Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rock & Roll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a diferent Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock & Roll
    Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 11:02am
Hey we just had an earthquake 'bout 20 minutes ago (4:40 ish am).  Being as this is a rare occurance around here (Illinois) I thought I'd share.

According to the news it was about a 5.4 magnitude quake centered near West Salem IL, near the Illinois/Indiana border.

I'm in Plano which is about 50 miles west of Chicago and felt it for about 5-10 seconds.

To allay any fears, we're all fine here.  I didn't hear anything crash in the house.
Sponsored Links

suenewtotx View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenewtotx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 11:36am
Mark, I'm glad that you're all okay & nothing was destroyed.  Back in 1998, when I was living in Garrettsville, Ohio (northeast part of the state), I also experienced an earthquake.  I was sitting on my living room couch, when I felt this light rumbling under my feet.  It wasn't a very strong rumbling which didn't last very long, & nothing shook in my house, but it was enough of a feeling to make me take notice.  My immediate thought was that it was a huge truck on the way to making a Giant Eagle (grocery store) delivery, which was right down the street from my house.  I looked out the window, but there were no trucks anywhere in sight.  Baffled as to what it could've been, I thought, "Hmmm, I wonder if that's what an earthquake feels like."  Sure enough, it was.  This earthquake, which I don't remember what magnitude it was & where it originated from & finally ended, ran through parts of Ohio to PA.  It did some damage in the town of Jamestown, PA, which is only a little over an hour from Garrettsville.  When I say damage, I don't mean as bad as an earthquake where lots of people die & homes are demolished, but I particularly remember reading that stores had lots of items crashing off their shelves. 
a diferent Mark View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a diferent Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 11:49am
Well the New Madrid fault runs through this part of the country and apparently causes a slight rumble once or twice a decade, and I remember a small tremor about ten or twelve years ago.  It may have been the same one you felt.

Isn't geology fun?
Adreme View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by a diferent Mark a diferent Mark wrote:

Hey we just had an earthquake 'bout 20 minutes ago (4:40 ish am).  Being as this is a rare occurance around here (Illinois) I thought I'd share.According to the news it was about a 5.4 magnitude quake centered near West Salem IL, near the Illinois/Indiana border.I'm in Plano which is about 50 miles west of Chicago and felt it for about 5-10 seconds.

You felt it all the way up there ?? My brother and sister live in southern Illinois, I hope they're ok. Cry 
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 1:32pm
It was felt here in Cincy....I didn't, I was still snoring.
Adreme View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

That was probably the cause of the earthquake.  LOL 
Adreme View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 6:14pm
My sister just emailed me, she said that there was a 4.5 after shock just  a little while ago.  Confused
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by suenewtotx suenewtotx wrote:

Mark, I'm glad that you're all okay & nothing was destroyed.  Back in 1998, when I was living in Garrettsville, Ohio (northeast part of the state), I also experienced an earthquake.  I was sitting on my living room couch, when I felt this light rumbling under my feet.  It wasn't a very strong rumbling which didn't last very long, & nothing shook in my house, but it was enough of a feeling to make me take notice.  My immediate thought was that it was a huge truck on the way to making a Giant Eagle (grocery store) delivery, which was right down the street from my house.  I looked out the window, but there were no trucks anywhere in sight.  Baffled as to what it could've been, I thought, "Hmmm, I wonder if that's what an earthquake feels like."  Sure enough, it was.  This earthquake, which I don't remember what magnitude it was & where it originated from & finally ended, ran through parts of Ohio to PA.  It did some damage in the town of Jamestown, PA, which is only a little over an hour from Garrettsville.  When I say damage, I don't mean as bad as an earthquake where lots of people die & homes are demolished, but I particularly remember reading that stores had lots of items crashing off their shelves. 
Jamestown is actually in NY, believe it or not.
I remember that too.
I was six years old, and I was at my mom's work, which was, back then, Applebee's (don't worry, my mom's moved significantly higher on the career ladder since then). I was drinking iced tea, and I heard the ice cubes shaking. By themselves. I wasn't scared, I was more like "DUDE SWEET"
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 11:50pm

Originally posted by Adreme Adreme wrote:

You been talking to my wife???Wink
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Adreme Adreme wrote:

Nawwwwwww...'even money' sez the Hootet stuffs a sock in his beak when he starts to snore...LOL
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 2:16am
I HATE earthquakes! I'm glad you're all okay.

I get "shook up" for a good amount of time after it's over. We had one a few months back that was a fairly decent size, I think a 5.6. Luckily, I was back east at the time of the big 1989 SF quake. I am NOT a fan.
Adreme View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 11:40am
I remember two earthquakes that hit upstate NY in the 80's.  One hit in the early 80's sometime around 1:00 am, I was coming home from a concert from Buffalo.  The second one was sometime around '89.  They ARE scary. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic