Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - It's actually harder to be a singer nowadays....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's actually harder to be a singer nowadays....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Donathan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's actually harder to be a singer nowadays....
    Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 1:50pm
Think about it. Current singers are usually harshly compared to generations that came at least a generation before them..... There was a time when a singer was only compared to themselves and wasn't following any bar. For example, Billie Holiday was considered a great singer in her own rights and not being compared to a bunch of other artists.

Nowadays, for example, Rihanna is being harshly compared to say, Whitney Houston who was old enough to be her mother. It's "Whitney Houston was a magnificent, luminous, soul-stirring songbird and Rihanna is highly manufactured, autotuned crap."

It's harder to be taken seriously as a singer now. Even a recent singer who actually does sing very well, like Adele was compared to Mariah Carey. There are really no more "Wow, that singer is really unique and original," for current and recent singers anymore.
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 2:49pm
Why hasn't Rolling Stone magazine hired you as a writer?  Sandeara. 
The insight and depth, I so admire you.
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 3:45pm
Kendra LOVES music.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Sandra Sandra wrote:

...Adele was compared to Mariah Carey...

Nothing personal against Mariah as a person.  She seems like a nice enough person, but I hate her singing style.  
She ruined music for generations to come as every upcoming singer attempts to replicate her fluttering all over the musical scale.  She never sticks to the melody of the song.

Much like the original vocalists of a hit song when they get old and tired of singing their song for the millionth time and try to "mix it up". Dead  Just sing the song the way it was written!

Karen Carpenter, if anyone, is someone singers should be emulating.
She sang like a real woman.  She could sing full and strong, but also could switch it up with soft and gentle.  Most importantly, she stuck to the melody.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

She never sticks to the melody of the song.

I don't think a lot of the songs those singers sing really have much of a melody.  I don't think that with Mariah et al, it's even supposed to be about the song.  It's supposed to be about the vocal gymnastics.  Melody is secondary, if at all.  Maybe they think that melody gets in the way.

Sandra View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Donathan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 9:33pm
Mariah Carey's Vision Of Love is still amazing.I think when she started singing in that whisper soft singing style is when she turned off a lot of fans.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

She never sticks to the melody of the song.

I don't think that with Mariah et al, it's even supposed to be about the song.  It's supposed to be about the vocal gymnastics. 

I see what you're saying about that group of singers, but really, that was my point.
Singing isn't at all about vocal gymnastics.  It's about telling a story in a believable way.
This is how a song best moves people.

For me, even Richard Harris' MacArthur Park is done better than Mariah type singers.
Even though his voice wasn't that great. Believe me, I know that this is a greatly derided song, but I think that his acting chops adds to the story telling aspect of it. Albeit a touch over the top. LOL

Karen Carpenter was good at it and Agnetha Fältskog (the blonde of ABBA) was very good at it even with her Germanic type accent. LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 11:11pm
Madonna was a great singer in her prime, too. Sang the songs with emotion & feeling without showing off. Too bad her flakey persona overshadowed her music.

But I think Thor was right about singers like Houston & those who came along after her. They were practically yodellers.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sandra View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Donathan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 11:21pm
Whitney Houston was not a yodeller. Most of her songs were in the lower range, like the sensual "You Give Good Love," the only songs that were fast was "I'm Your Baby Tonight," "My Name Is Not Susan," and "Queen Of The Night."
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 6:58pm
...ahhhh...here we go with Slutney Houston, once again.
Sometimes you have to look back - to wonder who inspired those that have followed.
What do you think about Millie Small? She had quite a voice - probably inspired Houston a bit. And what about You?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Sandra Sandra wrote:

Whitney Houston was not a yodeller. Most of her songs were in the lower range, like the sensual "You Give Good Love," the only songs that were fast was "I'm Your Baby Tonight," "My Name Is Not Susan," and "Queen Of The Night."

EQUALS

PLUS

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 8:32pm
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 8:33pm
Actually I think people are even less judgmental about music than they've ever been. That, or the top-40 sheeple zombies are an extremely loud minority.

Yes, it's harder to be taken seriously as a singer now, but that's because so many artists cheat and take shortcuts (ie. Youtube, auto-tune, etc.) that it's hard to pick out the genuine articles from the frauds, so it's easier to assume everyone is!!!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 9:46pm
Did anyone else notice the "sensual"? XD
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 9:53pm

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

What do you think about Millie Small?

Cute as a button.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

What do you think about Millie Small?

Cute as a button.

yup.
(yea, I'm back on a highly-secured machine, but the more current pic of Mille is worth the look and she's actually trying to get a new music deal now)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JTQYMQ7NL.jpg
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 9:45pm
Kendrathan - I am currently attempting to make a living in the music business - as a singer! I'm sure it will come as a huge surprise to everyone else here that you have no clue what the f*ck you are talking about. LOL
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

Kendrathan - I am currently attempting to make a living in the music business - as a singer! I'm sure it will come as a huge surprise to everyone else here that you have no clue what the f*ck you are talking about. LOL

VIDEO PLEASE!!!!!!

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 10:22pm

LOLLOLLOL
There are 2 mysterious Sandys on the board.
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 10:24pm
^^ I lost it at "Kendrathan" LOL LOL
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 4:35pm
Here ya go Jimbo - it's the only one I have so far. It's not perfect, but I'm hopefully getting better! Whenever I get nervous my throat constricts so I am figuring out ways to not be that way before performing... LOL

"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:07pm
^^ Very good!! Clap  Especially with the vibrato - you add just enough of it without overdoing/over exaggerating it.

I wish I had a good singing voice - I can sing on key and can harmonize so I could do backup, but would never cut it as a lead vocalist.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:39pm
Thanks insanity! Yeah, I always watch the vibrato - glad you think I don't overdo it. It drives me bonkers when I think someone does.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:58pm
Actually, to slightly agree with the point of this topic, there's the interesting anecdote that comes with Alison Moyet's last album.

She'd basically reached the age where her record company only wanted her to do covers and classic songs. When she came to them with the idea for the album she wanted to do, they turned it down, so she gathered her friends in the business and put the album together on their own, and then presented the finished work to the record company. It ended up doing famously and the tour following it already has been extended more than a few times.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 11:19pm

Here ya go Jimbo - it's the only one I have so far. It's not perfect, but I'm hopefully getting better! Whenever I get nervous my throat constricts so I am figuring out ways to not be that way before performing... LOL

Cool!! Can't wait to hear you belt one out Linda Ronstadt style!!!

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic