Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trendy abbreviation of serious diseases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trendy abbreviation of serious diseases
    Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 11:35pm
ENOUGH! Enough with the trendy abbreviations of diseases! I watched a muted commercial for Hepatitis C and they've created a website called HepC.com. FFS! This is a DISEASE not the latest Twitter handle! Argh!!! It boggles the mind why this is so popular! We've got Low T and HepC what's next? Alz for Alzheimer's Canc for Cancer? When will it stop?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

purple rose View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 12:02am
^ and just as I was reading your post, an A-Fib commercial came on!
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 1:03am
Kind of reminds me of this. "Don't call it depression..."
It looked a little bi-polar to me, but no...you're all wrong! It's PBA (PseudoBulbar Affect)
*The recent commercials have some doctor with a heavy Indian accent, most likely an actor yapping about this somewhat new "condition."

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 1:31am

"PBA" only makes me think of the Policemen's Benevolent Association.  Does that even exist anymore?

peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 1:46am
Everything has to be abbreviated these days!  Angry

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 1:58am

What I can't stand is when people use abbreviations that aren't very common.  It even happens here.  Then, I have to guess what it means or look it up or just move on to the next comment.  Lately, I just move on.  If someone can't be bothered typing it out, I can't be bothered reading it.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 2:09am
IMHO in my humble opinion
IIRC if I remember correctly
AFAIC as far as I'm concerned
IDK I Don't know
AFAIC As far as I'm concerned
IICR If I can recall
TBH To be honest

I think that covers it.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 2:22am

I've gotten to know those.

But if I used "TWD" around people who don't watch The Walking Dead, and didn't explain what it stood for, it'd be kinda presumptuous of me to expect them to know what it was.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 2:38am
Okay I'll cut it out with the abbreviations.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 3:03am
Usually if I abbreviate something specific like a show or such, I try to say the full name once or twice before.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 3:33am
Personally, IDGAF.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

ENOUGH! Enough with the trendy abbreviations of diseases! I watched a muted commercial for Hepatitis C and they've created a website called HepC.com. FFS! This is a DISEASE not the latest Twitter handle! Argh!!! It boggles the mind why this is so popular! We've got Low T and HepC what's next? Alz for Alzheimer's Canc for Cancer? When will it stop?

And don't forget the most popular one of all..... ED.

Makes me feel sorry for guys named Ed.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
BadAd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 3:55am
Thank God somebody finally called this one out! It's been driving me nuts, all the cutesy little abbreviated nicknames on pharma spots in the last couple of years, getting worse by the minute (G-WorMin). I'm still annoyed with fiction writers who have normal characters in their stories -- not nurses or hypochondriacs -- taking "meds" instead of pills. Who talks like that? Answer: chronically ill fiction writers writing about what they know.
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

"PBA" only makes me think of the Policemen's Benevolent Association.  Does that even exist anymore?

It made me think of the Professional Bowlers Association. I used to watch that on ABC every Saturday with my dad back in the early, mid 80s.

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 1:16pm

I've gotten to know those.

But if I used "TWD" around people who don't watch The Walking Dead, and didn't explain what it stood for, it'd be kinda presumptuous of me to expect them to know what it was.

I used TWD with someone the other day, and they were like, "The weather...  ummm...".  They thought that I was going for TWC for The Weather Channel.  No, MOST DEFINITELY NOT THAT.  It would be kind of funny to see a TWD/TWC crossover episode where TWC gets eaten by zombies, though.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 2:08pm

^  The Weather Channel is useless these days.  It'd be like a zombie kill.  So, no great loss.  Besides, the Weather Channel's headquartered in Atlanta, and Atlanta went "walker" a long time ago.  LOL

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 4:25pm

^  The Weather Channel is useless these days.  It'd be like a zombie kill.  So, no great loss.  Besides, the Weather Channel's headquartered in Atlanta, and Atlanta went "walker" a long time ago.  LOL

Couldn't agree more.  Useless is actually generous.  And I'm laughing, imagining a zombie Jim Cantore.
Kim S View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 12:40am
I thought I was a crotchety old bat in feeling hatred for all the abbreviations these day.  EVERYTHING has to be shortened.  I just love this forum, I'm not alone I guess.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Kim S Kim S wrote:

I thought I was a crotchety old bat in feeling hatred for all the abbreviations these day.  EVERYTHING has to be shortened.  I just love this forum, I'm not alone I guess.

We're all a bunch of crotchety old bats around here.

Guess that's why we get along so well.

Misery loves company & all.

C'mon, man!
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 12:40pm
All these abbreviations give me IBS.
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Banderboy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:42pm
IHNUTABJWTSIAWWBAP
Feel free to use this shortcut which I invented, and fully expect to reach memetic proportions: 

(I have nothing useful to add, but just wanted to say I agree with what's been already posted.)

Every day my mind grows keener- my good arm stronger--- my silly enemies more futile---
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Banderboy Banderboy wrote:

IHNUTABJWTSIAWWBAP
Feel free to use this shortcut which I invented, and fully expect to reach memetic proportions: 

(I have nothing useful to add, but just wanted to say I agree with what's been already posted.)

That would apply to half the comments on forums, including CIH.  LOL

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Personally, IDGAF.

That's good for preventing ulcers, as well as smoking in prohibited areas:

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

madwoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 5:15pm
I plead guilty to using FFS instead of spelling out "for f*ck's sake."
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 5:35pm
I use BTW, AAMOF, AFAIC, GTFOH & IDGAF a lot.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic