Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 108109110111112 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 7:53pm
^  I'm always coming home from work with lumps and bumps and bruises and scratches.  I don't even remember exactly what I was doing to get the injury.  It usually has something to do with a pallet.

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 4:42am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  I'm always coming home from work with lumps and bumps and bruises and scratches.  I don't even remember exactly what I was doing to get the injury.  It usually has something to do with a pallet.

It is nice you can still get lumps and bumps that way. Since my back injury and the onset of a few different degenerative disorders, I've been told not to pick up anything heavier than about 20 pounds. Good thing I've only one grandchild -  if I had more and the kids brought 'em by, I'd probably only get to see them once or twice after dropping them the first time...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 5:42pm
More excitement here at the aka ranch.  Out of the blue on Saturday afternoon some guy is at my door.

I have not run an ad, no 'for sale' sign.  He wants to buy my fishing boat.  GREAT!  It's not exactly in running order.  It's a 14' Mirrowcraft aluminum boat with a 15 HP Mercury 4 Stroke engine.

If you let an engine sit for several years without some sort of fuel treatment the gas in the carb turns to a varnish like substance. I looked at some ads for a boat similar to this with a trailer. Anywhere from 1500 to 2500 bucks.  I was asking for quite a bit less than that considering the problem with the engine.

The guy 'Don' is a smart buyer, he noticed some rot on the transom.  FFS!  I'm thinking. He gave me a hundred bucks, took the boat (we removed the engine) so he could get an estimate on how much it would be to fix it.

I wish I would have offered to fix it myself, those marine mechanics get like a gazillion bucks an hour.  If he has to put $1000 into this, he's still getting a good deal!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:09pm
So you sold the boat for $100 bucks?
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:23pm
No, our deal is 500 bucks.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 4:57am
Quote He gave me a hundred bucks, took the boat (...)

And, BAM, next thing you know you'll be visited by unsmiling people from the FBI & HS because they recovered your boat after it had been used to smuggle strange Censored from Canada...  LOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 5:13pm
^ LOL
I was getting a little worried because the guy did not get back to me. I called him on Wednesday, spoke to his wife.  I told her to tell him that I thought I could fix it (boat transom) myself.  He didn't call me back!  I was getting a little worried and pissed so I was a little harsh with his wife yesterday afternoon.  Embarrassed

He showed up here today ready to settle the score, he didn't really want to take the engine. I said I have no use for it around here. I took $50 less than the agreed price just because I'm a dick.

Mama made 50 bucks at the Farmers Market, she also paid 50 bucks for the booth space for the next 10 weeks.  The city has to get their share!  Bastards!  Angry

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 5:31pm
Better to have settled for $50 less than the agreed upon price than to have had to go to his house with the cops.

Or hunt him down with a loaded gun.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 5:13pm
I've been busy today. I took all of the yard waste to the dump, Mama went into City Hall and signed out a gate key for me.  I mowed the lawn. The seed pods from the Cottonwoods make breathing a real challenge. I did the dishes, ran the vacuum in the back part of the house. Cleaned the toilet and floor in the guest's bathroom.

I brought in a third window fan from the garage, we could hit 80 today.  The gas and electric bill was down to $120, that's really good!  We had a hot spell that lasted over a week.  I have to set my sights on getting the boat in the water.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:14pm
I'm letting the wife control the Critter Cam, she has a little Tripod.

The domestic Grand Mama in her natural habitat.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:02am
I need sleep!

Haven't been sleeping well lately.  Been averaging maybe 3 hours per night.  Some nights, I get zero sleep.  At best, I get 6 hours.  Been taking Melatonin, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  Oddly, I don't feel that bad.

Oh well, maybe with the weekend off, I'll be able to catch up---maybe get back on track.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 5:05am
You need vitamin D, by sun, milk, or pill.  Definitely stay away from Ambien & it's relatives...

Had a growing collection of plastic grocery bags under the kitchen table.  After sorting, there were about 100, way more than I thought.  Boxed up most of'em for later use.  Never know when the greenies will ban them... Wink
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:48am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

You need vitamin D, by sun, milk, or pill.  Definitely stay away from Ambien & it's relatives...

I was thinking that might be the case, too!!  My Circadian rhythm might be all messed up.  These days, due to the weather here or my work schedule, I don't get much sun.  I'll have to pick some vitamins up.

I definitely don't want Ambien.  We see what Roseanne did, and a woman I work with told me she woke up one night while on Ambien, and made an entire meal in the middle of the night and had no idea she did so until the next day. 

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:57am
IF you MUST have Ambien (or equivalents) in the house, have somebody else hide the pills & only give them out when needed.  My mom was on the stuff and one night took 3 extra pills.  That would have been an OD in a normal case, but she'd been taking them for a long time & so built up so much tolerance they weren't very effective anymore.  I hid them the next day & the withdrawal effects (for the both of us) were hell.  I think a vitamin D deficiency was the main reason she couldn't get any sleep (melatonin didn't do crap.)  Found out that info way too late...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 5:50am
Take a couple of Extra Strength Tylenol PM's.

That sh*t'll knock you out.

C'mon, man!
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 6:55am
I take 100mg to 150mg of Trazodone as prescribed to me by my doctor for sleep.

My issue isn't staying asleep, it's sleep latency -- it takes me a couple of hours or more to FALL asleep regardless of how wiped out I am at bedtime.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 10:08am
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 5:32am
Damn critters got six of my nearly ripe tomatoes last night.  Angry  They didn't really eat them, just chewed them up to 'taste' them.  Angry  I picked the last 2 they didn't get...  Angry
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 3:56pm

I need sleep!

Haven't been sleeping well lately.  Been averaging maybe 3 hours per night.  Some nights, I get zero sleep.  At best, I get 6 hours.  Been taking Melatonin, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  Oddly, I don't feel that bad.

Oh well, maybe with the weekend off, I'll be able to catch up---maybe get back on track.

What do you concentrate on before you try go to sleep? Issues at home or work? Are you 'worrisome' by nature?
I have exactly the opposite problem these days...since the missus has been gone, I really don't care about as much of anything anymore and now we're a few years down the road - almost five...and it is just getting worse as the days go by. Especially since I also perform 'Elder Care Duties' on the side, watching others die every day. Makes me wonder what's on the 'other side' and I know how old I am and what my state of health is. I can fall asleep and not wake up for 20 hours, wake up, get something to eat, and do it again. And I'm still working full-time in my chosen profession. I actually have 'My Pillow' on my extra-long couch out here on the Estate In The Swamp (I hate it here). Once my parents 'Exit Stage Left', I'm heading back to 'The Den' till 'The End'...especially since my last trip when I got to sit and 'talk to the rock' for a long time. Maybe I'm a little depressed, I dunno...but I do know I want a gun so I can shoot at things that lurk around in the dark, here in The Swamp. I know if I get that, it will help ensure when I start to lay down, sometimes my head doesn't even hit 'My Pillow' before I am asleep.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 6:49pm
Sleep can be an elusive thing, the wife can fall asleep anytime, anywhere.  I so envy her.

I should sleep good tonight.  I did a boat ramp test on the boat.  We'll take it out for a real test tomorrow.

It's been such a PITA the past few years, I think I may have fixed it.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I need sleep!

What do you concentrate on before you try go to sleep? Issues at home or work? Are you 'worrisome' by nature?

I think a lot about work.  It's pretty stressful (we had "inventory" this week, and that's hellish).  I also think a lot about some of the things you mentioned.

But last night, I fell asleep on the couch around 6, woke up for an hour or so at 8, and then slept through till 4am.  Got up for an hour and then went back to bed for a few more hours.  All told, I must've gotten 10 hours of sleep!! 

I'm about ready for a nap right now, I think.  Thumbs Up

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 4:57pm
My slow leak, in my right front tire, has turned into a fast leak. I just looked at it while I was covering the boat, "that tire looks low".  It was down to 15 PSI.  I'll have to jack up that corner and make up a solution of dish soap and water in an old spray bottle. The tires are old, if the sidewall is leaking I'm screwed.

If I find a nail or something, I'll have to see if I still have some tire plugs.  It can be a pain to push a probe and a plugger through steel belts.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 5:14pm
One of the Maple trees has some exposed roots that are above the surface of the lawn, I've mowed over them for years with no problem until yesterday.  The roots are getting bigger, the mower deck is hanging a little lower...BAM!!  It bent the crap out of one of the blades.  The worst part?  A new set of blades is over $50!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 1:45pm
I'm very pleased to announce that the boat is in the water!  Nice smooth idle, good takeoff power, clean smelling exhaust. I had to wake up Mama so she could hear the phone if I had trouble.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I'm very pleased to announce that the boat is in the water!  Nice smooth idle, good takeoff power, clean smelling exhaust.

But can it pop a wheelie?

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 108109110111112 197>
  Share Topic