Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GoDaddy's pulled Superbowl Ad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GoDaddy's pulled Superbowl Ad
    Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 2:50pm
I love me some dogs, but come on. Thor, you're absolutely right about the power of being offended, because some butthurts in the world have seen to it that we'll be deprived of this gem come Sunday:

Like I said, I love dogs, but this is just funny... and it was just meant to be funny. Lighten up people, don't let political correctness destroy all the good humor.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 3:06pm
Personally, I think it's pretty tasteless.

Nothing funny about treating animals like some commodity. That sh*t happens too much as it is & making light of it that way just sends people the message that it's no big deal.

The fact that it got made to begin with, reflects a total lack of class by both the ad agency who dreamed it up & GoDaddy for approving it.

The fact that it's on the web for people to view anyway just shows that they don't really give a sh*t.

F*ck GoDaddy.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 3:13pm
I moved all of my domains from GoDaddy a few years back.  All of those Danica Patrick trash ads made them look like a low class pile of losers.  Figured my money was better spent elsewhere.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 3:31pm

They could've gone for the "Awwww" reaction rather than turn it around at the end.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 3:39pm
There are several things to be said about this ad.
Responsible people would not take the risk of a puppy falling out of the truck, buy a dog cage.
The simulated action of the dog being thrown out is in poor taste and it's not likely the poor fella would have such a soft landing.
What 6 week old puppy has developed any of it's tracking skills, he'll never make it home.
Why in the f**k didn't the people go looking for the dog as soon as they stopped the truck?
And like mentioned before the puppy mill attitude is pretty bad too.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 3:42pm
I actually agree with Dh that it's funny. It's not that I don't see the humor in it. But IMO, it just shouldn't be in a commercial & certainly not during the SB.

The premise might be funny in an Adam Sandler movie or one by those Farelly brothers, etc., where the characters are all a bunch of idiots anyway.

With me it's more about the medium than the substance.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 3:43pm
I watched it again with my dog, and he laughed. Plus now the pup has street smarts, which will help him in the real world.

I see big things for Buddy, like saving kids from wells and becoming a Basketball star.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

I watched it again with my dog, and he laughed. Plus now the pup has street smarts, which will help him in the real world.

I see big things for Buddy, like saving kids from wells and becoming a Basketball star.

And humping lots of sweet bitches.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Absolutely. Buddy just hit the big time, and it's thanks largely to that school of hard knocks stuff early in his life.

Anyway, am I a fan of puppy mills? No, I adopt shelter dogs. Do I think it's a tasteless ad? Eh, kinda, but I can see what they were going for so it doesn't really bother me. 

My main point was more the commercial's right to exist. A lot of comedy is tasteless, and offensive, and actually relies on those facts to get the laughs. I don't get on my soap box about much, but when the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many, I get irritated. "Oh, we can't offend this bunch over here, so we better scrap this" is going to get way out of hand eventually. There's always going to be someone who is offended by anything we do. I guess we'll have to stop doing anything.

There's a Carl's Jr. ad in CIH where the "wholesome image" point was brought up. Wholesome image? I guess we're doing damage control then, because the NFL hasn't really screamed "wholesome" lately. I say we let them puppies run around the Superbowl too.

LOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 4:53pm
The NFL is still back peddling, check out their new PSA for the Super Bowl.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 4:59pm

Agreed, Darth.  

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's any sort of animal abuse.  I don't think this commercial is that.  As I said earlier, I'd rather it have ended differently, but it's not all that horrible.  Not worth protesting.  If someone wants to protest puppy mills, go out and protest the actual thing.  

Also, I wonder if the commercial is GoDaddy's answer to the Puppy Bowl.

peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 7:57pm
I am active in the movement to shut down all puppy mills.  This commercial is advertising the website domain company that enables the woman in the ad to advertise for her puppy mill.  That is what's wrong with this picture.

You can't say you're against puppy mills, but then say the commercial is cute anyway.  Yes, the puppy is extremely cute.  That he doesn't get hurt while being flung from the back of the pickup truck is a good thing.  That he even has the opportunity to be flung from a truck is a bad thing.  The journey home is heartening, but the woman who intends to sell the puppy is a bad thing.

What would you think if GoDaddy had an ad where someone sets up their website to promote dog fighting?

Us animal welfare types tend to get a little testy when animals are portrayed as being abused, and puppy mills are just that:  mills that churn out puppies for profit, oftentimes inbreeding, and the dogs and pups are living in deplorable conditions.

Everything Jimbo said:  Thumbs Up
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

The NFL is still back peddling, check out their new PSA for the Super Bowl.

Wow.  This one actually made me cry.  It reminded me of the 911 calls Nicole Brown Simpson made (even though she came right out and asked for help, not pretending to order pizza).  Cry
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 8:09pm
Don't cry!  Jeez, all the emotion?
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 8:26pm

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Absolutely. Buddy just hit the big time, and it's thanks largely to that school of hard knocks stuff early in his life.

Anyway, am I a fan of puppy mills? No, I adopt shelter dogs. Do I think it's a tasteless ad? Eh, kinda, but I can see what they were going for so it doesn't really bother me. 

My main point was more the commercial's right to exist. A lot of comedy is tasteless, and offensive, and actually relies on those facts to get the laughs. I don't get on my soap box about much, but when the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many, I get irritated. "Oh, we can't offend this bunch over here, so we better scrap this" is going to get way out of hand eventually. There's always going to be someone who is offended by anything we do. I guess we'll have to stop doing anything.

There's a Carl's Jr. ad in CIH where the "wholesome image" point was brought up. Wholesome image? I guess we're doing damage control then, because the NFL hasn't really screamed "wholesome" lately. I say we let them puppies run around the Superbowl too.

LOL

"It" has been way out of hand for quite some time!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 8:34pm
Thumbs UpLOLWhat a wonderful commercial! There was NO reason to pull it unless the little Charmin Puppy didn't quite make it across the tracks in time, if even for 1/2 a leg (I always wanted to name a dog 'Skippity Hipity Hop').
For me? Probably would have won the BEST of the BEST Stuperbowl Commercials.
*IIIIiiiiiii* LIKE IT!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 11:04pm
I'm not saying I don't understand who is offended by it, or why they're offended, or even challenging their right to be offended. I'm saying that someone being offended shouldn't be grounds for it being pulled. 

I know it's apples and oranges, but I might get offended by a commercial for a cream that you put on your old, dried-up vagina to make intercourse hurt less, airing while I'm eating dinner. (It really doesn't bother me, I'm almost impossible to offend, it's just an example) That commercial isn't getting pulled, and I know I'm not the only person to gripe (If I were to gripe). 

And yes, Sarge, you're right. "It" got out of control a long time ago.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 12:43am
GoDaddy pulled the commercial from the SB ads-athon because they decided they didn't want their image associated with the backlash that erupted via social media.  Apparently, GoDaddy doesn't believe any publicity is good publicity.  Wink
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 1:27am
Yep, that's what I mean. From a business standpoint I get it, it just irks me. Everyone caves now out of fears of tweets or twits or twats or pins or whatever.

Can I say twats?
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 1:37am

Yep, that's what I mean. From a business standpoint I get it, it just irks me. Everyone caves now out of fears of tweets or twits or twats or pins or whatever.

Can I say twats?
I don't know if it's on Miss Priss's Banned Words List, but if you get a PM admonishing you, please let us know.  Wink  Tongue
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 9:46am
I can't be the only who noticed that the main dog in the commercial is clearly a different dog than the one in the website....    Main dog is beige, website dog is white.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 10:42am
I noticed it too, but since Buddy was on his long journey home and she somehow managed to "just sell him" anyway, I'm thinking she used stock photos.

Hopefully when the people get him and see that he's tan and not white, they don't throw him out the back of their own truck.

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic