Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CCleaner - Registry & PC Cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CCleaner - Registry & PC Cleaner
    Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 6:32pm
Normally I'm very cynical about these spyware removal/pc cleaner software downloads, but this one works like a friggin' charm.  I made sure to read up on multiple reviews on multiple sites, and just about all were 4 to 5/5 star reviews.   Just did it a little bit ago, and after dumping 19 gigs of crap stored in the system (it's about a 7 year old machine so that's a long time for accumulation), my computer's restart, file loading, and browser surfing are all much faster.  Even on CIH the difference is noticeable, particularly the "Listening to" and "Funny" threads.  As the embedded videos on the page added up, so did the time it'd take for them to show up, and it would cause serious lag. It still takes a few seconds for them all to show, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was Clap

The download is 100% free (no registration or even email required) and the program install and use is self explanatory.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

If you go to their home page they have other stuff like defragglers and d/l links for your mobile.

Like I said, I'm a huge cynic when it comes to stuff like this, so I wouldn't endorse it if it wasn't trustworthy and reliable.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 6:37pm
I was a little worried this morning, this thing locked up 3 times as I was trying to get online.
Annoying at worst, the only way out was a restart, but everything is fast and fine now.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 2:32pm
Years ago my computer was having issues. CC Cleaner solved the problem easily and I've used it ever since.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 12:51pm
I've been thinking about doing something along those lines with my laptop. Its getting a bit sluggish too, but like you, I am very skeptical about such things. Was considering getting one of those MyCleanPC thumb drive things they advertise on TV. Highly rated by sites like CNET, etc., but I don't really like ordering that kind of crap because the possibility of getting slammed with all kinds of extra charges & whatnot.

My Avast! anti virus was even popping up a message the other day about detecting a lot of junk that was slowing my computer down, but of course, they want money to fix it too.

I am going to give this one a try based upon your recommendation.

Thanks!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 12:15am
It's safe - had for years. Your first couple of scans will probably be impressive if your machine is as cluttered as you mentioned. After that it's rather mundane.
Registry will show you what it found and ask if you want to save what will be deleted.
Go into Tools and you can manage what is loading on start up.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 4:21am
So, I d/l'd the CCleaner & ran it last night.

Seemed to work pretty good. Cleaned a lot of useless crap off my HD & my registry.

Seems to run a little better.

My computer wasn't in really bad shape. 

I haven't even filled up half of my HD anyway.

But it still made a noticeable difference.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 9:29pm
o.k. kiddies...I tried it..at least it is free.
It cleaned up a few minor registry matters, but other than that - nothing. Prolly 'cause computters are scared of me and run like raped apes when I come to town, anyway.
Yea - no real difference, but I'm cool with that - everyone HAS to make a dollar doing something better than MOST others...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 10:45pm
I want to find a good defragger now.

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 11:15pm
^^^Deflaggler(sp?) both Filehippo or piriform - where you downloaded Ccleaner from- has a free version.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 12:01am
I'll check it out.

Was gonna check c|net, too.

C'mon, man!
Adsontherun View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adsontherun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 4:39pm
Safe website, safe product! Simply cleans up the junk on your computer! On the other hand, I study computer viruses (who cares, I enjoy it) and MyCleanPC...NEVER go there! I've used a sandbox and from the looks of it it will render your computer unusable!
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/mycleanpc.com
Sometimes the loneliness gets to you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No amount of cheers and claps can make anything better.
*^7^&^^^^@($&(@1(*$@~~~~~~~~
1936!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic