Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I remember when...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 5:23pm

But I think she observed how no one likes Stevie, and realized that's not the way she wanted to go.

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 5:58pm
Probably observed her long enough to realize that none of her other friends & people she actually likes act that way.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 10:52pm
I remember when mom or dad couldn't get in touch with us kids as there weren't any cell phones.

I remember when social media was listening to strangers on the house phone party line.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 1:06am
I remember when you didn't see or hear ANYTHING about Christmas UNTIL Thanksgiving, and if Christmas Eve was on a Sunday, you'd better have your shopping done on Saturday, as most stores would still be closed, even if it was Christmas Eve. Ditto about December 26, If Christmas was on a Saturday, you had to wait until Monday to return something.

PS On "The National Day of Insanity" Stores opened AT THEIR NORMAL TIMES.
Poiuyt Power!!!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 3:59pm
I remember when going out for pizza meant you were going to a pizza parlor.

Does anyone use "pizza parlor" anymore? Sigh... I love that old expression. I'm going to use it forever. Even though it's basically gone the way of the soda fountain. Another nostalgic favorite of mine.

The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I remember when going out for pizza meant you were going to a pizza parlor.

Does anyone use "pizza parlor" anymore? Sigh... I love that old expression. I'm going to use it forever. Even though it's basically gone the way of the soda fountain. Another nostalgic favorite of mine.

Sadly, most pizza places are walk-in or delivery only places that don't even have dining rooms anymore.

And the closest thing you'll find to a soda fountain, are these over priced, chain restaurant burger joints that have some fake 1950's theme.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:22pm

The only pizzeria I know of around here where you could buy pizza by the slice, is Sbarro's---and they're in the mall.  Not quite the pizza parlor experience.  Besides, I think they're gone now.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:24pm
We have a bunch of places that sell by the slice. Dammit, I'm going on a parlor campaign! I will bring this back into today's lexicon.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The only pizzeria I know of around here where you could buy pizza by the slice, is Sbarro's---and they're in the mall.  Not quite the pizza parlor experience.  Besides, I think they're gone now.

Sbarro's was odd. Their pizza looked like it should a been good, but it really wasn't. Had a very bland flavor as I recall.

But yeah, I think they went belly up awhile back.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:38pm

We have a bunch of places that sell by the slice. Dammit, I'm going on a parlor campaign! I will bring this back into today's lexicon.

A good pizza parlor should have red brick walls inside, or else dark wood paneling or some combination of the two. With low lighting. And dark wood booths.

Basically what the inside of Pizza Huts used to look like.

Places nowadays seem to go for wild, modern colors & chrome with blinding bright lighting.

Not a warm, inviting atmosphere to sit down & eat.

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:43pm
Every month a group of former high school alumni go to a local pizza parlor. Same one we used to go to when in high school.  Cassano's.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

A good pizza parlor should have red brick walls inside, or else dark wood paneling or some combination of the two. With low lighting. And dark wood booths.

Basically what the inside of Pizza Huts used to look like.

Places nowadays seem to go for wild, modern colors & chrome with blinding bright lighting.

Not a warm, inviting atmosphere to sit down & eat.

It's kinda like the difference between Chipotle and actual Mexican burrito places.  Chipotle offers less variety and smaller burritos, but it's got the modern steel decor and architecture which, apparently, appeals to us whities.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 5:50pm
This place has gotten many a facelift over the years, but it's been around forever. It was a staple of my childhood:

http://www.joesfleetwoodpizza.com/

Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 6:07pm

This place has gotten many a facelift over the years, but it's been around forever. It was a staple of my childhood:

http://www.joesfleetwoodpizza.com/

Believe it or not there's still a few of the classic places here in the deep South.
One of my favorites is in downtown Augusta, GA. It's called "Luigi's" and features some great pizza as well as Greek and Italian food.
It still feels like a place you'd see in the 60s with lots of booths and one of those old juke box controllers at each booth.
The juke is loaded with a lot of Sinatra and Dean Martin so it's an entertaining experience for retro kooks like me.
I wish their webpage had better pictures, at least some of the inside.

It's been a few years since I was there, with my luck they "upgraded" to the more unpleasant modern look. That's usually prompted by idiots that patronize the place complaining about it looking "dated".
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 12:15am
Pizza parlors, funeral parlors, parlor games, parlor tricks... they're all good. Smile

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 1:19am
And don't forget Paul, who was... 

...a poor little rich boy,

He never had to cry.

Whenever he complained of aches & pains

The doctors would drop by.

Now he goes to parlors

Where the prettiest girls in town

Get paid five hundred dollars

Just to kick him when he's down.

C'mon, man!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

And don't forget Paul, who was... 

...a poor little rich boy,

He never had to cry.

Whenever he complained of aches & pains

The doctors would drop by.

Now he goes to parlors

Where the prettiest girls in town

Get paid five hundred dollars

Just to kick him when he's down.

LOL  Yeah, I was going to include that kind of parlor too, but I didn't want anyone to think badly of me.  Embarrassed
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 2:23am
Hey... as long as you're not employed there... Wink

C'mon, man!
thedude View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Not in every single instance, but when kids are horrible, usually it's their parents fault.
They didn't have the heart to discipline them when they were very small and very cute.
Big mistake.
Either the heart or the interest.  In Stevie's case, her father's uninvolved and her mother's a tweaker, in and out of jail.

So I understand why she is the way she is.  Nevertheless, she's badly in need of discipline (rather than everyone just "understanding" and feeling sorry for her and trying in vain to please her).

You're totally right, but once they're 12 intimidation doesn't set them straight. It does the opposite, actually. Now, discipline doesn't have to be taught that way, but it often is. Good parents are rare enough as it is, never mind her situation! Sad to hear that, but yeah ice cream man is one cool dude! Cool (pun intended)
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 12:36pm
I remember when musicians played instruments, rather than today's favourite instrument $$$$$!
One man gathers what another man spills
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Pizza parlors, funeral parlors, parlor games, parlor tricks... they're all good. Smile

...and how could you forget ice cream parlors?  The best kind of parlor.  LOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 9:40pm

It just dawned on me that I never see those red fire alarm boxes that used to be attached to telephone poles.  You were supposed to break the little glass window and summon the fire department.

Come to think of it, I never see rungs on the side of telephone poles anymore.  How are kids supposed to climb up them now?

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 10:04pm
I remember when there was no such thing as a iPhone or smart phones!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I remember when the was no such thing as a iPhone or smart phones!

Ad, growing up, we had one phone on the wall in the kitchen.  It had a rotary dial, and I would occasionally find my granny listening in on the party line.  We had 5 numbers to dial.  The prefix was 2 letters that you didn't need to dial.

How did we ever survive?  LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:01pm

I don't know what's so appealing about constantly being "connected" and reachable.  

I used to be able to visit with people and have conversations without being constantly interrupted by someone's ringtone.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic