Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tide Pods-What's your Tide?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tide Pods-What's your Tide?
    Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 8:13pm
I have never liked this idea, there were reports of children mistaking these for candy.
Now they have to throw an ethnic element into the equasion.
Please, why not co-sponsor this ad with Vonage? The lady is on the phone.
Some fancy new packaging does not impress me, I'll quit using Tide, I think their ideas suck and I can prolly find something cheaper.  AngryAngryAngryAngry 

Sponsored Links

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 9:03pm
They have these pod thingies in dishwasher machine detergent too (not Tide but Cascade, I believe).  I don't see the point in my wasting money on a fancy package that drives the price way up.  I'd just rather measure and pour liquid detergent, or squeeze my automatic dishwasher gel or liquid formula into the cup provided in the dishwasher.

I guess Tide wants us to know that people from other countries love their product too, and that it transcends generations.

I used to use Tide way back in the day, but now there are store brands and other less expensive name brands that do the job well.  I don't want to pay for a company's lame advertising when I fork over my moola for household products.
FocusedinNYC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FocusedinNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I have never liked this idea, there were reports of children mistaking these for candy.
Now they have to throw an ethnic element into the equasion.
Please, why not co-sponsor this ad with Vonage? The lady is on the phone.
Some fancy new packaging does not impress me, I'll quit using Tide, I think their ideas suck and I can prolly find something cheaper.  AngryAngryAngryAngry 

I ditto.... the more insulting "convenience" crap we buy into, the more we atrophy!  And, U bet, many products out there far cheaper and just as effective!!!!  Take charge, get them!

I include expensive, space-taking coffee making machines employing that kinda pod.  Seriously?  So not necessary, so obviously about separating malleable, silly putty humans from their money.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 11:21pm
WTF is wrong with detergent? Does measuring make your brain hurt?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
FocusedinNYC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FocusedinNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

WTF is wrong with detergent? Does measuring make your brain hurt?

It does for those who din have one to begin with.Wink  Same as boiling water and making coffee with a cone and a filter (tho I do grind my own beans, but with simple little grinder).
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 4:59am
I tried one of those promotional movie tie-in Tide packages.  It was the PoTC Captain Jack Sparrow "On Stranger Tide" Laundry Pods.
Gave up on it, though.
It made my laundry smell like a sweaty rum-soaked pirate...
purple rose View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 7:22pm
For me, these pods just aren't practical.  Am I the only one who uses different amounts of detergent depending on the size/weight of the load?  A machine full of jeans is going to need more than, say, a few delicate lady things, no?
Aside from that, this commercial is hella wrong in so many ways.  
1) If the pods are so wonderful, why wouldn't she suggest them to her mom?  My daughter will sometimes give me a suggestion about a product and it would never occur to me to take offense.
2) Lying to mom is never a good thing.
3) You're not supposed to use two capfuls of detergent.  One capful at the most.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 8:14pm

I get the 64oz, 32-load bottle of Awesome at the Dollar Tree.  I open the cap, tip the bottle over, pour it into the washing machine, and that's that.  I have no idea how much I've poured in, but it's never been a problem.

Really, these detergent companies make too big a deal out of washing clothes.  Water is 90% of what gets the job done, anyway.  It doesn't require that much thought or any expensive products.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I get the 64oz, 32-load bottle of Awesome at the Dollar Tree.  I open the cap, tip the bottle over, pour it into the washing machine, and that's that.  I have no idea how much I've poured in, but it's never been a problem.

Really, these detergent companies make too big a deal out of washing clothes.  Water is 90% of what gets the job done, anyway.  It doesn't require that much thought or any expensive products.

In the summer my weekly load is 2 pair of shorts, 6 pair of underware, 4 short sleeve shirts, 6 short socks, and 4 thin T-shirts (for sleeping) 1/2 cap is probably overkill.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 4:04am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

In the summer my weekly load is 2 pair of shorts, 6 pair of underware, 4 short sleeve shirts, 6 short socks, and 4 thin T-shirts (for sleeping) 1/2 cap is probably overkill.

Men. Wacko
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 4:14am

^ LOL

In my defense, I do separate my laundry down into 2 piles---bleach and no bleach.

Also, I scored some brand new red bath towels from my dead neighbor recently, and have had to wash those separately.  I generally avoid buying anything red, but I couldn't pass these up.  They were free.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 4:47am
I hope you have a water saver setting on your washing machine for small loads.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 4:49am

I might.  I don't know.  Doesn't matter.  I do maybe one load per week.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 4:59am
I was talking about for the red towels you do separately.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 5:02am

I've only washed them once.  Small load, cold wash-cold rinse settings.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 5:30am
The small load setting is basically the same thing as a water saver setting.

You're not filling up the entire tub just to wash a couple of towels.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 6:58am

Nope.  Always use just enough water.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 5:17pm

LOL

In my defense, I do separate my laundry down into 2 piles---bleach and no bleach.

Also, I scored some brand new red bath towels from my dead neighbor recently, and have had to wash those separately.  I generally avoid buying anything red, but I couldn't pass these up.  They were free.

You're better than me!  I'll never live down the time one one of my newish purple towels accidentally wound up in a load of whites and lights.  I kinda liked the way everything came out a soft shade of lilac but nobody else was amused.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 5:43pm

LOLYou sound like ME...except for one thing - there are 7 days in a week, why so many pairs of underwear? You CAN make them last longer, ya know.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 6:05pm
Months even!!!! ^

C'mon, man!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

LOLYou sound like ME...except for one thing - there are 7 days in a week, why so many pairs of underwear? You CAN make them last longer, ya know.

I rested on the 7th day. Read the book! My Mother always told me to wear clean underwear. "You might have an accident and end up in the ER". If I ended up in the ER the least of my concerns would be soiled underwear!!!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 7:39pm

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I rested on the 7th day. Read the book! My Mother always told me to wear clean underwear. "You might have an accident and end up in the ER". If I ended up in the ER the least of my concerns would be soiled underwear!!!
LOLLOLLOLo.k.o.k.o.k....You REALLY got me on that one, Sarge! I just don't have a 'come back' for that.LOL
By the way, *my* mom tried to teach me the same thing, but something told me if I ended up in the ER and the ol'shorts were blocking where the doctors needed to go, well...maybe I'd be better off without them...or maybe not:
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 5:11am
These "pod" things aren't even new, they had similar "pre-measured" detergent packs back in the 60's.  You learn lots of things watching old TV shows....  Tongue
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 5:26am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

These "pod" things aren't even new, they had similar "pre-measured" detergent packs back in the 60's.  You learn lots of things watching old TV shows....  Tongue

Now that you mention it,  I remember (I grew up in the 60s) they had these large tablets that weren't encased in anything so they would crumble.  I think my mom got them once and realized they were more expensive and less convenient.  
I have to say though, I do like the diswasher pods.
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 5:35am
Originally posted by purple rose purple rose wrote:

Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

These "pod" things aren't even new, they had similar "pre-measured" detergent packs back in the 60's.  You learn lots of things watching old TV shows....  Tongue

Now that you mention it,  I remember (I grew up in the 60s) they had these large tablets that weren't encased in anything so they would crumble.  I think my mom got them once and realized they were more expensive and less convenient.  
I have to say though, I do like the diswasher pods.

There was also a "pod" sort of thing for coffee back in the 70s.
A donut sized compressed ring of coffee inside a mesh bag. You took it out of the can and put it in the percolator basket.
I remember the can, but I can't remember the name, was it "Brim"?

I must admit that I use a Kuerig coffee maker every day. Since I only drink one cup (down from 2 pots in my radio days) daily, it's a lot easier for me to make and dispose of the little plastic thing at the end.
Plus, since I'm an utter cheapskate I buy the K-cups on the closeout aisle and at flea markets. It takes the per cup cost down from 50 cents to about a quarter overall.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic