Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 12:01am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Debit card? Dude, you seriously need to rethink that.  Someone can steal your money out of your account by hacking it with some electronic device.  People are doing it all over, at gas stations, etc. when someone has their card out.  Once the money is gone from a debit card, it's gone.  Debit cards are almost cash equivalent in that the money is immediately deducted from your account and that's it.  Why don't you have a credit card?  I thought we'd been over this before somewhere here.  Confused

You're wasting your time.

Thor is very headstrong and set in his ways.

I've tried to tell him that too, but to no avail.

I was a tad reticent to start using my credit card and just paying it every month, but soon after I started, I realized how much better it is. I'd never go back to a debit card. Haven't used mine in a good five years at least.

One of the most unsafe ways to spend money.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:08am
I make money from my credit cards.  Rewards points, which I then have converted to cash and applied as credits on my statements.  I never pay interest, always pay the total amount due.  I keep an eye on which cards are running extra cash back percentages for what categories and rotate using them.  Currently I'm getting 5% cash back on my grocery store purchases.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:30am
Same here, but I only use one card.

I've got about $40 - $50 in rewards cash I can spend, but I haven't yet.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:57am
I've got three credit cards (one, I've had for 20 years and has a very low interest rate), but I like the convenience of a debit card, and not having to pay anything on it at the end of the month.  Besides, I don't keep too much in there.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:54am

The tree rats have pretty much cleaned out the mac tree already.  The mild winter shortened "harvest time" by about 3 months.  If I hadn't been busy with other yard work, I would have gone to War this year.  Next year will be Trappin' Time...  LOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:11pm
I love the chatter about making money off of credit cards.
I have a business credit card - that's it.
I make more money with my time doing the 'professional thing' - yea, I'm a real whore.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:17pm
I don't like to use the credit cards, I like to keep a low balance.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:59am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

"R.I.P. Leah   9-15-2004 to 5-22-2017"

Sorry to hear this, aka.  Cry

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:06pm
Thanks, Thor. Non pet people don't understand how attached we get to our animals.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:31pm
We got an unexpected card from the Vet's office that took care of lEAH THROUGH HER LIFE AND THE END OF IT. f**kin cap lock.  We also received a nice letter today from the University of Wisconsin in Madison.

Dear aka ron's family:
"I am writing to inform you that the **** Animal Hospital has made a gift to the University Of Wisconsin School Of Veterinary Medicine's Companion Animal Fund in memory of Leah." 

I had to put my big boy homeowner pants on today. I trimmed some shrubs and bushes around the house and cleaned up the mess.  I feel so old.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:36pm

I had to put my big boy homeowner pants on today. I trimmed some shrubs and bushes around the house and cleaned up the mess.  I feel so old.

I know the feeling all too well.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:39pm
Where's AngMcP? He hasn't been around in a few weeks...last I heard he was a little more ill....
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 12:47pm
I just talked to the wife about the need to start thinking and doing things in order to sell this house.

I just found the original listing that I printed out way back in 2006. Many days of some hard cleaning and organization ahead before we can even let anyone come inside. I don't want to use a realtor, that's 6-8% off the top that we don't want to give up.  I will hire an attorney if and when we have a closing date just to keep everything legal.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 12:51pm
Is that "For Sale By Owner" company still around?

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 6:20pm
^ I have gone to their site for some ideas, stuff I pretty much already know.
I do think they can help with marketing, not quite ready to envolve anyone else or go public just yet.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 6:28pm

I just talked to the wife about the need to start thinking and doing things in order to sell this house.

I just found the original listing that I printed out way back in 2006. Many days of some hard cleaning and organization ahead before we can even let anyone come inside.

Lotsa work.  But I did it all myself, and my house sold in 8 days.  Ultimately, I sold to a couple well into their 70s who were buying the house through the VA.  That meant extra work, as the VA requires a higher level of standards.  For instance, the door between the house and the garage didn't meet their standards, as a pet opening was cut into it (something which wasn't an issue for me when I bought the house in '02), so I had to replace it.  That stuff cost maybe an extra $2,500, but they bid an additional $5,000 above my asking price, so no big deal.

The biggest chore was washing the walls and ceiling to get rid of smoking stains/smell.  I did that in 3 rooms, the only ones where I'd smoked.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I just found the original listing that I printed out way back in 2006. Many days of some hard cleaning and organization ahead before we can even let anyone come inside.

Lotsa work.  But I did it all myself, and my house sold in 8 days.  Ultimately, I sold to a couple well into their 70s who were buying the house through the VA.  That meant extra work, as the VA requires a higher level of standards.  For instance, the door between the house and the garage didn't meet their standards, as a pet opening was cut into it (something which wasn't an issue for me when I bought the house in '02), so I had to replace it.  That stuff cost maybe an extra $2,500, but they bid an additional $5,000 above my asking price, so no big deal.

The biggest chore was washing the walls and ceiling to get rid of smoking stains/smell.  I did that in 3 rooms, the only ones where I'd smoked.

No doubt! I moved all of this stuff...well, not all of it.
The living room and bedroom furniture was delivered new.

I don't think I can move all of this stuff by myself! We can handle cleaning the house.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:52am

My 6'3", 38y/o buddy Charlie helped me move a few pieces, but I did most of it myself.  Some heavy stuff, too...and down a flight of stairs.

Sliders help with furniture.  Get a set of these:

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 5:59pm
^^^Those are GREAT. I've used them for years - unbelievable how easy it is to move stuff around when using them.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:17pm
I can't dead lift what I could 10 years ago, if I can get it up high enough to balance the weight, this basic truck works pretty well.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:23pm
The sliders aren't for lifting - they will get you to that cart (I use one also) no matter the floor type
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:47pm
And then there's the positioning of furniture once you get into your new place.  They really help a lot.  Plus, you won't damage floors or carpet.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 6:59pm
oh yea - once you put those sliders on, never remove them! Just buy more - they're cheap.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:01pm
...unless you live in an area prone to earthquakes, where that furniture can slide around the room, chasing you and eventually crushing you as you struggle to maintain balance.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

...unless you live in an area prone to earthquakes, where that furniture can slide around the room, chasing you and eventually crushing you as you struggle to maintain balance.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293 197>
  Share Topic