Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Zone - Random thoughts and ramblings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 197>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 9:35pm
Thousands of people from all over the world are here for some kind of bike race. If you live or work anywhere near the west end, good luck getting there and/or parking.
Sponsored Links

i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 5:12am
Did any of you watch the eclipse? It was beautiful here. It had a total 3d effect. Of course it got interrupted by a drunk dude taking a digger in the middle of the parking lot. I went to help him up and couldn't understand him at all. Not just because he was drunk, but because he didn't speak english, only some African language. Not trying to say that rudely or racist, but that's what it was, I just don't know from whereabouts. Anyways, he had a bottle of vodka in one hand, cigarettes, phone, keys and hat in the other. He had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and continued smoking it after the fall. I tried to give him a hand up, but he just shook his head no and continued smoking. When his cigarette was done, he almost spit it into his hood. I tried to just get him to put his phone and stuff into his hat so he could take it all in one hand, but he just kept babbling and refused. I think he thought that I was going to steal his phone or booze. A couple cars drove by slowly and all IIcould think of was "sh*t, they probably think I'm trying to rob him". One car came back by and stopped. It was one of his friends. He asked what was going on and I told him. I'm glad he spoke english, broken, but good enough. He called the guys brother to come get him. His brother came out and brought his things inside and came out to get him. Meanwhile, there was an older lady who came out to yell at the drunk one. An aunt maybe? While the brother was trying to get the drunk one up, drunk dude took a swing at him. Then he came towards me babbling about his drink. Older lady slapped him and they all laughed. Weird. The brother finally got him inside. Then the friend started telling me that this guy is always like that. And then he asked me if he broke his phone again in the fall. He said that the dude gets a new one almost every week. I wonder how that works? Anyways, sorry for the weird rant. But back to the original inquiry. Did any of you watch the supermoon eclipse? 
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 5:57am
I saw an ad for this today and still can't find the video. I'm sure that most of you know that BK has offered some strange things to other countries. This is one of the strangest ones offered here.

Mmm. Yum... 

Could be a great way to mess with the significant other though....

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 1:26pm
I went outside, looked up and saw the mass of grey clouds that completely covered the entire sky, then went back inside.

Guess I'll try it again 18 years from now.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by i8acannibal i8acannibal wrote:

I saw an ad for this today and still can't find the video. I'm sure that most of you know that BK has offered some strange things to other countries. This is one of the strangest ones offered here.

Mmm. Yum... 

That's pretty cool, but what they should've done, was colored the bun orange with a black jack-o-lantern face on it.

Or maybe something like this...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 6:04pm
LOL 

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by i8acannibal i8acannibal wrote:

Mmm. Yum... 

Sorry I8, I didn't see this.

I should be embracing these great temperatures outside.
 78.1° in the kitchen, at just after noon o'clock central.
Fans are on full, there is a front on the way.
I see storms a couple hundred miles away in the northwestern part of the state.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 5:54am
Announcing Looncup. Instead of a tampon or a pad, now there might be a cup for that time of the month. Gross. Guess it will give new meaning to having a cup of tampon tea.

SickDead

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 5:34am

Scored a portable radio/cassette player and a bag of headphones at a rummage sale today for .50c each.  Just needed to clean it up & put 2 new batteries in it.  Works great!  Would have loved to find a mini-recorder, but alas, it was not to be... 

Also got a CD of "80 Atari Games" for the pc.  Man, most of those suck!  LOL  I'm glad my parents didn't get me an Atari back in the 80's (I think I told them not to, after having played the neighbor kid's machine.  Wasn't impressed with it then either...) 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 11:53am

I wonder if it comes in A cups, B cups, DDD cups, etc...depending how heavy the flow.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 8:25pm
Mama brought home a breakfast from Taco Johns yesterday.
I had already had something to eat and that's a good thing.
I made stroganoff with some crescent rolls for supper.
She had the screaming sh*ts early this morning.
I was fine so it must have been the Taco John's.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 1:00am
Well, a nightmare turned into an awesome positive.

Had an old laptop computer cluttering the closet. Not a bad machine by any standards, but it was released in 2006, so by this point it's at 9 years old.

First it wouldn't charge at all, but this was a case of "Magical computer randomness" when I left it plugged in for 10 minutes and then it actually started charging (perhaps the battery was just so heavily drained it took 10 minutes for it to get enough energy to say it was charging?)

Then, the screen wouldn't turn on; I assumed an LCD problem, but got a little niggle in my head about the CMOS battery. This is a gateway computer, so the CMOS battery is proprietary due to it being soldered to wires that plug into an adaptor. This meant I had to buy that part. Found it on ebay for $6 and took the bait.

Cue several days later, I installed the CMOS battery, realized why I couldn't re-install the keyboard, fixed that (Need to refix it, 'cause there's a lump where the underside of the keyboard got bent, but that's just cosmetic).

And...success! THe screen turned on, the computer booted, I installed Vista (It ran XP, but I had a spare COA for Windows vista so I installed that instead), and it's running excellently.

I managed to find RAM sticks to upgrade its measly 512MB to 4GB.

And, perhaps even better, I found out that the CPU isn't soldered on! Almost all other laptops I've looked at have been soldered, but the CPU comes out with one little screw.

Looked up the slot number and other processors made for it, and found out I can upgrade the 2.00GHz 2MB processor to a 2.6GHz 4MB processor

All in all, this free laptop went from being an irritant to a very lovely item. Happy I gave it a second chance.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 3:55pm
I decided to mow/chop leaves this morning.
I knew the right front wheel was flopping around last time I used it so I tightened that up before I got started.
I had to repair that same corner of the deck 3 or 4 years ago.
Where the adjustment bracket connects to the deck was rusting out.
I drilled some holes into a solid part of the steel and added a bolt with some spacers.
It held up well until today, I made through 3/4 of the yard and I must have bumped that corner on something and it's just hanging by a thread now.
I'll clean it up next week and see if there is anything there that might let me drill it again.
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:38pm
My random thought of the day:

"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

My random thought of the day:

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 6:25pm
I finished up the work on the boat this morning.
I've been doing this for 8 years, I don't even need to look at the manual.
I left out an important step, the engine has 4 drain plugs, 2 on the exhaust manifolds and 2 down low on the engine block.
Then, there is 3 hoses that need to be drained on the front of the engine.
I don't remember this ever happening.
As the engine was draining, I hear the bilge pump start.
There is a switch on the dash but it also has a float which makes it automatic.
No big deal but the boat was peeing on the door of a nice oak utility cabinet.
I should have, and usually do, pulled the plug for the hull before I drain the engine.

I don't think I can fix the push mower, this mower was a couple hundred bucks new.
That's okay, the tractor will do even though it doesn't chop the leaves as well.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I don't think I can fix the push mower, this mower was a couple hundred bucks new.
That's okay, the tractor will do even though it doesn't chop the leaves as well.

Don't you know anyone who can weld?

Maybe if you cut the corroded part out, then cut and fabricated a piece of sheet metal to fit, you could take it to a small welding shop and for not too much money, have your new piece welded on.

C'mon, man!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 6:53pm
^Better yet, find out if any local technical, community, or full-on colleges offer classes on the subject.

They'll welcome the work, and often do it for free. We have welding classes over here and I know lots of people who bring in stuff just to get free work done on it.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 7:04pm
If I can find a 4 inch, square piece of steel about 1/16 of an inch thick, I could use that as a backing plate.
Then I could drill holes to my hearts content.
The original weld is what failed, I'm surprised my fix lasted as long as it did.
The broken area is so eaten away from rust, I doubt anyone could get a good weld.
With a backing plate, I can grab onto some viable metal.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 7:10pm
We'll need for you to post a pic of it if we're going to decide the best way for you to fix it.

I'll be in charge of forming a committee...

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 7:20pm
I've been out of the business long enough to have lost some resources.
I don't like paying anyone to do work I can still do.
And yeah, I have to get the camera working, the leaves are changing.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:28pm
I should probably thank Jimbo for the 'don't give up' attitude.
I had a short piece of 1 X 4 cedar, the actual 3 1/2" size was perfect.
I traced the contour of the deck onto the piece of wood.
I just get my trusty jigsaw out, dammit!

Leah went through a phase as a puppy, we kept her in the garage, she chewed the power cords off of 4 or 5 hand tools.  The jigsaw was a victim.

So I rough cut the curve with my circular saw.
It's a pretty good fit, I clamp it into place.
Oh sh*t, I have to hollow out an area where the nut was welded to the deck, so it rest flush on what's left of the deck.
I had a 1 1/4 inch wood bit. Thankfully, I had a good steel bit just above 1/4 inch, the main axle bracket is pretty thick.
The convenience store uptown has a limited hardware section, I have a pretty good supply at home but I didn't have anything 2 1/2 inches long. 
It cost about $1.80, feels very sturdy and should get me through the season of leaf chopping.
Not only does the pushmower do a better job, it's good for me to walk the lawn.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:43pm
Good choice with the cedar. It's rot resistant and the bugs don't like it. 

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 1:12pm
During the off mowing season, you can take it to a small welding shop, or look on your local Craigslist for someone who does small welding jobs cheap and have a new piece of metal welded in.

Get another 10 years out of it.

Just make sure to drain all the gas and oil out of it first...

C'mon, man!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 1:22pm
Could try and find someone getting rid of a mower cheap because of a blown engine, and swap all your parts onto a good deck.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 197>
  Share Topic