Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - news using the corporate names of campaign centers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

news using the corporate names of campaign centers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: news using the corporate names of campaign centers
    Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 8:06pm
For once can I NOT have product placement when I watch a convention? No doubt the big media companies pushed for this. What the heck is wrong with "the Denver convention Center" and "Mile High Stadium" oh, I guess they're too boring, plgghDisapprove
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 2:34am
I guess you don't watch too many sports.  Many sports stadiums have corporate sponsorship.  Notable exceptions are Lambeau Field and Arrowhead Stadium.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 3:00am
Yes I do and I also hear the corporate names as well.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Yes I do and I also hear the corporate names as well.

Ad nauseous, maybe you don't understand the concept?  Corporations pay sh*tLOADS of money for the naming rights of the stadiums, arenas and convention centers.  San Francisco first leased the naming rights of Candlestick Park, where the 49ers play (and where the San Francisco Giants used to play) to 3Com.  So, for a few years (whatever the length of the contract), Candestick Park's official name became 3Com Park. 

(Candlestick Park is located on Candlestick Point, which is the actual name of the piece of land that juts into San Francisco Bay.  So, even though it was called 3Com Park, it was still located on Candlestick Point!)

Anyway, the die-hards kept calling it Candlestick, even though the road signs were all changed to 3Com Park.

Then, the contract expired, and the name of the stadium reverted to Candlestick Park.  Then the Monster Cable Company bought the naming rights, so it was called Monster Park. 
I think it's Candlestick again, but I'm not sure. 

The funniest part of this was that when Bill Walsh died last year (year before?), a memorial was held at Candlestick, and the field was named "Bill Walsh Field."  So even though Monster paid for the right to name it Monster Park (which I actually thought was kind of cute), they got screwed because it's Bill Walsh Field. 

So, the cities make a lot of much-needed money by selling the naming rights to their stadiums, etc.  They sound ugly, I agree, but it's become the custom now.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 8:26pm
lest we forget Wrigley Field
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 8:30pm
Excuse me while I chew my gum.
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 11:23pm
I think Wrigley was the original (it was called Cubs Park before) but then Wrigley owned the Cubs at the time.
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 12:38am
So Wrigley Field is the same Wrigley as the gum??? HUMMMM I did not know dat!!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 12:50am
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

lest we forget Wrigley Field

And Connie Mack Stadium.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 12:55am
Faith, Connie was the manager/owner of the Athletics.  Not a corporate name.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 1:35am
Hootie, I'm sorry.  I knew he wasn't a corporation, but I thought he was in the same category as Wrigley (not a corporation).  But I don't know:  was the field named after him, or the corporation?
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 2:12am
I may be wrong (there's always a first),  but Mack wasn't a corporate person, just baseball.

Wrigley started out selling powder and gum..then baseball.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 7:06pm
I got to see the Wrigley building on the Magnificent Mile.
I think it was the building that has the faceless stone angels on its top.
You can see them from the Sears tower. The story is that William Wrigley figured he could cut costs because his building was so tall that people would only see the angelic shapes of the sculptures from the ground and there was no need to focus on faces.
He figured his tower was going to be the tallest.

I may be wrong on it being the Wrigley building but I think it was.
I kind of doubt that story myself and figure the angels are just an artdeco thing. No enterprising business man in the early part of the industrial era would dare think his building would be the last one ever built.
Still makes for a good story on a tour.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Corporations pay sh*tLOADS of money for the naming rights of the stadiums, arenas and convention centers. 

As usual I'm going off topic, but I always thought that expression would make more sense if it was actually shiploads.  Shiploads with a P.  I've been seeing lots of shows about about ships lately, those things are huuuuge.  They hold shiploads of stuff.  LOL

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

For once can I NOT have product placement when I watch a convention? No doubt the big media companies pushed for this. What the heck is wrong with "the Denver convention Center" and "Mile High Stadium" oh, I guess they're too boring, plgghDisapprove

Mile High Stadium was actually torn down (and is now Invesco Field), as was McNichol's Arena (what used to be the Pepsi Center). I liked those Mile High and McNichol's better.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
doggiethedog View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggiethedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 3:33am
Originally posted by timdubya timdubya wrote:

I guess you don't watch too many sports.  Many sports stadiums have corporate sponsorship.  Notable exceptions are Lambeau Field and Arrowhead Stadium.

Not for long, in the case of Arrowhead. The Chiefs announced last week that they were selling naming rights to the stadium when the renovations are finished. But Arrowhead will still be part of the name.

We'll probably NEVER (hopefully) see naming rights sold to:
        Yankee Stadium (even the new one)
        Fenway
        Dodger Stadium
        Soldier Field
        Camden Yards (Orioles stadium)
        The above-mentioned Lambeau
        Madison Square Garden
        ...and a few others, particularly historic college facilities...
Sometimes you feel like an Idol
Sometimes you feel like an Idiot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic