Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm Sick of This Ebola Fear-Mongering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm Sick of This Ebola Fear-Mongering
    Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 4:49am
This is why I watch the BBC News and listen to NPR and only those two! "Why, Pit? Why do only watch BBC News and listen to NPR?" Alrighty then! For one thing, they don't have the obnoxious game show spin of their McNews counterparts that insults ones intelligence. Two, when this Ebola outbreak went beyond its West African borders, it was both the BBC and NPR that reported the facts of Ebola. How you get it? How contagious is it? The facts and nothing but the goddamn facts! 

Whereas the American news outlets like: CNN, FOX, and the NY Post and Daily News report this sh*t as if its a doomsday pandemic straight from a Michael Bay screenplay. This type of reporting is dangerous and damaging! Just ask the Nurse from Maine that was held in involuntary quarantine in New Jersey by a certain paranoid fat-ass bully of a governor.  You are more likely to catch the flu which kills thousands of more people every year than Ebola. 

"Attention to every dumbass, xenophobe, and dipsh*t coward in the American public: EBOLA IS NOT AN AIRBORNE VIRUS!!! Okay?! You would know the facts if you weren't too busy attacking Africans, ban kids from returning to school, or watching the Kardashians or lack the mental capacity to distinguish the difference between an epidemic in reality and one in a Michael Bay movie!" And the government officials are the most moronic of all since they put people in quarantine regardless of symptoms or lack thereof. The Doctors and Troops that aid in Africa should be monitored and tested for Ebola in a separate section of the airports and airbases, before they go home. If they are sick the should be treated humanely not like an inmate at f**king Rikers Island!  

Before you begin your rebuttals, I know what Govs. Christie and Cuomo have done is in the public interest. But it was executed with the utmost disrespect and with selfish political reasons(re-elections and midterms). If you want to show strength to combat Ebola; explain the facts to your public before you freak out and quarantine people for a sneezing/coughing fit.

Sponsored Links

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 5:19am
-clap-

Sorry, just the one; my hands are not crude musical instruments.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by PitLoad413 PitLoad413 wrote:

This is why I watch the BBC News and listen to NPR and only those two! "Why, Pit? Why do only watch BBC News and listen to NPR?" Alrighty then! For one thing, they don't have the obnoxious game show spin of their McNews counterparts that insults ones intelligence. Two, when this Ebola outbreak went beyond its West African borders, it was both the BBC and NPR that reported the facts of Ebola. How you get it? How contagious is it? The facts and nothing but the goddamn facts! 

Whereas the American news outlets like: CNN, FOX, and the NY Post and Daily News report this sh*t as if its a doomsday pandemic straight from a Michael Bay screenplay. This type of reporting is dangerous and damaging! Just ask the Nurse from Maine that was held in involuntary quarantine in New Jersey by a certain paranoid fat-ass bully of a governor.  You are more likely to catch the flu which kills thousands of more people every year than Ebola. 

"Attention to every dumbass, xenophobe, and dipsh*t coward in the American public: EBOLA IS NOT AN AIRBORNE VIRUS!!! Okay?! You would know the facts if you weren't too busy attacking Africans, ban kids from returning to school, or watching the Kardashians or lack the mental capacity to distinguish the difference between an epidemic in reality and one in a Michael Bay movie!" And the government officials are the most moronic of all since they put people in quarantine regardless of symptoms or lack thereof. The Doctors and Troops that aid in Africa should be monitored and tested for Ebola in a separate section of the airports and airbases, before they go home. If they are sick the should be treated humanely not like an inmate at f**king Rikers Island!  

Before you begin your rebuttals, I know what Govs. Christie and Cuomo have done is in the public interest. But it was executed with the utmost disrespect and with selfish political reasons(re-elections and midterms). If you want to show strength to combat Ebola
; explain the facts to your public before you freak out and quarantine people for a sneezing/coughing fit.

Thank you Pit, for posting this. I live in NJ, and Mr. Christie has his eye on something far greater than reelection as governor of NJ in a couple of years....he wants to relocate in Washington DC (the White House).
In his defense, he is only looking out for the citizens in this densly populated state. If anyone with the slightest chance of a disease of that proportion were to infect anyone in this state, let's just say that it would get ugly quickly in the USA.
I am also originally from the UK, so I also prefer the news broadcasts from the BBC, and I enjoy the NPR broadcasts on radio ( mainly from the college stations I listen to on occasion).
Unfortunately in the US, news is considered a form of entertainment, that's why so many of the network news programmes feature news articles concerning TV programmes on their home network ( like when ABC drones on about Dancing With The Stars,etc, or on FOX when they mention American Idol as if it were newsworthy).
News is news, just as facts are facts, and too often the networks treat the citizens of the USA as though they are stupid, and lack the intelligence to focus on plain truth. The entertainment insertions in the news are like the corn syrup sweeteners included in so many fast food items that ensure the obesedy of the American public. That pisses me all the way off, because most of my truest friends are Americans,(just as I now have duel citizenship), and I think the U.S. public are as sharp as a tack and as bright as the sun. The network news shows are completely garbage, and they pander to the agenda's of their CEO's rather than the truth.
One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 1:26pm

Like I said in another thread, I was never worried about Ebola.  But I also said that if there's a time to deal with it so that the American public doesn't have to worry about it, it's now.  I understand why the girl in Maine resents being quarantined, but I also understand how such a thing has happened.  

From the beginning, we've gotten half-assed responses to the matter.  Hospitals, unused to dealing with this sort of illness, didn't have a perfect, let alone adequate, system in place.  Neither did the airline system.  On top of that, we had an African guy, who probably knew there was a good likelihood he'd get the disease, board an airplane and invite himself onto our shores.  And then he dies.  And this was after he'd been seen at a hospital!  Then, two nurses who dealt with him come down with the disease.  If medical people can get the disease, why would the American people trust medicine when it tells us that the rest of us have nothing to worry about.  All we have to do is follow "protocol", whatever that is.  I guess we're all supposed to follow protocol the first time someone with the disease manifests a symptom in our face.

On top of that, all the doctors and scientists are saying that if someone's symptom-free, the disease is harmless to others.  Yet science also tells us that the disease is present in the semen of E-patients for up to 90 days after the disease is gone and the patient is symptom-free.  Even if there's no documentation of anyone having gotten the disease this way, it doesn't exactly place confidence in what they've told us.  

Also, the response we got from the government was wishy-washy.  Never did they even entertain the idea of barring travel from the E countries of west Africa, which probably would've done a lot to allay the fears of Americans (it didn't help that the race-baiters were already on TV with their charges of racism).  Instead, we get an Ebola Czar (who we haven't heard from since Day 1).  Then there was the CDC guy who hemmed and hawed through interviews.  Now we have the news outlets acting like "it's all about the science" when just 2 weeks ago, it wasn't.  They were all reporting about Ebola practically non-stop.

One good thing that's come out of all this is that maybe the next time this happens, we'll at least know how not to react.  Maybe an actual system will be in place.

What would be even better is if Africa got its sh*t together and at least stopped eating goddammed f*cking bats and then relying on the Western world to swoop in and solve the problem.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

What would be even better is if Africa got its sh*t together and at least stopped eating goddammed f*cking bats and then relying on the Western world to swoop in and solve the problem.

I bet they still wash their hair in cow piss to color their hair, though LOL
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 2:43pm

^  And perform cunnilingus on cows to get them to lactate.

Unbelievable, isn't it?  LOL

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 2:54pm
Had I not had seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it  LOL Sick
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 10:59am
Let's get this 'bat sh*t' out of the way, right up front (when talking EBOLA):
First - read this, get smart:

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

...and now, for more information...

Ebola virus has been found in African monkeys, chimps and other nonhuman primates. A milder strain of Ebola has been discovered in monkeys and pigs in the Philippines. Marburg (NOT EBOLA)virus has been found in monkeys, chimps and fruit bats in Africa.

Transmission from animals to humans

Experts suspect that both viruses are transmitted to humans through an infected animal's bodily fluids. Examples include:
•Blood. Butchering or eating infected animals can spread the viruses. Scientists who have operated on infected animals as part of their research have also contracted the virus.
•Waste products. Tourists in certain African caves and some underground mine workers have been infected with the Marburg virus, possibly through contact with the feces or urine of infected bats.

Transmission from person to person

Infected people typically don't become contagious until they develop symptoms. Family members are often infected as they care for sick relatives or prepare the dead for burial.

Medical personnel can be infected if they don't use protective gear, such as surgical masks and gloves. Medical centers in Africa are often so poor that they must reuse needles and syringes. Some of the worst Ebola epidemics have occurred because contaminated injection equipment wasn't sterilized between uses.

There's no evidence that Ebola virus or Marburg virus can be spread via insect bites. Yet.

Risk factors
By Mayo Clinic Staff

For most people, the risk of getting Ebola or Marburg viruses (hemorrhagic fevers) is low. The risk increases if you:
•Travel to Africa. You're at increased risk if you visit or work in areas where Ebola virus or Marburg virus outbreaks have occurred.
•Conduct animal research. People are more likely to contract the Ebola or Marburg virus if they conduct animal research with monkeys imported from Africa or the Philippines.
•Provide medical or personal care. Family members are often infected as they care for sick relatives. Medical personnel also can be infected if they don't use protective gear, such as surgical masks and gloves.
(note: Anyone ever been sneezed on, or even been around someone who actually sneezed?)
•Prepare people for burial. The bodies of people who have died of Ebola or Marburg hemorrhagic fever are still contagious. Helping prepare these bodies for burial can increase your risk of developing the disease.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So....with all of the above, what can you take away from all of this?
This sh*t is going kill you - you are going to die. Accept it and shut up.
"That's the fact, Jack!"
If you follow some of the under-educated/under-informed bullsh*t being spewed in prior posts, you get to get sicker quicker - see ya later, alligator.
F**king planet is over-populated anyway...go ahead and croak...means more for me and my family. Yay!

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 1:03pm

What the hell?!  Despite the governments and aid workers in these African nations having warned about the consumption of food such as fruit bats back in March, many people, especially in the villages, continue to eat it anyway.  And it's not because they didn't know.  It's because they just didn't give a damn.

Ebola risk unheeded as Guinea's villagers keep on eating fruit bat

"Life is not easy here in the village. They [authorities and aid groups] want to ban our traditions that we have observed for generations. Animal husbandry is not widespread here because bush meat is easily available. Banning bush meat means a new way of life, which is unrealistic," said Sâa Fela Léno, who lives in Nongoha village in Guéckédou........"We will die if we must, but abandoning our traditions is out of the question. It is true that we have lost many relatives. That's fate," said Guéckédou resident Mamadi Diawara.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/aug/04/ebola-risk-guinea-fruit-bats

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:12pm
That's those African-types, I tell ya! Dress 'em up and send 'em to Amerika, and they still don't listen...

At least you see it isn't Ebola (but rather, Marburg) they're getting from fruit bats, but something VERY similar, same family of viruses, and almost as bad.

Again, before you go falling in line with the other well-meaning and clearly under-informed naysayers posting in this thread, I SERIOUSLY hope you review my initial post (2 before this one)and the link I provided...and make the CDC Link a 'FAVORITE' so you can follow the REAL 'NEWS'.
Or remain stupid and die (please).
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

At least you see it isn't Ebola (but rather, Marburg) they're getting from fruit bats, but something VERY similar, same family of viruses, and almost as bad.

Marburg is another similar disease that comes from bats, but Ebola definitely...at least according to the articles I've read.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:35pm

Again, before you go falling in line with the other well-meaning and clearly under-informed naysayers posting in this thread, I SERIOUSLY hope you review my initial post (2 before this one)and the link I provided...and make the CDC Link a 'FAVORITE' so you can follow the REAL 'NEWS'.
Or remain stupid and die (please).

Please, oh please tell me where I said something "under-informed".

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:37pm

Marburg is another similar disease that comes from bats, but Ebola definitely...at least according to the articles I've read.

Time to quit 'reading articles' written by the yellow journalists and start using that God-given skill of 'research fer yer own bad ol' knowledge', given we are talking SURVIVAL, now.
You can do this real easy from the comfort of naked in your easy chair, at the computer, or...if no computer, go to the (gasp!) library.
Or die.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:42pm

Time to quit 'reading articles' written by the yellow journalists and start using that God-given skill of 'research fer yer own bad ol' knowledge', given we are talking SURVIVAL, now.
You can do this real easy from the comfort of naked in your easy chair, at the computer, or...if no computer, go to the (gasp!) library.
Or die.

I got that info from the WHO, Scientific American and the AAAS.  Where did you get yours?

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:57pm

Or die.

I got that info from the WHO, Scientific American and the AAAS.  Where did you get yours?

Little places like the Center for Disease Control, The Mayo Clinic, and other MUCH more reputable places other than the overall, general 'Science-Be-We'-crowd.
Nope.
Keeping track of this via the 'Medical Sciences' (a leeetle more specific there, Bubba! Take a 'hint' on this one...or die - because they certainly will let you.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 3:19pm

Do I really have to, Pa?

OK, here ya go...

From the CDC's Ebola page:

Bushmeat comes from a variety of wild animals, including bats, nonhuman primates (e.g., monkeys), cane rats (grasscutters), and duiker (antelope).
It is often smoked, dried, or salted and considered a treat to some, a main food source to others
Bushmeat could be infected with germs that can cause sickness in people, including the Ebola virus. 

From the Mayo Clinic:

Ebola virus and Marburg virus live in animal hosts, and humans can contract the viruses from infected animals. After the initial transmission, the viruses can spread from person to person through contact with body fluids or contaminated needles.

And here's a more extensive article to help you in your obvious quest for knowledge, Pa:

The first known human cases of Ebola occurred in 1976 during two simultaneous outbreaks in Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo, which sickened more than 600 people, according to the World Health Organization.

Nearly 20 years later, in 2005, researchers looking for the reservoir of Ebola sampled more than 1,000 small animals in the Central African nations of Gabon and the Republic of the Congo, which have also experienced outbreaks of Ebola. They tested 679 bats, 222 birds and 129 small terrestrial vertebrates.

The only animals found to harbor the Ebola virus were bats, specifically, three species of fruit bat: The hammer-headed bat, Franquet's epauletted fruit bat, and the little collared fruit bat. [10 Deadly Diseases That Hopped Across Species]

At least two of these fruit bat species are also found in Guinea — which is where the current Ebola outbreak in West Africa began — so it's possible that these bats were sources for the outbreak, Gatherer told Live Science.

Read more:

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:20pm
The News Media is always spewing out Gloom and Doom news stories ("If it Bleeds it leads"). Dead

Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:54pm

Do I really have to, Pa?

OK, here ya go...

From the CDC's Ebola page:

Bushmeat comes from a variety of wild animals, including bats, nonhuman primates (e.g., monkeys), <span style="line-height: 1.4;">cane rats (grasscutters), and duiker (antelope).</span>
It is often smoked, dried, or salted and considered a treat to some, a main food source to others
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Bushmeat could be infected with germs that can cause sickness in people, including the Ebola virus. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/bushmeat-and-ebola.pdf
</span>

From the Mayo Clinic:

<span style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 22px;">Ebola virus and Marburg virus live in animal hosts, and humans can contract the viruses from infected animals. After the initial transmission, the viruses can spread from person to person through contact with body fluids or contaminated needles.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>

And here's a more extensive article to help you in your obvious quest for knowledge, Pa:

<p style="color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: ' sans', sans-serif; line-height: 22px;">The first known human cases of Ebola occurred in 1976 during two simultaneous outbreaks in Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo, which sickened more than 600 people, according to the World Health Organization.

<p style="color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: ' sans', sans-serif; line-height: 22px;">Nearly 20 years later, in 2005, researchers looking for the reservoir of Ebola sampled more than 1,000 small animals in the Central African nations of Gabon and the Republic of the Congo, which have also experienced outbreaks of Ebola. They tested 679 bats, 222 birds and 129 small terrestrial vertebrates.

<p style="color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: ' sans', sans-serif; line-height: 22px;">The only animals found to harbor the Ebola virus were bats, specifically, three species of fruit bat: The hammer-headed bat, Franquet's epauletted fruit bat, and the little collared fruit bat. [10 Deadly Diseases That Hopped Across Species]

<p style="color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: ' sans', sans-serif; line-height: 22px;">At least two of these fruit bat species are also found in Guinea — which is where the current Ebola outbreak in West Africa began — so it's possible that these bats were sources for the outbreak, Gatherer told Live Science.

Read more:

Yea, yea, yea...that's ALL 'Yesterday's News'...I KNEW all of that - read it all, been there, done that.
You CAN'T fool ME, doubt you could edjukate me.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic