Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reality show overload

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 12:54am
Oh great....

CBS is premiering a new reality show called The Briefcase. Its where somebody opens a briefcase and its revelled what's in it. I wish I making this up. Now they're pulling "ideas" straight outta their asses. Sigh it'll probably be one their "most watched" shows on "America's most watched network" blegh.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 2:31am
There's very few reality shows I like. Mainly shows like American Pickers and Pawn Stars. My family has to watch Dancing with the Stars EVERY Monday night...and the main reason? Shark Tank star Robert Herjavec! Yes, we watch "Shark Tank" and I like Robert...he looks really handsome, and gives off some good deals. Can't stand that Mr. Wonderful Kevin O'Leary. He's the only one that gives royalty deals and too-narrow-of-specifics. "$250,000 for 13%, but I want 75c for each product you make until I make up my $250,000, and then it's 40c...oh and I'll give a 7% royalty on top of that!" If I was on the show, I would ignore Kevin's offers. No fine print.

There are specific "Hoarders" and "Hoarding: Buried Alive" episodes I enjoy - mainly ones where people hoard antiques and electronics. Who knows how many tens of thousands are in antique hoarder's estates. If I had to clean an estate like that, some items would go to me and some items would be donated to antique stores! Unless they are broke, they wouldn't go into the landfill.
There were a couple of episodes where hoarders had large lots (thousands) of VHS tapes laying around...plus several VCRs to boot. One hoarder had home-recorded tapes dating back to the early 1980s...imagine how many vintage and rare shows were on those tapes, plus commercials to boot. VHS is slowly becoming a "vintage" video format.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:35pm
Game of Thrones.
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:12pm
I got into it when AMC did the Breaking Bad one night a week marathon. All seasons were split over a couple months. Awesome show that is definitely worth watching if you like Better Call Saul.
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 8:48pm

I wished I'd gotten into that one (Breaking Bad) at the beginning.  At this point, I'm not going to watch 5 seasons of it on some binge.  I got into the Walking Dead on a weekend binge, but it was only 17 episodes worth.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 8:42pm
You can't forget Breaking Bad. AMC has a great lineup of top quality shows. Or Sherlock on PBS. I can't wait for the next season to finally get here.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

Reality shows are generally cheap, formulaic, easy to produce, easy to come up with, and very easy to get viewers. Look at Hoarders, for an example. There's no lack of content there. There are plenty of people with houses filled to the ceiling with worthless junk, and people are heavily drawn to the 'freakshow' aesthetic. As in, 'look at what these dysfunctional people are doing, isn't it strange?' sort of thing, and people love that sh*t and eat it up. Even those of us here who are more perceptive probably tune in to some of these shows, just to see what insanity is happening on the screen. It's like rubber-necking when you pass a bad car accident on the interstate. It's almost an irresistible instinct.

I admit to liking a few of those.  I've watched Hoarders and some show about 600lb people.  And yes, it's basically to gawk.

I also agree with the rest of your post.  There've been plenty of good shows over the past few years.  The one I like most is The Walking Dead, but Mad Men, Better Call Saul, Downton Abbey and others are considered quality stuff, too.  Even the commercials during those shows seem better.

Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 7:21pm
I think the quality shows have just become more concentrated. Like, most of the shows we see now are sh*t, reality shows that the networks can pump out quickly and VERY cheaply. But if you look at some of the shows that are touted as great by most everyone, almost ubiquitously, the production values and quality of those shows are probably better than they've ever been. Sitting down to watch some of these shows is akin to watching a movie for the first time, due to the great cast, the effects and costumes and sets, and some great writers. So it's just become more concentrated, much more potent, in some cases. So while you have to tread through a sea of absolute sh*t, reality shows, awful carbon-copy sitcoms, contest shows, etc. when you do find a legitimately good show, you can bet it will be excellent.

Most networks are catering to the lowest common denominator, but there are a few networks who take a break from that and give something to us, viewers with a discerning eye, that's worth watching.

Reality shows are generally cheap, formulaic, easy to produce, easy to come up with, and very easy to get viewers. Look at Hoarders, for an example. There's no lack of content there. There are plenty of people with houses filled to the ceiling with worthless junk, and people are heavily drawn to the 'freakshow' aesthetic. As in, 'look at what these dysfunctional people are doing, isn't it strange?' sort of thing, and people love that sh*t and eat it up. Even those of us here who are more perceptive probably tune in to some of these shows, just to see what insanity is happening on the screen. It's like rubber-necking when you pass a bad car accident on the interstate. It's almost an irresistible instinct.

In-general, the shows that actually take alot of money to make, and alot of effort from the people involved, turn out better than you could imagine. Obviously, there are a few outliers to every trend, but it seems to be the case to me that when you discover a good show, it's usually sort of mind-blowing, but you've got to dig through a mountain of bullsh*t to find the diamonds.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 6:34am
PBS had a music/reality show kind of like American Idol on not too long ago. It was this year.

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 11:31pm
For the guy who mentioned PBS never got close to "reality," you are wrong. Almost 13 years ago PBS showed this reality program:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_House 

Three families living as 1883 Montana homesteaders. Never came back for a second season. But it sure was a reality show!

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 10:10pm
Been seeing commercials for the "new" season of Naked & Afraid. Couples frolic around deserted islands buck naked trying to survive on their own.Sleepy 
Then there is the new season of hillbilly's shooting gators - forget what it's called. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 8:06pm
There's a new reality show starting tonight. It's called "Cedric`s Barber Battle." It's exactly what it sounds like. A reality show haircutting competition. More quality television to look forward to. Dead

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 2:34am
I read somewhere that Reality Shows , were invented because people were getting tired of Sitcoms that had family problems solved within 30 minutes, when real life family problems would take a whole Season to be dealt with, so Reality shows were ushered in to embody real families. The Reality show fad is too much now, with a bunch of nonsense Reality shows, such as Terry Crews family show. Terry is funny, I'll admit, but a show focusing on his family is stupid....

My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Now, it is cheaper and easier to just keep shoving this reality crap at us.  They're cheap and easy to make.  They can try them by the dozen, and failure doesn't really matter.  They just throw them out and try the next pos that they came up while they were all snorting coke in some room somewhere.  Quality television costs money.  This crap does not.

Except, as I listed, there are lots of quality, non-reality TV shows on. The difference is, there are lots more shows TOTAL on now than there were in the past.

Years ago, there may have been 5 good shows on at a given time, but that's out of 10 shows total. Now a days, there's 20 good shows on at a given time, that's 4x as many good shows, but  there's also 10 times as many channels, so you get 20 good shows out of 100 shows total.
I am not disagreeing with you at all.  I watch a some of the shows that you listed, and many others.  I usually have two DVRs loaded with shows to watch.  It's just that this is a thread on reality shows, and I NEVER pass up an opportunity to discuss how much I hate the entire genre. Big smile  I know that I'm in the minority with my hatred of all things reality TV.  It's good to find others that dislike them as well. Smile

Well, the cheapness of reality shows is why there's so many of them. They cost so little to make that channels can basically throw anything at the wall and see what sticks, and because of their lower costs, a lot fewer people have to watch them for them to decide that they're successful enough to stick. Of course, even with a lower margin being required for a show to be considered a success, i STILL have yet to figure out why people watch the Kardashian shows and stuff...
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 5:06am
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Now, it is cheaper and easier to just keep shoving this reality crap at us.  They're cheap and easy to make.  They can try them by the dozen, and failure doesn't really matter.  They just throw them out and try the next pos that they came up while they were all snorting coke in some room somewhere.  Quality television costs money.  This crap does not.

Except, as I listed, there are lots of quality, non-reality TV shows on. The difference is, there are lots more shows TOTAL on now than there were in the past.

Years ago, there may have been 5 good shows on at a given time, but that's out of 10 shows total. Now a days, there's 20 good shows on at a given time, that's 4x as many good shows, but  there's also 10 times as many channels, so you get 20 good shows out of 100 shows total.
I am not disagreeing with you at all.  I watch a some of the shows that you listed, and many others.  I usually have two DVRs loaded with shows to watch.  It's just that this is a thread on reality shows, and I NEVER pass up an opportunity to discuss how much I hate the entire genre. Big smile  I know that I'm in the minority with my hatred of all things reality TV.  It's good to find others that dislike them as well. Smile
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 2:55am

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  Agreed.  I was going to say the same thing last night, but couldn't come up with a list of all the well-received shows offhand.  I've heard both critics and people say good things about most of those shows.  I watch a lot of The Walking Dead, and it's definitely not garbage.  

But I've been around practically since TV began, and I've been hearing the same thing forever---that TV used to be so much better.  I think people just look at the past through rose-colored glasses.  

It's also possible that TV viewing habits have changed.  It used to be that there was a limited number of shows, everyone watched the same ones at the same time, and everyone talked about them the next day.  With cable, On Demand, DVR, Netflix, etc., that's no longer the case.  TV no longer has that unifying effect.

While I do agree that it's human nature to look at the past through rose colored glasses, I will say this.  IMO, TV started going down the toilet when reality television started.  My first exposure to it was Real World, on MTV.  I never watched it, but my wife did.  She watches a bunch of them, and I can't even stand to be in the same room as the tv, when they're on.  When I was younger, the only reality shows I remember were variety hour types of shows.  There may have been others, but I don't recall them.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 11:01pm
Nope! I Don't think so!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 3:52am
If Mob Wives doesn't peak your interest,  maybe Amish Mafia will? Wink

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 12:47am
I left the TV room for a brief while to fill some cups with soda. What was on was "SNL In The 2000s". When I came back the TV was still muted some ladies were arguing. I pushed on info and what it was called "Mob Wives" I had no interest in it and "60 Minutes" was on so...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 2:22pm

^  Agreed.  I was going to say the same thing last night, but couldn't come up with a list of all the well-received shows offhand.  I've heard both critics and people say good things about most of those shows.  I watch a lot of The Walking Dead, and it's definitely not garbage.  

But I've been around practically since TV began, and I've been hearing the same thing forever---that TV used to be so much better.  I think people just look at the past through rose-colored glasses.  

It's also possible that TV viewing habits have changed.  It used to be that there was a limited number of shows, everyone watched the same ones at the same time, and everyone talked about them the next day.  With cable, On Demand, DVR, Netflix, etc., that's no longer the case.  TV no longer has that unifying effect.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 6:19am
Originally posted by sunbreak777 sunbreak777 wrote:

I agree. Television show quality keeps disintegrating.  

The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Justified, Longmire, Walking Dead, Mad Men, Rescue Me, Community, Modern Family, Leverage, Criminal Minds, NCIS, American Horror Story, Boardwalk Empire, ...sure, not all of them will appeal to everyone, but there's a LOT of quality tv there.

There aren't as many good comedies as there have been in the past, and yeah, westerns(at least, traditional westerns) aren't a thing anymore, but hell, if you like dramas, some of the best TV shows of all time have aired within the past decade, if you think television quality keeps disintegrating, upgrade to cable and quit watching only basic channels.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 5:11am
Originally posted by sunbreak777 sunbreak777 wrote:

I agree. Television show quality keeps disintegrating.  The only things I watch now are Antenna TV, Me TV, PBS and crime/detective type shows. The rest is garbage.

Angry Evil SmileSeconded! Evil Smile Angry
Poiuyt Power!!!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 2:28am
I don't know what Flava's problem was.
.. Someone found his ugly ass hot. I'd be thrilled if I were as ugly as Flava Flav is, and someone was horny for me.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

sunbreak777 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunbreak777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 12:04am
I agree. Television show quality keeps disintegrating.  The only things I watch now are Antenna TV, Me TV, PBS and crime/detective type shows. The rest is garbage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic