Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Well, the guy from American Leak Detectors called me back.  They want a lot of money to come out here.  I should trust my gut and just tell the plumbers to replace the line where it comes into the house.

I figured that was going to be an expensive proposition. Those guys do not work cheap. For what you'd pay them, you could probably buy your own detector.

That was why I suggested using your wife's stethoscope. Maybe if you tell her how much money they want, she'd let you use it.

Also - have you looked into renting a detector?

Yeah!  I think it would tell me nothing!  The guy said when it comes to pipes buried in concrete, even their technology comes up short.  I can't even imagine paying them $550 to tell me what I figured out 3 weeks ago.  The guy was very nice and I was good at describing the problem so I think he knows my situation.
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:42pm
I would think that if a pipe is solidly encased in concrete, even if the wall of the pipe was cracked or ruptured, the concrete would contain and seal the leak, keeping the water from seeping out anyway.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:01am
Hire a dowser (maybe you can pay him in beer Wink )  Some of them can be pretty accurate...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:58am

I would think that if a pipe is solidly encased in concrete, even if the wall of the pipe was cracked or ruptured, the concrete would contain and seal the leak, keeping the water from seeping out anyway.

It does to a certain point, that's why we still have good pressure and flow at the sinks and so forth.  It's hard to quantify the sound, it sounds like a lot of water!  Remember the picture of the crack?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:33pm
The fill was also poured (pumped in) in 2 layers on different days. I'll bet water could seep between the original crawlspace floor and the first pour.  Not to mention the cracks I've seen.

The damn disposal has locked up, there is a hex head on the bottom that lets you put a wrench in it to try to free it up.  I ended up taking it out so I could let gravity help me get the clog out.  What a nasty mess that was.  I couldn't get it to turn...Gonna have to buy a new one.  I'm also hurting a lot because of the position I had to get in to take that stinky bitch out of there!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:24pm
When it rains, it pours, as they say.   
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 5:14pm
I've been too active today, I pay the price in pain when I try to walk.  There is just a lot of things that need to be done around here.  I moved the snowblower to an out of the way place. Swept the garage floor. Pushed the tractor to a spot in front of the overhead door.  Took the tarp off of the boat...I was sitting on this little chair I have out there and I called Mama.  Could you come out here and help me fold the tarp?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 4:08pm
I bolted this piece of plywood to the back of the tractor. I have a broom stick with a hook on the end of it that I will use to pick up sticks in the yard. I'll break them up by hand and put them in the bucket.

I just might go out there and see how it works!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:21pm
Well, the broom stick didn't work very well.  The bucket did! I've been good today!

Went to the grocery store and made a batch of Chili. I used a different kind of tomato sauce this time, seasoned just for Chili.  Whew!  Smells really spicy!

The Maple tree in the former dog run is wrecking my fence, I trimmed about an inch and a half off of this board. They were originally stapled together, I had some finish nails to add some strength.

Image result for tree grows into bicycle pics
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:47pm

Well, the broom stick didn't work very well.  The bucket did!

Ten bucks at Harbor Freight...

They have cheaper model for $2 that's pretty good, too.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 6:00pm
Let's not get grabby there Hoss. Wink

I had one of those things when I was delivering newspapers.  Worked great for the daily paper, the Sunday paper was too much for it to handle.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:37pm
I got a few more things done today, it really sucks not being able to do so many simple things!

I washed the sheets on our bed!  Well, I took them off of the bed first! Tongue

Did the dishes and the most physical thing was...I had to get a length of hose from the back of the house.

I had some weed killer, the kind you hook to a garden hose, left over from last year.  The dandelions aren't too bad.  Not like some yards I see around here. I sprayed the front yard, it smelled like there was still some nasty chemical in there!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:02pm
I would have just hosed the bed down...I'm lazy like that.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:06pm

Image result for tree grows into bicycle pics
I'd rather find a bike in a tree rather than the alternative... 

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 5:01pm
Does anyone else take care of an elderly relative? If so, you are painfully aware that 'The Price Is Right' with Drew Carey is a required piece of daily TV. You know how the show works and that each contestant that makes it to the stage gets to spin the wheel while saying "Hello!" to family and friends. Now, I was working on getting a meal ready while my aged mother with her brand spanking new hearing aids was watching her favorite show with the TV volume up to 'window-shattering', when one very excited contestant was saying hello to everyone - including her Parole Officer....

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 5:26pm
I've lost touch with game shows.  Back when we had cable, I would watch the $100,000 Pyramid and some of the old Match Game shows.  I was obsessed with Fannie Flag!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 5:36pm
My mom had to watch America's Funniest Videos every Sunday evening.

Other than that, she pretty much just watched the news.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 5:48pm
My Mom never misses the news, but only will watch one channel. Other than that, she gets really upset if she isn't up in time for 'The Price Is Right', then has to watch 'Blue Bloods' marathons (because of Tom Selleck, who, if he was only older, could have been my father, I suppose), 'American Pickers', 'Curse of Oak Island', aaaand....'American Gladiator' (I don't know why, but I sure didn't care for it when she told me she would be happy if *I* participated in itCry)...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:44pm
How can it be that "having no pride" is the same as "having no shame", considering that pride and shame seem to be opposites?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:46pm
Some random Farina trivia:

Farina from the early "Our Gang" comedies played both a boy and a girl, sometimes within the same episode.

Also, in the show, he had a little sister named Pleurisy.  ShockedLOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

How can it be that "having no pride" is the same as "having no shame", considering that pride and shame seem to be opposites?

Ask Trump or any of his staunch supporters.

They should know all about the having of neither.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 2:58pm

Farina from the early "Our Gang" comedies played both a boy and a girl, sometimes within the same episode.

Also, in the show, he had a little sister named PleurisyShockedLOL

Rumor was that she had a nice pleurisy.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 4:04pm

Ask Trump or any of his staunch supporters.

They should know all about the having of neither.

That's where your mind automatically went to??!  You're really obsessed.  Seek help.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 6:20pm

That's where your mind automatically went to??!  You're really obsessed.  Seek help.  LOL

Where does one's mind automatically go to when one hears the phrase "one plus one equals..."?

It automatically goes to "two".

Same with "no pride plus no shame equals..."

The mind automatically goes to TRUMP.

It's automatic.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 6:39pm

Also, in the show, he had a little sister named PleurisyShockedLOL

Rumor was that she had a nice pleurisy.
LOL
That's where my mind went!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 197>
  Share Topic