Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I remember when...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 12:17am
My Corolla was pretty average...no frllls, 1600 cc's.   Brown.  Who in the hell owns a brown car?   
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

My Corolla was pretty average...no frllls, 1600 cc's.   Brown.  Who in the hell owns a brown car?   

My first Corolla was brown.

But I bought it used, so I really didn't have a choice.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 12:33am

A family I knew bought two 1976s at the same time---a brown one and a silver one.

Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 1:14am
I very well remember a headline on the cover of a Motor Trend magazine exclaiming: "The Best New Cars Under $2000"
The cars were the Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega, and AMC Gremlin.

Not sure where "Best" fit into that equation
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Neil R Neil R wrote:

I very well remember a headline on the cover of a Motor Trend magazine exclaiming: "The Best New Cars Under $2000"

VW Beetles were also advertised for $1995 around 1970.  Try finding a new one for $19,950.
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 3:31am
Originally posted by timdubya timdubya wrote:

VW Beetles were also advertised for $1995 around 1970.  Try finding a new one for $19,950.

That magazine was from 72, I wonder if VWs had crossed the $2K line by then?

My dad bought a 71 VW bus and it was something like $3200 which in retrospect seems like a lot for something that small.
In contrast we had looked at a Plymouth Satellite sedan that listed for $3500 but since it was a demo with about a thousand miles they were willing to knock $1000 off the price.

Try to get them to take a third off one of these new cars now! LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 4:12am
My 1983 Nissan pickup only cost around $3500.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 4:15am

In contrast we had looked at a Plymouth Satellite sedan that listed for $3500 but since it was a demo with about a thousand miles they were willing to knock $1000 off the price.

Try to get them to take a third off one of these new cars now! LOL

Around here, after a big gold tournament like Bay Hill, the local dealership who loans new cars to the tournament for the players & officials to drive around in for a few days, advertise them & sell them at significantly marked down prices.

Pretty good deal if you're looking for the model car that they use.

C'mon, man!
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I bought a new AMC Alliance that year and it was $8000

I would have been a lot better off buying a Nissan truck like you did, I bet it lasted more than 20K miles

About the time the AMC/Renault gave up I swapped it for a 1985 Chrysler LeBaron convertible. That stupid thing was $18,000.
For a freaking K-car!
I was all about getting a Mercury Marquis that year, but the girl I was dating kept giving me hell about wanting an "old man's car".
Granted, she had a great caboose, but I'd probably still be driving that Merc and she and the Chrysler would still just be expensive memories!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 4:42am

My folks' 64 Fairlane was $2,300, as I recall.  And their 67 Impala was $2,800.

Yes, cars were cheaper in the past.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 4:46am

I bought a new AMC Alliance that year and it was $8000

I would have been a lot better off buying a Nissan truck like you did, I bet it lasted more than 20K miles

I'm still driving it!!!! LOL

I'm not kidding.

Runs fine.

People keep asking me to sell it to them.

C'mon, man!
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 5:32am

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Do you wash your clothes down at "the crick", too?

I wish!!!

If I had a "crick" to wash them in, I'd wash myself in it, too.

You could always use the tub. I've had to do that when the washer in my apartment building breaks down. Better than walking my laundry a few miles to the laundry mat. But then again, I'm kinda lazy. I don't have a car.
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 3:05pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_(E30)

Thor, I think you paid premium.

Not seeing the price for my SR-5 on that site.  Here's what I had, though without the cool wheels:

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 3:14pm

Do you wash your clothes down at "the crick", too?

I wish!!!

If I had a "crick" to wash them in, I'd wash myself in it, too.

Might as well take a crap in there, too, ya hillbilly.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 3:27pm
My friend's dad had a Celica from around that period that I think he only paid around what you paid for yours.

And the Celica was their top of the line model back then.

Same body style as this one, but his had some kind of fancier trim package with that wood grain stuff & rally wheels, etc...

I think I remember him saying he paid around $4500 for it, which at the time, was pretty expensive for a car.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 3:30pm

Might as well take a crap in there, too, ya hillbilly.

I'd do that too.

Making sure I went downstream, of course.

C'mon, man!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 3:34pm
I remember when playground equipment was made out of metal and playgrounds were on an asphalt surface.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 3:34pm

My friend's dad had a Celica from around that period that I think he only paid around what you paid for yours.

Same body style as this one, but his had some kind of fancier trim package with that wood grain stuff & rally wheels, etc...

I think I remember him saying he paid around $4500 for it, which at the time, was pretty expensive for a car.

My older sister had a car that was the spitting image of that car, except for those cool wheels.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 2:28am

Not seeing the price for my SR-5 on that site.  Here's what I had, though without the cool wheels:

My 2003 Tacoma is an SR5, but I have never seen SR5 mentioned in any documentation of it or any online info source.  When asked what sub model version it is, no parts or auto place references SR5.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 2:29am

Celica shamelessly 'borrowed' Mustang styling.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 2:31am
Originally posted by thedude thedude wrote:

Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I remember when, cars didn't have power steering, brakes or air conditioning.

ClapLOL
Surely you mean disc brakes rather than just brakes?Confused

Ha, I remember when bicycles had drum brakes.  You know, the kind that you turned the pedals backward to put the brakes on?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 2:58am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Ha, I remember when bicycles had drum brakes.  You know, the kind that you turned the pedals backward to put the brakes on?

Those were called coaster brakes.

Drum brakes are on cars & trucks.

Usually on the rear wheels.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 10:50am
The principal principle is the same, but yes there is quite a difference compared to automotive brakes.
I just gave myself another spelling lesson. 
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 11:32am

The principal principle is the same, but yes there is quite a difference compared to automotive brakes.

It's funny that you mentioned the principle/principal thing. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I realized that there was actually two different spellings for the word. LOL

Just had never thought about it.
Principle of operation and principal of a high school. It wasn't a principle teaching in my school.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 11:38am

In the picture here what is pointed to and called a bearing is in automotive repair manuals called a race.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic