Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hoarders is terrifying....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hoarders is terrifying....
    Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 12:15am
I totally disagree. These people need to be made a spectacle of; nothing says buckle down and get your life together like being the centre of mockery and public shaming. :)

Your name reminds me of that Christmas song, y'know the one?

"A day or two ago, I thought I'd take a ride; and soon Miss DonnaKrice was seated by my side."
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 6:48am
^LOL        Shocked
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 2:23pm

Hi Rerun!

Anyway, I like Hoarders because it makes me feel that much better about my own housekeeping.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 3:26pm
^^ LOL

I knew it too, before I even opened the thread.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

^^ LOL

I knew it too, before I even opened the thread.

There's also the fact that he/she uses an Android Mobile to post, with Safari as the browser.  Not that nobody else uses the same, but it's certainly more evidence.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 5:17pm
I was suspicious yesterday, this just confirms it.
He's using my first name!!   I feel dirty...Embarrassed
Why not Bill or Jim or Steve??
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 5:21pm

Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

So you want him to use my or Jimbo's first name?  I think Insanity and Regulus are Bills, too.  LOL

Maybe Rerun's just running out of "real" names at this point.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 5:42pm
LOL
Steve is Hootman, come back ya old fart, look at all the intrigue
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

So you want him to use my or Jimbo's first name?  I think Insanity and Regulus are Bills, too.  LOL

There are lots of Bills floating around here LOL

The first thing I said when I saw this topic title was "Jesus Krice, here we go again."
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

There are lots of Bills floating around here LOL

The first thing I said when I saw this topic title was "Jesus Krice, here we go again."
LOLLOLLOLLOL
What was it, that aussie croc hunter said, aw Krike..LOL Hell, I can barely speak engrish.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 8:42pm
I think Hoarders is disgusting. But I like episodes where homeowners hoard antiques. My great-grandmother was a hoarder of practically anything antique. She had decades of Yakima newspapers back to the 1940s...there were daily recipes in the paper but she never got to them, so the pile just got bigger and bigger until she died in 1993. She had hundreds and hundreds of dolls; 100s of old Life/Saturday Evening Post magazines, vintage mason jars, and who knows how many antiques, knickknacks and more trinkets. Probably millions of dollars in things. It all got repossessed by a major bank in the late 1990s, so everything was gone. Still haven't found the antiques she has anywhere. Probably got thrown away :(

One of the few Hoarders episodes I like is this one: homeowner Beverly. She's got thousands of tapes and several TVs recording. Who knows what treasures she has on the oldest tapes. One family member says "You could ask her for a Phil Donahue episode from 1982, and she would have it." So she's been taping at least for over 30 years...wow. 
www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/beverly-megan

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

I think Hoarders is disgusting. But I like episodes where homeowners hoard antiques. 

I saw one in which the show had some people come in and appraise some of the stuff in the hoard.  They couldn't get to most of it as it was all piled too high and hard to get to.  But they did get to a train set that was worth $10,000 (and there was more in the clutter), and a small painting that was worth $20,000 to $30,000.  And this was just the tip of the iceberg.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 12:13am
I've seen a couple episodes. Still can't understand why the hoarder would want to literally climb over tons of junk to get to another room. It's either fake or a sickness.
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 2:02am
I was watching one of the Hoarders clips on Youtube, where the house was filled with roaches. The kitchen was filled with garbage! Yuck. The owner of the house was just relaxing on her porch, sheepishly saying, "We have a roach infestation." No, bitch. Roaches are just one part of your problem. You have a literal garbage house. I almost screamed when the crewman opened up a coffee can and it was filled with roaches. That was so unbelievably disgusting! One Youtube commentator said, "If these were my friends, I'd kick their asses for being so unbelievably disgusting." I didn't blame him/her.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Hellen View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 7:18pm
Hoarder mentality runs in my family. It certainly is not fake, but I wouldn't call it a sickness, either.

The primary hoarder is my Uncle (hoards empty soda bottles, the big plastic jug kind, because he thinks they will come in handy for storing up water in an emergency.) I'm talking literally HUNDREDS of the things, stacked up neatly in a spare room. He also collects / hoards firearms and ammunition. He is 84 years old. The running joke in the family is, that when the Aliens or Zombies finally show up, everyone is to gather at Uncle's place, b/c that's when the water and bullets will come in handy. A survivalist hoarder, I would say. His sister (my Mom, who is pushing 80) also hoards stuff, but not to a debilitating degree. Just enough to make you scratch your head. They think of it as "saving for a rainy day." Not sick, just a by-product of having grown up dirt poor during the Depression.

My sister (who is 65) hoards old clothes. She has a storage shed full of old, moldy, moth-eaten garments that she hasn't touched in years. If I suggest that they be tossed, she insists that she has to "go through them" to decide what to keep and who might need what--even though they are nearly moth-eaten rags. Again, not fake, not sick, just a by-product of probably having grown up without a lot to choose from to wear.

An interesting aside: our modern consumerist culture has a "throw away" mindset that looks down upon anyone who has a "saver" attitude, those who hold on to items in the hope that someday they may come in handy. The extreme hoarders (who accumulate just pure garbage) see their "stuff", even garbage, as part of their life. That, I think, borders on mental illness, but at the same time, there is a border-line where it isn't sickness, just a mind-set that clashes with our modern notions of consumerism. Just a thought!

PS: I am the complete opposite, perhaps because I (as the youngest) grew up with more at my "disposal"--along with the consumerist attitude that has been instilled via TV COMMERCIALS (OMG) that teaches us to discard and buy new stuff. Just some thoughts!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 8:07pm
^^^ Sounds like my deceased grandparents. 3 metal tool sheds in the back yard packed with 'stuff'.
2 good sized rooms in the attic packed - just like the tv show. File cabinets filled with paper work & bank stuff dating back to the 80's. 
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 8:28pm
Two weeks ago here in the city, a woman died in her house when it caught on fire.  She was a known hoarder.  When the neighbors tried to get in to help her, they couldn't because there was so much stuff. Her body was found on the third floor.  There are also 2 cars in her driveway that are just full of stuff.  It's really sad.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Hellen Hellen wrote:

Hoarder mentality runs in my family. It certainly is not fake, but I wouldn't call it a sickness, either.

The primary hoarder is my Uncle (hoards empty soda bottles, the big plastic jug kind, because he thinks they will come in handy for storing up water in an emergency.) I'm talking literally HUNDREDS of the things, stacked up neatly in a spare room. He also collects / hoards firearms and ammunition. He is 84 years old. The running joke in the family is, that when the Aliens or Zombies finally show up, everyone is to gather at Uncle's place, b/c that's when the water and bullets will come in handy. A survivalist hoarder, I would say. His sister (my Mom, who is pushing 80) also hoards stuff, but not to a debilitating degree. Just enough to make you scratch your head. They think of it as "saving for a rainy day." Not sick, just a by-product of having grown up dirt poor during the Depression.

My sister (who is 65) hoards old clothes. She has a storage shed full of old, moldy, moth-eaten garments that she hasn't touched in years. If I suggest that they be tossed, she insists that she has to "go through them" to decide what to keep and who might need what--even though they are nearly moth-eaten rags. Again, not fake, not sick, just a by-product of probably having grown up without a lot to choose from to wear.

An interesting aside: our modern consumerist culture has a "throw away" mindset that looks down upon anyone who has a "saver" attitude, those who hold on to items in the hope that someday they may come in handy. The extreme hoarders (who accumulate just pure garbage) see their "stuff", even garbage, as part of their life. That, I think, borders on mental illness, but at the same time, there is a border-line where it isn't sickness, just a mind-set that clashes with our modern notions of consumerism. Just a thought!

PS: I am the complete opposite, perhaps because I (as the youngest) grew up with more at my "disposal"--along with the consumerist attitude that has been instilled via TV COMMERCIALS (OMG) that teaches us to discard and buy new stuff. Just some thoughts!

I guess I'd be somewhere in the middle.  I don't discard a lot, but I don't bring in a lot.  I keep things as long as possible.  You should see the briefs I wear.  If they haven't turned to dust yet, they're still good.  LOL

Hellen View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 6:06pm
Same here, although I guess I do have a bit of hoarder in me when it comes to electronics. I just can't seem to throw out old modem cards--I'm talking analog, 14.4 baud, along with old mother boards and hard drives, and earbuds that need minor repair to make one channel work again.

Those things are going to come in handy when the Aliens finally show up! LoL!
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Hellen Hellen wrote:

Same here, although I guess I do have a bit of hoarder in me when it comes to electronics. I just can't seem to throw out old modem cards--I'm talking analog, 14.4 baud, along with old mother boards and hard drives, and earbuds that need minor repair to make one channel work again.

Those things are going to come in handy when the Aliens finally show up! LoL!
I moved about a year ago.  When cleaning out stuff that we didn't want to bring with us, I ended up bringing 8 CRT monitors and 6 computers to recycle, along with crates of old cables, video cards, sound cards, etc...  Old scanners, printers, phones, and TVs, as well.  I understand the hoarding of electronics.  At least I'm on the bottom of the spectrum, because I was able to bring the stuff to recycle without too many problems.  I had carloads of old electronics. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic