Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane News Coverage????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane News Coverage????
    Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 8:56pm
OK, we live on planet Earth, and to say that the weather is sometimes harsh would earn me the coveted "Understatement of the Year Award!" News outlets need to report these things and get the word out as accurately as they can to inform the public, so we can get the Hell out of the way before we get blown to Kingdom come. HMMMMM a hurricane??? Let's see, High winds. Lot's of rain. Storm surge. Flying debris. Did I shock any of you with my revelation of what a hurricane is??? I sincerely doubt it. So when you are watching the news and you hear someone say, "There's a hurricane coming!", you know what that means. You know what a friggin hurricane is, and you know what it does.

It never ceases to amaze me that every damned time we have one of these things, the news outlets decide to stick some idiot on the beach to "explain" to us what they see!! I am ALWAYS amazed at this!! This is how it goes:

Announcer: This is DFIN (Dumb f**k Idiot News) with Block Mudson.

BLOCK: Good evening and thank you for tuning in today for the absolute latest in Hurricane Ming the Merciless coverage. This has been one of the most devastating storm since Katrina. Authorities have issued a mandatory evacuation of the entire state, saying this storm will kill anyone who even thinks about it. NOW LET'S GO TO OUR MAN IN THE ACTION, ON THE BEACH!!!!!!! Phil Dawindansand!!

BLOCK: Phil can you tell us what's going on?

PHIL: Well Block, (screaming to be heard over the roar of the wind and struggling to hang on to a horseshoe shaped palm tree to keep from blowing away) I can tell you, it's not pleaseant! I few minutes ago I was nearly hit by an 80 story luxury resort when it was litterally ripped from it's foundation and hurled in my direction! That's it over there burried in the beach!

BLOCK: The whole entire resort almost hit you?

PHIL: YES Block!! It's kinda windy out here

BLOCK: What about the rain. How are you dealing with the rain?

PHIL: Oh I am getting.....OWWW........(get's knocked down by something)

BLOCK: Phil, are you ok??

PHIL: Yes.......Yes Block!! I just got a hit by a cat!! Let me pull it out of my ass here and will talk about the rain. OWWWWW!!!! Damn that smarts!!!.............anyway, where was I??

BLOCK: The rain Phil, you were talking about the rain!!

PHIL: Oh, yes! The rain. It's really falling out of the sky, and it's really, really, really......WET!!! I remember rain just like this when I covered Hurricane Katrina. It was really wet too!

BLOCK: So Phil, what you are saying is, you are standing on a beach in the middle of a cat 4 hurricane and it's really windy, and wet, and that you have to dodge and duck flying debris to keep from dying??

PHIL: Yes Block! That about sums it up!!

BLOCK: Thanks Phil, try to stay alive!! HAW HAW HAW HAW!! (turns to his co-anchor Hilly Bouncyboobs) You know Hilly we learn soooo much from Hurricane coverage don't we?

HILLY BOUNCYBOOBS: We certainly do Block. I mean who'da thunk it?? Wind and rain and flying debris!!
Now in other news. Do you struggle with unwanted facial hair? Well if you do, we have a new product that's simply a BUZZING success, and taking the nation by storm!! OPPS, No pun intended Phil!!!

AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
Sponsored Links

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 9:09pm
It's been raining all day here in Daytona thanks to "Go Away! Fay". The news showed some Surfers taking on the Rough surf generated by this Tropical Storm. My thoughts go out to those in brevard County (South of Daytona) Parts of that County have experienced over TWO FEET of Rain!Shocked The Local Channels here are showing NOTHING except coverage of this storm!
Poiuyt Power!!!
omegastar View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omegastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 9:11pm
Seriously. And the Weather Channel is also guilty of doing this fear mongering which the mask as "important updates of Hurricane whatever and how it is a dangerous storm yadda yadda yadda.." I've always wondered what would happen one day if Jim Cantore was in the of a hurricane explaining how no one should be out in a hurricane(Oh the irony of it all) and a flying object came out of nowhere and hit him in the balls. Well I guess that would be a good old fashioned lesson to anybody thinking of going out in a hurricane and talking about how nobody should be out during the hurricane. If no one is supposed to be out during a hurricane then why the hell are you out there hypocrites?
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 9:18pm
Thanks for bringing that up, I meant to add that in my post but I forgot too!!

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Wild Starchild Wild Starchild wrote:

Thanks for bringing that up, I meant to add that in my post but I forgot too!!

that is a priceless smiley.LOL

Funny stuff Wild Funny stuff.LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 11:50pm
They keep freaking me out, talking about how the alligators and snakes are running rampant.

~extreme willies~
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Vlad The Impaler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 2:28am
What pisses me off about hurricanes are the fact that YOU and I, yes WE ALL are paying for the homes of morons who live on the beach in hurricane territory that are threatened year after year by hurricane season. Why not build the houses further back you ask? Why should they when Papa Government foots the bill?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Insurance/story?id=94181
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 6:28am
Yeah Vlad, that is about a bunch of bullsh*t!! I hate for anyone to lose their house and stuff, but if you build on a fault line....bad decision!! Why do I have to bail your ignorant ass out of it!!! That always did piss me off!!
nickdawg View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 8:52am
It's not enough to just tell us it's windy and raining.  They have to show us too!!!   And not just one news source, but ALL of them.  There's the CNN, NBC, Weather Channel, CBS, ABC and so on all doing the typical "blown away by the wind" shot.
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 1:54pm
I ask my wife this question many times.
Why do they have to go to the site to report it?
I mean in any case?  Our local news does this with everything.
11:00 at night and some schmuck is standing in front of the capitol building under a flood light reporting something that happened earlier in the day....inside.  A stupid waste of money time and effort.  Run a stock video or put up some pics from earlier for Christ sakes.
was feeling nostalgic
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 4:15pm
ROTFLMFAO!!!! My co-worker is staring at me as if I've gone insane. Too freakin' funny, Wild! Thanks for that much needed laugh.

This storm coverage annoys me. Especially on the Weather Channel (which now, because it's being broadcast in HD, you can see every wrinkle, pock mark, ingrown hair, etc on the anchors). They just repeat the same thing over and over again.

"Coming up at the top of the hour, we'll give you the LATEST info on Hurricane Kissyourassg'bye. But right now, let's hear from our man Jim Cantore, who we all hate so much that we keep sending him out in the middle of storms but damn if that fukker doesn't keep coming back. Jim, what's going on?"

"It's raining, Alexandra. The wind's starting to pick up. We expect it to make landfall in the next 72 hours"

"Thank you for that report, Jim. Now let's talk to our hurricane expert, Dr. Steve Lyons. Steve, can you tell us what's going on?"

"It's raining, Alexandra. The wind's starting to pick up. We expect it to make landfall in the next 72 hours"

"Wow. Thank you, Steve. We'll be back after your Local On The 8's to give you the LATEST, up-to-date info on Hurricane Kissyourassg'bye. Keep it RIGHT HERE on The Weather Channel - your hurricane authority."

Wacko
Wacko

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 4:40pm

I got PCensoredd Off at the Weather Channel when I was in the Seattle area last year. A Storm System had come in off the Pacific and I wanted to know if it was going to rain all day or if it was going to clear. Unfortunately Hurricane Felix was hitting the Mexican Coast 3,000 miles away and the ONLY thing the Weather Channel showed was That Hurricane and their usual SCensoredtload of Medical Commercials for an entire hour! Never once did they show the US Map to let us know what was going on in our Country and the Local Segmant only showed the Currant Weather, no Forecast of any kind! (For the record I did experience on and off Rain Showers for the entire time I was in Seattle with partial  clearing in between the showers.) IMO TWC is WORTHLESS!Thumbs%20Down

Poiuyt Power!!!
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 5:31pm

None of the fancy or dramatized reporting they do now can compare to the Blizzard of 78.

Does anyone who grew up in the Boston area remember Shelby Scott in those days?

She was a pioneer.  All those reporters out there in the midst of the rain, hail, sleet, snow - they're just trying to copy her.

Although I did enjoy footage of Al Roker taking a massive dixie while reporting on a hurricane a few years ago.  I believe he was just fine, albeit embarrassed.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

Although I did enjoy footage of Al Roker taking a massive dixie while reporting on a hurricane a few years ago.  I believe he was just fine, albeit embarrassed.

haaa. That just reads so dirty.
Any mental  image with Roker is bad but come on!
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 10:07pm
If "dixie" means something dirty, I apologize Embarrassed

This is what I meant:

nickdawg View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

I got PCensoredd Off at the Weather Channel when I was in the Seattle area last year. A Storm System had come in off the Pacific and I wanted to know if it was going to rain all day or if it was going to clear. Unfortunately Hurricane Felix was hitting the Mexican Coast 3,000 miles away and the ONLY thing the Weather Channel showed was That Hurricane and their usual SCensoredtload of Medical Commercials for an entire hour! Never once did they show the US Map to let us know what was going on in our Country and the Local Segmant only showed the Currant Weather, no Forecast of any kind! (For the record I did experience on and off Rain Showers for the entire time I was in Seattle with partial  clearing in between the showers.) IMO TWC is WORTHLESS!Thumbs%20Down

NBC WeatherPLUS is better.  Many markets have it as a subchannel with NBC and its usually on cable.  They always show local weather conditions: five day forecast on the bottom and current temps on the left.  There's a mix of national and local weather plus a few commercials on screen, but the weather info never goes away.   I started watching NBC more b/c I used to tune to the Weather Channel around the "8s" when local cable inserts local weather info, but I always got commercials and was too pissed to wait. 

omegastar View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omegastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 12:06am
Originally posted by nickdawg nickdawg wrote:

NBC WeatherPLUS is better.  Many markets have it as a subchannel with NBC and its usually on cable.  They always show local weather conditions: five day forecast on the bottom and current temps on the left.  There's a mix of national and local weather plus a few commercials on screen, but the weather info never goes away.   I started watching NBC more b/c I used to tune to the Weather Channel around the "8s" when local cable inserts local weather info, but I always got commercials and was too pissed to wait. 
Well here's some bad news for you, NBC is buying the Weather ChannelDead
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 12:27am
don't worry they said it would operate as a separate identity out of Atlanta I think NBC Weather plus is here to stay (for now).
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 1:45am
Wonder if LL Bean is getting some kind of deal with TWC reporters wearing their gear while reporting.Tongue
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 3:47pm
Okay people. Before anyone says anything, I am NOT a heartless person. I genuinely care about people and feel sad for others' misfortune. That being said...

WTF is up with all the coverage of Hurricane Gustav? It's the lead story on all the news stations - that I can understand. But what I don't get is WHY is this the top story on my local news and I'm nowhere near where the storm hit! Last night my father wanted to watch the news and he had to sit through 10 minutes of Gustav coverage. The storm didn't turn into Katrina 2, like some thought it would, which is good. But come on, people! If we're not in the immediate area, don't devote all day coverage on a storm that probably won't even come our way. Thank you, drive through.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 5:52pm
I don't mind the over-coverage.  But once it becomes clear that the hurricane (Gustav) is NOT Katrina, how 'bout we just call it a day, guys?  As much as I'd like to see Geraldo shedding tears of compassion and love, somehow "Look guys, there's a tree down way over there!!  Pan the camera, pan the camera!!" is not a substitute.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 12:19am
Gerald was screaming, "THERE'S A GUY IN THE WATER!!!!!", over and over!!! And it was a guy in the water to do a specific job. He is such a re--- (looks over at Faith tapping her foot)---dic-u-lous......sounding person sometimes!! I saw him running around looking at stuff, and he was standing at this one place for quite a while reporting on how wet the damned water was, just talking and talking about the windy wind. Then all of a sudden as if struck by a blow from Zeus's hammer, he starts running and screaming, "we have to get outta here!! Come on!!!, Hurry, We havta go now!! Hurry, Hurry!!!" He is so over dramaitic sometimes. He should have been a damned actor instead of a newsman.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 12:37am
But ya gotta admit, when the wind knocked Al Roker down during one a few years ago, it was priceless.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 3:20am
All I can think of is in this subject is that hilarious skit from Mad TV News at Six Windstorm '97 but I can't find a video for it. Angry
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 4:40am
Watch for the new tactic used in filming storms:  Instead of risking a $50,000 portable camera, they're using video streamed in from a cell phone. Yeah, crappy jerky pics, the quality of which is about the same as a water-covered lens (noticed a lot of that lately too.  The bosses are too cheap to spring for spinner lenses.)
Oh, and the news crews are expendable.  (It's probably made very clear to them that the equipment is worth more than their careers....)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic