Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's up with the History Channel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's up with the History Channel?
    Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 1:38am
I was sitting here pondering the greater questions in life...you know, like why are Grape Nuts called that when there are neither Grapes nor Nuts in them, and where do all the flies go when it gets cold, when all of a sudden it occurred to me that there are a number of shows that don't really belong on the channels that host them.

I mean, why are shows like "Ice Road Truckers," "Modern Marvels," & "Tougher in Alaska" on the History channel? It is somewhat of a welcome change from the days when The History Channel was a.k.a "The Hitler Channel" due to it's proliferation of Nazi WWII shows 24 hours a day a few years back, but still. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of keeping the Holocaust in the forefront as much as the next, er....guy, but it got a bit much!

But now what's up? I was channel surfing looking for a good lesson in Ancient History by my good friend Peter Weller or someone, and I get a bunch of roughnecks chopping trees down in Alaska followed by a show on how they make bottlecaps! What gives?
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 1:47am
ratings.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 2:25am
Most of those shows that they have on the Hitler Channel Should be on TLC, and most of the shows on TLC should be on HGTV.

I can see Modern Marvels being on the Hitler Channel though. There is a lot of historical perspective in most of the episodes.
Vlad The Impaler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 2:58am
The other thing I've noticed is if you watch the Discovery Channel, and you don't like Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, or the Deadliest Catch, you're pretty much screwed, 'cause that's all they got on there now.

Funny thing is, I USED to like those shows until they started showing them all day.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 3:40am
Vlad The Impaler

I like that nameThumbs%20Up
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 4:12am
As a friend of mine once said, "I wanted to be a history teacher, but there's no future in it."  LOL

He was dead serious too, that's what made it all the more funny.

Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 5:29am
You're right. I worked with somebody who went to college to become a history teacher, and I think it was at least 2 years before he found something.
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 6:35am
I actually used to love the History Channel the was it was, because when I was in the mood for something to feed my intellect it was there, and you knew where to find it. But now, it's changing like all the other channels are. I haven't done the research so I don't know, but does the same company own all the channels like the History channel, Discovery, TLC, TV LAND etc, cause they are all changing formats.

I was sooooooooooo pissed a few years back when Tech TV turned into G4! I mean I wanted to now how to fix my damned computer, not Muther f**king video games 24/7. Not that I am against video gaming, but why did what I liked have to be sacrificed to serve up a channel all about games??? Pisses me off!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 7:13am

The history channel used to have a better selection of shows on.  Now, I hardly ever watch it.  My schedule changes and I find that when I'm up in the early morning hours, (after the infomercials end) I'll watch it because the shows are more educational, interesting  and actually about....history!  Otherwise it's usually....boring!

nickdawg View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 8:42am
While we're on the History channel, why is the HD channel always fucked up?  First of all, the recent change in bugs/graphics is hideous.  Can the "H" be any bigger and is that red line necessary?  Then, NEW 2008 shows that are HD are shown in fucking stretchovision!!!  WHY?  WHY are shows letterbox(black space at top and bottom( AND stretched?  How cheap.  Plus it seems to be alot of the same(mostly new reality shows that do not belong there).  History Channel used to be quality.  Now it looks like they've sold out to reality crap like other networks.

Interesting.  I was watching an older Nazi show on HCI the other day and they're damn bug was annoying.  Everytime some graphic for the show came up the H bug went away then would come back.  Each time this happened, the H flashes and a red streak goes around the H.  Annoying.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 4:11pm
PBS and Discovery SCIENCE is what I have to rely on.
Wow Discovery, you had to make sure you took your name "Discovery" which used to be synonymous with science and research and now you have add "science" to the end.

Sad.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 7:10pm
History International is pretty good, they stick with history related topics at least.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 7:18pm
Yes - I tend to watch History International a LOT more than the History Channel.
For all the reasons VTI cites; seems that the Discovery Channel, being the bubblegum-for-the-brain-provider right next door to the History Channel, seems to have had a few shows they should be hosting 'spill over'...
Ice Road Truckers? Tougher In Alaska? At least they force me to go do *anything* else, when they come on...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 7:28pm
All 'specialized niche' channels have changed formats, and gone for a 'safe' schedule of repeating episodes of a tiny handful of shows. BBC America is the worst, IMO. They dropped most of their 'scripted' programming for 8000 reruns of 'Cash in the Attic', and all those 'home decorating' shows...oh, and documentaries about 'trannies', drug addicts, builmic-anorexics, and 'tranny' drug addicts with eating disorders.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 7:36pm
Yeah, History International is pretty cool. They still show "Engineering an Empire" which is one of my favorite shows. Peter Weller rocks. Anyone who abandons Hollywood to teach at Yale gets an A in my book.

I still like BBC mainly because they show Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Yes, I'm a big Gordon Ramsay fan - not the Hell's Kitchen Ramsay, in which he has become some sort of caricature of himself, but the real Gordon Ramsay who gets down to business and tells people like it is.

I stopped watching Hell's Kitchen on Day 1 when I saw virtually all the people he had to choose from were trailer trash and/or morons.
FootballFreak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootballFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 8:28pm
I've noticed that the History Channel, TLC, and the Discovery Channel have all changed alot.

TLC is now nothing but "Adoption Stories" or "The 400 Pound Women" or those stupid home makeover shows.

The Discovery Channel is nothing but Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, and Deadliest Catch. I like those shows, but not all the time.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 8:48pm
ratings

it's the answer for everything on tv.Ermm

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

ratings

it's the answer for everything on tv.Ermm

You're probably right. But why does a good thing have to be pounded into the ground until there's sh*t-all left of it? Nelson ratings or whatever probably show that people like Mythbusters & Deadliest Catch, right? So programming geniuses take this info and say "Oh, there's actually something you LIKE that we broadcast? Well, Hell, let's show it 50 times a day then!"

Not to mention the fact that now there's about 20 other copy-cat shows that try to mimic the success of 4 or 5 good shows. Now we watch those ON TOP of all the dozens of rebroadcasts of shows that USED to be decent.

Geez, just 'cause I say I like Mac & Cheese doesn't mean I want it for breakfast, lunch, & dinner. You know what I mean?
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 9:55pm
Agreed,

The sad thing is since it's ratings driven if a show dips even A LITTLE BIT they try something drastic in the storyline which ends up as stupid OR the pull it of the air for  another dumb show or reality show.

Look at ER for example it used to be an excellent show but then ratings began sliding so they took out the stops did anything to shock viewers killed off/ put the original characters out of work replaced them with less interesting ones, more stupid shootouts accidents, tragedies over and over and over again, and killed the last one with a stupid helicopter accident where a gust of wind sends it careening everywhere and off a roof RIGHT on top of him, which is f**king stupid because ANYBODY who's a professional pilot IN THEIR RIGHT MIND wouldn't risk killing themselves flying in a wind storm, it's just plain dumb, (hell they don't even allow choppers to fly in stormy weather) frankly ER seemed to turn into a bad version of a bunch Mr. Bills running a hospital, I'm frankly GLAD that ER is going of the air good riddance.

rant over.   
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 12:38am
Yeah...I lost interest in ER about 3 years ago, when Noah Wyle kept coming back for longer and longer 'guest appearances' after being 'written out' of the show.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 2:56am
Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

Yeah...I lost interest in ER about 3 years ago, when Noah Wyle kept coming back for longer and longer 'guest appearances' after being 'written out' of the show.

Yes.  Especially when they showed an hour of fighting in the Sudan.  I'm all for current events, but if I wanted to watch the news, I wouldn't be watching scripted TV programming.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 5:18am
Actually, HistInt is great as long as they keep 'The Naked Archaeologist' going, along with Peter Weller and his 'Lost Civilizations' - but, I'm REALLY looking to see if HistChan comes back with some NEW 'Cities of the Undeworld' (I LOVE THAT SERIES!)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
nickdawg View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 6:36am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

Yes.  Especially when they showed an hour of fighting in the Sudan.  I'm all for current events, but if I wanted to watch the news, I wouldn't be watching scripted TV programming.

I came back to ER in 2006.  It was getting pretty good (relative term to recent seasons, not like the original) especially with the big shootout in the season finale.  Now the shootout was a bit ridiculous.  It seemed the shooters had perfect aim for any glass surface such as windows and computer screens, but not people.   But the REAL cliffhanger was Kovach tied up with a tube in his mouth and pregnant Abby passing out in a pool of blood.   But a few episodes into the beginning of the next season it took a sh*t again and I stopped watching.  "Without a Trace" and later "Shark" were much better.

I just hope the damn show ends this year.  And it's a shame.   They could have gone out on top years ago rather than going out a pathetic has been now.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 7:20am
Yes, they are already hyping it as the last season.
nickdawg View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 7:25am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Yes, they are already hyping it as the last season.

I hope it stays that way and doesn't become like "Friends", which I think teased a final season but went another year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic