Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PBS programming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 3:22pm
They need to resolve the Bates issue once & for all. It's getting tedious.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Just a little bit.  It's hard to give/get much info when there are 5 seasons worth of storyline and no commercial breaks.

One thing I asked was who we (the viewers) like and who we dislike.  I think we're supposed to dislike the gay guy and some chick he's friends with.  Everyone else is OK, according to the people I was watching it with.

I thought the show was pretty good, but I'm not going to be playing ketchup any time soon on 5 seasons worth of material.

No commercials......ahhhhh, the way TV should always be.
This programme is filmed like no other. The scenes involving the house staff are filmed by a camera person who follows the actors portraying the staff with hand held cameras. The scenes featuring the Crawley family and their friends, are filmed with set cameras. The intimacy of the house staff, via the close-up hand held cameras, versus the set cameras showing a wider panoramic scene, adds to the charm of this series.
Julian Fellowes, ( who is himself an actor, he portrayed the role of Killwilley on the programme Monarch Of The Glen), has written and directed a true masterpiece with this series. Very like Jean March and Aileen Adkins did with Upstairs Downstairs.
One man gathers what another man spills
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

They need to resolve the Bates issue once & for all. It's getting tedious.

Agreed!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 3:37pm
This is going back a long time ago but does anyone remember "Prime Suspect" from PBS? It was the first thing I can recall seeing Helen Mirren in and I thought she was marvelous. I wish they'd bring that back.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 5:24pm
I also recall 'Prime Suspect' - I got a little tired of it when Helen gave 'cougar' a whole new meaning in a few episodes.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 5:54pm
Prime Suspect was great. Our local (secondary) PBS station played the hell out of some of them, tiring me of it.

Foyle's War is another one. Great series set in Southern England during WWII.

Michael Kitchen & Honeysuckle Weeks as DCS Foyle & his driver "Sam".

Must see if you never have.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 7:44pm
Call the Midwife.

A drama series about the world of midwifery and family life in 1950s East London, complete with Sisters in the convent.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by peachblossom666 peachblossom666 wrote:

Call the Midwife.

A drama series about the world of midwifery and family life in 1950s East London, complete with Sisters in the convent.

This is an excellent programme.
My Mum was a Nurse during that era, and she told me that Call The Midwife is dead accurrate in it's depiction.
I like how it incorporates the music and fashions of the times with morals and mores of that era.
Well acted also.
peachblossom666 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachblossom666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 8:33pm
^ I'm glad to know that a real nurse from that era gave her stamp of approval!  I figured it was accurate.  The racism at the time was jarring for me to see.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 8:37pm
There was a programme that ITV aired a few years ago, which was cancelled before it reached a proper ending. It was written by Aileen Atkins and Jean Marsh, the same duo who created Upstairs Downstairs, and the programme I'm referring to is: The House Of Eliot.
This was a rags to riches tale about two sisters who's father died (owing his life's earning to improper finances, thus leaving the girls virtually penniless). The two ladies were able to put their hobby of dressmaking to good use, thus becoming well known and respected designers of their own. It was set in the 1920's, and was well casted, and acted to perfection.
The studio was doing budget cuts, so the series ended after 3 seasons. This was a true Masterpiece Theater favourite by everyone, but ITV screwed up by becoming cheap.
I hate when that happens.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 8:37pm
I think series 4 might be divisive; it's the first series without Jenny, with new members, and while I still enjoy it, I can picture this being like when they killed off Richard Brier's character in Monarch of the Glenn.

Still, Call the Midwife is well-written, has great characters, and is beautifully filmed; it's one of a small variety of shows that make me happy to have a higher-end TV.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 8:39pm
Jimmy, I loved that show; I was introduced to it by the French and Saunders "House of Idiot" sketches.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 8:48pm
ITV also screwed up by cancelling a popular programme which was aired recently, it was entitled: Lark Rise To Candleford, starring Juliia Sawaltha, Dawn French, Brendon Coyle, Claudie Blakley, and the lovely and enchanting Olivia Hallinan in the lead roles.
This programme is about the relationships between two neighbouring towns, one town Lark Rise is populated by poor, working class renters, while Candleford is populated by the wealthier gentry. It's set in Oxfordshire during the late 19th century, and it's a very heartwarming tale. It's very family friendly.
For budget troubles, this outstanding programme was scrapped......which has successfully pissed off the viewing audience who enjoyed following the tales of these two wonderful, rural towns.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by peachblossom666 peachblossom666 wrote:

^ I'm glad to know that a real nurse from that era gave her stamp of approval!  I figured it was accurate.  The racism at the time was jarring for me to see.

Blimey, the racism and antisemetism in the UK was rampant back then. The UK took quite a beating during WWII, so jobs for everyone were at a minimum, even though the returning soldiers were everywhere.
The suburbs of London were nothing more than ruins, I can remember hearing about kids who lost their lives while playing amongst the rubble. Very often the kids would uncover an unexploded bomb ( Christ! They're still finding them today!).
Racism, antisemtism, and the overall paranoia about everything outside of Britain was the norm back then. As a society, we were scared sh*tless, but we were still proud.
Being as how I was raised in a resort area, I was fortunate enough to know very little about the racism which was heavily within the main cities.
My Dad was a scientist, while Mum was a nurse. We were taught in my house that every person is equal, and I grew up colourblind, when it came to race or religion.
Mum recently told me that much of the racism came from those who had little or no formal education, and that they had to struggle for every job that was available.
I can remember my Dad's partners and colleagues from his business, many of which were from India, or from the Caribbian Islands. All of which my father loved like his own brothers, and they all fought for GB during WWII. My Dad also fancied American Jazz music, so I was raised listening to the music from artists like Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, John Coltrane etc.
I hate racism.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Jimmy, I loved that show; I was introduced to it by the French and Saunders "House of Idiot" sketches.

Oh God! I remember watching French & Saunders, it was hilarious. Just as Laurie & Fry was, ( the comedy programme featuring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry....which was made around the same time they were cast members of Jeeves & Wooster.....another classic Masterpiece Theatre programme).
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:32pm
I'm not a fan of Call the Midwife. Too much screaming by child-bearing women & howling babies. I do enjoy Miranda Hart's other (self-titled) show Miranda, though.

There's an old 70's Britcom I watch on YouTube occasionally called Open All Hours. Its about the owner of a small shop(pe) & stars one of The Two Ronnies.

My favorite though, is Last of the Summer Wine.

Those guys are a hoot.

C'mon, man!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:38pm
One of the best ITV programmes which was aired on PBS during the early Masterpiece Theatre series was entitled: Poldark.
This was set in the UK during the post Revolutionary War defeat. Ross Poldark was a returning soldier, finding his family home nearly completely destroyed. He was originally reported as killed in combat, but was actually wounded, then held captive as a POW in "the colonies". His former love believed him dead, so she married Ross Poldark's rival. When Ross returns, he re-establishes his home, then proceeds to rebuild his family business at the mill. He still loves his former betrothed, thus continuing his fight with the Warleggon family.
He then meets and falls in love with a lovely, ginger haired, tough girl...they marry, then live happily ever after.....
Not!
Poldark is a series about love and hate, between rivalries and bitterness, but by the time it ends, it is a about a fine man in a tumultuous time.
I love Poldark, and was delighted to find it on DVD!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:48pm
Another great series which was on the early Masterpiece Theatre was another ITV programme entitled: Danger U.X.B.
This one starred Anthony Andrews and a host of many other fine British actors and actresses from the late 70's era.
This one was about the London suburbs during WWII. The Nazis cascaded the entire UK with a series of high-tech bombs during their blitzkreigs. Many of the bombs were to remain dormant until they were defused, then BOOOM! They'd take out any one and anything near them.
The fuses kept changing, so the UXB squads were constantly losing personel. Anthony Andrews starts out as a novice, then becomes the senior officer in charge of his UXB squad.
This programme will keep you on the edge of your seat with each episode.
It's bloody brilliant!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:53pm
A new Poldark is being made by the BBC, I believe, to be aired later this year.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:58pm
Some sad news, production of Series 3 of "In The Flesh" has been cancelled due to budget restrains, most likely since the channel its on - BBC three - is being turned into an online exclusive channel. This is incredibly depressing, especially since budget has been wasted on utterly sh*tty shows like Siblings and Crims. I'm hoping this is merely a delay, which has happened before, and not a full on cancellation/shelving. The show has pulled in a huge International audience, so I hope the BBC realizes that we at least need a conclusion to the terrific story. Ideally it'll be picked up by BBC one for a final 6 episode series, though if not, I'd be happy with Channel 4 getting the rights to it.

Again, I recommend watching this show if possible, it's a very unique and interesting take on the Zombie mythos (In a similar vein of Les Revenants)
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:11pm
There was a really good, but short-lived series in the early 00's entitled Island at War. One of the characters, a German Airman, was played by Laurence Fox, most recently known for his role as Sgt Hathaway, the sidekick of Inspector Lewis.

It was set in pre/early-WWII England on the Nazi occupied Channel Islands.

From Wiki: It primarily focuses on three local families: the upper class Dorrs, the middle class Mahys and the working class Jonases, and four German officers. The fictional island of St. Gregory serves as a stand-in for the real-life islands Jersey and Guernsey, and the story is compiled from the events on both islands... and was filmed on location in the Isle of Man from August 2003 to October 2003. When the series was shown in the UK, it appeared in six 70-minute episodes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_at_War

Worth a watch if you ever get the chance.

C'mon, man!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

There was a really good, but short-lived series in the early 00's entitled Island at War. One of the characters, a German Airman, was played by Laurence Fox, most recently known for his role as Sgt Hathaway, the sidekick of Inspector Lewis.

It was set in pre/early-WWII England on the Nazi occupied Channel Islands.

From Wiki: It primarily focuses on three local families: the upper class Dorrs, the middle class Mahys and the working class Jonases, and four German officers. The fictional island of St. Gregory serves as a stand-in for the real-life islands Jersey and Guernsey, and the story is compiled from the events on both islands... and was filmed on location in the Isle of Man from August 2003 to October 2003. When the series was shown in the UK, it appeared in six 70-minute episodes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_at_War

Worth a watch if you ever get the chance.

That was a very good programme! Thanks for mentioning it, Jimbo!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

That was a very good programme! Thanks for mentioning it, Jimbo!

Ended way too soon, though.

As I recall, there was never any kind of resolution or final episode.

I notice from the picture I posted that "Anna" (Bates) from Downtown Abbey was in there, too.

C'mon, man!
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:43am
^I'll have to look for that Island of War--I always need new stuff. I keep reading about a miniseries called Happy Valley that James Norton is also in but I get the feeling I may want to wait until Grantchester is over because he plays such an awful character.

I have Prime Suspect on DVD and pull it out a couple of times a year. It is the original story of a great female cop who has to deal with being treated like a "girl" and not able to do the job.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 4:41am
Happy Valley is just utterly fantastic. Series 2 is coming and I cannot wait. It's easily the BEST drama, if not best show of 2014 by a long shot.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic