Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Horror Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Horror Movies
    Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 6:37pm
Since Halloween is almost here, and we were discussing horror movies in the "Geico Horror Film" thread, I thought it would be fun to bring in a new thread on this.

So... what's some of your favorite horror movies?

"Jaws" - was one of my earliest scary movies to see in the theater.

"When A Stranger Calls" - gave me the heebie jeebies for weeks. WEEKS!

"Friday the 13th" - I never even went to camp.

"Halloween" - loved it!

The artist formerly known as Madawee

Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 6:46pm
"Prince of Darkness" - came about a decade after Carpenter gave us Halloween.  Like The Thing, it wasn't about jump out to get you scares as much as it was tension and the psychological scare (though it had a few of them).

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 7:06pm

Night of the Living Dead
House of 1000 Corpses
Devil's Rejects
Last House on the Left
Andy Warhol's Frankenstein (mainly because it was in 3D)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original and remake)
Halloween
Nightmare on Elm Street

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

"Prince of Darkness" - came about a decade after Carpenter gave us Halloween.  Like The Thing, it wasn't about jump out to get you scares as much as it was tension and the psychological scare (though it had a few of them).

My father - who watched scary movies like "The Birds" with us, could never watch "Silence of the Lambs". Just scared him to the core.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 7:22pm
When I was young in the Indy area, if we stayed over at a neighbors house, it was Creature Feature, late saturday nights.

Then there was Sammy Terry, I don't know if he was a national thing, I do a good impression of his evil laugh I scare one of my wifes friend with.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 7:35pm
Though after watching more recently I realized it's not all that scary, "Poltergeist" had a huge fear impression on me, which had a lot to do with me being right around Robbie's age whenever I first saw it.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 7:40pm
Sorry if I'm going off topic, this is a scary promo I am seeing a lot.

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 7:44pm
The Exorcist.

Psycho.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 7:59pm
I read the the entire Exorcist novel the night before going to see the premier.  It was intense and I didn't think a movie could compare.

We were late to to the cinema to see the first showing, but got in line to see the second.  When the doors opened and the people came out of the theater after the first showing, I knew we were in for a thrill.  The expression on their faces was unbelievable...and when we walked into the theater, it smelled of sweat.  

It for me, it was the best scary movie of all time, although I think you had to see it early before all of the publicity.  Some of my friends saw it a few weeks later and were not as impressed.

Today, it doesn't seem the same on the small screen.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:07pm
^ Thanks for sharing your story, Hootman.  I too read the novel (but not the night before!) and waited with much anticipation for the movie to come out.  It was pretty radical for the time.  The special effects were gruesome, Mercedes McCambridge's voice, the charming little girl (in the real-life story upon which the novel was based the possessed child was a boy) played by Linda Blair was amazing.

I was taken with the story of the priests' faith and struggles as much as the demonic possession aspect of the case.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:17pm
^^ Another feather in the cap of The Exorcist is that it has one of the best theme songs for a horror.  Also, The Fog.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:19pm

^^ Another feather in the cap of The Exorcist is that it has one of the best theme songs for a horror.  Also, The Fog.

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield!  Yes, great music.  I have it on my cell phone for a ringtone.  Evil Smile
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:27pm
I still have the album.  Don't have a turntable though....:(

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:30pm
One of the things that scared the heck out of me in the Exorcist was when Linda Blair was imitating what the priest heard in the subway. I think the line was something like "Spare some change for an old Altar boy, Father?" Creeped me OUT

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I still have the album.  Don't have a turntable though....:(

Tubular Bells, what a great soundtrack.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:41pm
I don't like horror movies, so I don't have a favorite, but of the ones I've seen I guess The Shining was the scariest.

Also, there's an old b&w Vincent Price movie called The Tingler that was very macabre & quite scary.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:11pm
^^ I like or at least enjoyed most Stephen King based movies, with the exception of Sleepwalkers & maybe Pet Semetary.  Granted I like the books better in every case, but was okay with the movies for the most part, even the ones in which I read the book first.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I don't like horror movies, so I don't have a favorite, but of the ones I've seen I guess The Shining was the scariest.

Also, there's an old b&w Vincent Price movie called The Tingler that was very macabre & quite scary.

The Tingler is somewhat obscure but very good.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:37pm
Rosemary's Baby, is one of my favourites. I also fancy the famous silent flick Nosferatu!
One man gathers what another man spills
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 11:14pm

Carpenter's version of The Thing is one of my all time favorite horror movies, and Prince of Darkness is my second favorite movie of his, both because of the constantly mounting tension, and secondly for the effects.  The creature special effects in The Thing blow the CGI crap nowadays out of the water.  Pumpkinhead is also good for creature effects, and of course Alien and Aliens, but they are more sci-fi/horror.  Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are also excellent.  

Wish they still made horror movies like they did in the 80s.  Most of the time, I'd rather watch a B-movie from the 80s than I would new "horror."  One of the better movies I've seen lately was House of the Devil (2009), but of course even that one was styled after late 70s and early 80s horror.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:21am
^^ I like The Thing also.
If I watch a horror flick, I'll have a dream that night.Ouch
Anyway: Texas Chainsaw (original & remake)
Jeepers Creepers
The Fog (original version only)
The Hitcher
Duel ( Dennis Weaver) more scarey than horror

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:32am
Actually, the movie that scared me the most as a kid was "Teenagers From Outer Space".

All I remember was that the aliens had ray guns that turned humans into skeletons.  It gave me bad dreams for quite a while.  I was only 7.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

^^ I like The Thing also.
If I watch a horror flick, I'll have a dream that night.Ouch
Anyway: Texas Chainsaw (original & remake)
Jeepers Creepers
The Fog (original version only)
The Hitcher
Duel ( Dennis Weaver) more scarey than horror

Only the second movie ever directed by Steven Spielberg, too.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:43am
The first pic that gave me nightmares was The House on Haunted Hill' (original):
Got into horror flicks for quite awhile, then they just got too damned gorey ('Texas Chainsaw Massacre' was where I drew the line).
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 1:28am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

The first pic that gave me nightmares was The House on Haunted Hill' (original):
Got into horror flicks for quite awhile, then they just got too damned gorey ('Texas Chainsaw Massacre' was where I drew the line).
The old black and white horror flicks with Vincent Price, Bela Lugosi, and any Hitchcock movie are the best!  I agree that the slasher and gory movies aren't my cup of tea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic