Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Southern Comfort-Shark (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southern Comfort-Shark (video)
    Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 1:43pm
Yikes!! This lady makes me feel uncomfortable.

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 2:07pm

Whoa!  She's pure evil.  I kinda like her.

smudge View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 4:55pm
I don't think that's a woman.
"SACRED COWS MAKE THE BEST HAMBURGER"...MARK TWAIN
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 5:06pm

^  I think she's real.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 5:13pm
She's a man eater.
DH & JO
mrjim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 7:52pm
Sometimes commercials for liquor are the best, but this one is a little strange.  Maybe it's just me, but that "woman" doesn't do anything for me.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 8:11pm
Can you imagine the scratches on your back?   Ohh...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 8:15pm
I wonder, if a cherry would bleed like that, or is it just the graphics?

LiberryGirl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiberryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 11:34pm
I just saw that one. Ew. Those nails just look nasty .
BadAd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 4:35am
I've been seeing this one in just the last few days. It's grotesque. It the advertiser wants to be perceived as edgy and dangerous, fine. But this is so off-putting I'd go out of my way to *not* buy their product.

I went out of my way to avoid State Farm because of their irritating commercials, even though I'd always had good experiences with them. Instead, I wound up dealing with Nationwide. Big mistake. 
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:13am
The chick/dude looks like a tranny with a wig.  The nails are probably real though, go figure!  Dead
BadAd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BadAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 4:13am
Is this person supposed to be someone we know? More to the advertising point, are they targeting the voodoo demographic? =
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 3:31pm

I've been wondering what happened to this commercial, so I just looked it up.  Seems Southern Comfort made it for "Shark Week" back in August, and hasn't aired it since.  Too bad.  I think it's a great commercial.

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 3:03am
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

SHE'S A MAN ,BABY!!!! Oh behave!
One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 3:40am

No way.  That's a woman.  The name of the actress is a mystery, but here's a description of the person they were seeking for the role.  From the Southern Comfort casting page:

Shark Bite Casting Brief

WOMAN (MAIN TALENT)
30 to 35 (or 5 years either way if the person is bang on)
This woman should feel real. She is not an “actress,” she is this woman. She is non-Caucasian but can be of any other ethnicity. She is confident. She could feel like a young badass, maybe even a little dangerous, but kind. She’s not just a one-dimensional hot babe they put in a typical liquor ad. She might not be the most beautiful girl in the room, but how she carries herself is striking. She has stacks of charisma, she’s a one off, an individual. She has a certain eccentricity, an otherness about her. She’s a non-conformist but not deliberately so. She buys a dress because she genuinely loves it-not because fashion tells her to or she’s fighting against ‘the norm’. She’s definitely not trying too hard to be different or trying to make a statement /30-35
She has that thing, an animal magnetism that draws you to her.

And she has something a little interesting about her – it could be her looks, her hair or just her general demeanour. She isn’t someone you would conventionally think is amazing until you take a second look.

EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 5:17am
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

SHE'S A MAN ,BABY!!!! Oh behave!

She does look ambiguously androgenous.  Pat from SNL, except black and angry instead of white and goofy.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

No way.  That's a woman.  The name of the actress is a mystery, but here's a description of the person they were seeking for the role.  From the Southern Comfort casting page:

<span style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Shark Bite Casting Brief</span><br style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;"><br style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;"><span style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">WOMAN (MAIN TALENT)</span><br style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;"><span style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">30 to 35 (or 5 years either way if the person is bang on)</span><br style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;"><span style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">This woman should feel real. She is not an “actress,” she is this woman. She is non-Caucasian but can be of any other ethnicity. She is confident. She could feel like a young badass, maybe even a little dangerous, but kind. She’s not just a one-dimensional hot babe they put in a typical liquor ad. She might not be the most beautiful girl in the room, but how she carries herself is striking. She has stacks of charisma, she’s a one off, an individual. She has a certain eccentricity, an otherness about her. She’s a non-conformist but not deliberately so. She buys a dress because she genuinely loves it-not because fashion tells her to or she’s fighting against ‘the norm’. She’s definitely not trying too hard to be different or trying to make a statement /30-35</span><br style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;"><span style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">She has that thing, an animal magnetism that draws you to her.</span><br style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;"><br style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;"><span style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">And she has something a little interesting about her – it could be her looks, her hair or just her general demeanour. She isn’t someone you would conventionally think is amazing until you take a second look.</span>
<span style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">http://www.tobeseen.co.uk/jobs/Casting-Call-for-Actors-Southern-Comfort-Commercials?id=13203
</span>

Very good, Thor.....nicely done!
Btw, my last post was just a little comical (Austin Powers) take on the discussion.
The lady is a bit scary, though.....not my slice of Stilton, if you will ;)
One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 3:36pm

Yeah, she's kinda scary, but definitely not a man.  I think she's just a lotta woman.  I love the "deer caught in headlights" look on the guy in the background who spots her from across the room.

This commercial will be among my favorites of all time---right up there with some of the Heineken ads, the old Gap ads from the 90s, the Dollar Shave Club ads, the Poo-Pourri commercial and maybe a few others.  Outstanding, in my opinion.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 3:53pm
All I see lately is the dumb bartender one.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 3:58pm

Yeah, this one only aired during "Sharknado" month.  Note the shark motif on her fingernails.  But it's not so obvious a reference that they can't trot it back out at any time.  I'm hoping they do.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 4:18pm
Good commercial, but I can't imagine any commercial no matter how catchy & well done, increasing the number of people who drink Southern Comfort.

Blecch!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Good commercial, but I can't imagine any commercial no matter how catchy & well done, increasing the number of people who drink Southern Comfort.

Blecch!!!

Well, it's got me at least thinking about taking up the bottle.  I'd probably buy generic, though.  Is there a "Great Value" version of SC?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Well, it's got me at least thinking about taking up the bottle.  I'd probably buy generic, though.  Is there a "Great Value" version of SC?

Doubtful. But either way, stay away from any version of it. Has a sickly sweet taste to it.

If you want to try a cocktail that is downright lip-smacking good, try some Jack Daniel's & Coke.

No diet Coke either. Regular Coke.

You can try it for next to nothing, too. Pick up one of those little miniatures & a can of Coke. Mix to taste.

Amazingly good!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 5:05pm
Never added anything to Jack but ice.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 5:08pm
Jack Daniels is the only liquor I know of that actually tastes good by itself. There is something in that stuff that gives it a flavor that no other whiskey has. Really is the top of the line.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic