the city like to say the Indianapolis 500 isn’t quite what it used to be, the guy in his twenties doing keg stands with his jean shorts around his ankles and wearing a shirt that erroneously reads, “You’ve seen a lot of penises but you haven’t seen mine” refuses to give in to that notion.

https://grantland.com/features/club-trillion-gets-wasted-indy-500/
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 6:08pm
Mama is guilty of being TOO nice!  Not to me, either.  She was calling herself crabby today!  Poor timing.

She has a pretty bad cold or maybe the flu yet we have this dog here that needs stuff.  I told her, I won't be much help.  Not because I don't want to, because I move around the house on crutches. 

I go get her food and anything she needs. Play with the dog, give her food and water. She is resting now and so is the dog. Did I do anything right today! Confused
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 4:56pm
Indiana native Ryan Newman is in serious condition after a frightening  crash on the last lap of the Daytona 500. His hometown is South Bend, he received a BS degree in Engineering from Purdue University. Few details have been released other than his injuries are not life threatening.

The first hit into the wall likely did not hurt him, it was the second hit from another car while he was upside down. The impact was in the drivers door/window area. It appears the 'A' pillar and 'B' pillar were bent allowing the roof part of the roll cage to collapse.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 5:09pm
Yeah and you can bet your ass they've been covering the hell out of that story on the news around here.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 5:25pm
I'd like to know the extent of his injuries!

You are probably tired of hearing about it. Wink
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 5:37pm
We don't know anymore about his condition than you do.

Not something doctors talk about publicly until they know what they know and don't know.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 5:07pm
The latest report says Ryan is awake and alert and speaking with family and doctors.  That kind of rules out a serious brain injury.  Good news!  His wife of 15 years filed for divorce a week ago!  Ouch
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:13pm

In a statement Wednesday, Roush Fenway Racing said Ryan Newman is walking and “continues to show great improvement” following his last-lap crash in Monday’s Daytona 500.

The team also posted a picture of him standing and smiling with his two daughters, Brooklyn Sage and Ashlyn Olivia.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 5:33pm
We just got another pleasant surprise from our former health insurance company Common Ground.

A check for $261 and some change.  I LOVE IT! I guess if you don't make a lot of claims they are required to refund a portion of the premiums.

It's official!  Now, I'm sick with the crud that has bothered my wife for the last week.  Runny nose, fever,  sore throat and a nagging cough.  I told her that I didn't feel up to a trip to the grocery store.  She looked into placing an online order.  It was a PITA plus they want to charge us an extra 10 bucks for our convenience!

Screw them!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 4:59pm
It's a strange day in the neighborhood when there are 3 cop cars just a few doors down from here.

Most of the people back here are older, empty nester's like ourselves. Very strange!

Our house is the third one down on the right.  Confused

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 5:53am
Quote Most of the people back here are older, empty nester's like ourselves. Very strange!

"Cops raid secret swingers club in aka ron's neighborhood!  Film at 11!"

LOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 4:38pm
^ LOL  And we weren't even invited!  We are anxious to see what happened. They publish a police report in the local paper, it comes out on Thursdays.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 5:10pm
Given all that white stuff all over everything, it must've been one hell of an orgy!!!! Shocked

Sick

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 5:32pm
LOL
Now, you're just getting nasty!  That's my job!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:28pm
Been busy this morning.

Had a Dr's appointment to review my lab results from blood drawn 2 weeks ago.

Results were mostly good.

My cholesterol has gone back down to normal from where it was 6 months ago, when I got an abnormally high (above 200) reading. I immediately figured it was because I had been eating peanut butter and I was right. Cut that stuff out and I'm good again. 

Fasting glucose was a little high, but I knew it would be because I have type 2 "diabeetus" (as Wilford Brimley says). It wasn't too bad though. Lower than I anticipated. 

Had a Hemocult test which came back negative, so that's good. 

The only negative (as in bad) result was my A1c. It had gone down to 6.3 about a year ago, which is high, but lower than the previous visit, so it was on its way down. Then 6 months ago, it had gone up to 6.6, which is not the direction I wanted it to go. This time, I was hoping maybe it had gone back down a little bit or at least not increased, but it went up to 6.8.

So now, aside from just BP medication, they're putting me on a diabeetus medication.

So one more pill per day.

Did some grocery shopping on the way home. 

Just got back about an hour ago.

Had a Subway sub for lunch.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 8:35pm
I'm glad I'm not diabetic on top of having heart problems. I'd hate to have to cut out even more things from my diet than I already have.

Like you, though, I cut out peanut butter (and cut back on cheese). That, along with the Crestor I take, my cholesterol went from 293 to 153 within about a year.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm glad I'm not diabetic on top of having heart problems. I'd hate to have to cut out even more things from my diet than I already have.

Like you, though, I cut out peanut butter (and cut back on cheese). That, along with the Crestor I take, my cholesterol went from 293 to 153 within about a year.

153 is good.

Of course, you also have to have the right HDL to LDL ratio, too.

My overall reading today was about 177 or 179.

My HDL level was good, too.

For the diabeetus, they're putting me on Metaformin. 

Supposed to increase my insulin sensitivity or something.

So if I start crying more often than usual, we'll know why.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 137138139140141 197>
  Share Topic