Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Target's dancing dipsh*ts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Target's dancing dipsh*ts.
    Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 6:32pm

I'm sorry to say it girls, but it's this kind of behavior that makes guys prefer hanging around with their buddies.

Whereas this one on the other hand is actually pretty cool.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 6:52pm
As far as dance commercials, I always liked this one:

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 6:56pm
You actually liked that???????????? Shocked Confused

Yuck.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 7:09pm
Personally, I always like "The Freddie".
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 7:12pm
And let's not forget

"The Mashed Potato"

"The Frug"

& of course, "The Watusi".

C'mon, man!
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 8:19pm
Sorry, I actually like this Target ad.  It's lighthearted and fun.
Love endures all.
TWCFan View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWCFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 8:38pm
So Target keep churning commercials every day and they capitalize on how a talentless group of brothers ruined Hello Goodbye.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Personally, I always like "The Freddie".

Oh, Lord!  LOL

Presenting...the Freddie!!

And, what the heck.  How about Soupy Sales' Do the Mouse (starts at about 3:15)?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 8:41pm
The Mashed Potato "is no longer available", Jimbo.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 11:30pm
I like that Target ad for some reason.
I feel like I should hate it.
I hated that one car ad where the weird girl pops and locks while her friend drives. Remember that horrible ad?
Dave Chappelle did a bit on it. It was brilliant.
msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 4:29am
Don't all of you dance around your dorm when you decorate?  Hmmm.  I thought we dance then have a pillow fight.  I usually just don't get that excited while decorating.  Must be meWink
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 5:24am
As I said, I just can't help myself.  The music is catchy and the energy between the two dancers is contagious.  I just find myself smiling along, and occasionally saying "whoop-whoop."

It's official, I'm nutz.
Love endures all.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 12:24am
The thing I don't like about it is that it just seems like they're trying to represent these two as average girls acting like average girls when in fact average girls rarely if ever act anything like that.

It's like some out of touch person's idea of what a couple of typical average young college girls would be doing in their dorm room.

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 12:45am
Jimbo,

Didn't realize you were in touch with typical young college girls.  Wink
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 1:01am
Believe it or not, I've known a few in my time.

Of course, that was way back when I was a typical young college guy.

I don't think any of the ones I knew ever decorated their apartments while having a dance-off.

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 1:13am
My daughter graduated from college this year.  When she was a freshman, I couldn't believe the effort she and her roommate went through to decorate their dorm room.

I don't believe they danced, but it sure wasn't like my dorm room 38 years ago nor the girls' rooms I was able to get into.
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 1:15am
You're right, Jimbo; the ad is totally unrealistic.  My upbeat reaction to it is one of those inexplicable acts of nature (aka, a brain fart).  Embarrassed
Love endures all.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 1:19am
The only decoration I had in my dorm room was a black light poster that I'd had since the 9th grade. No black light, though.  Couldn't afford one.  I did, however, have some red plastic gel that I inserted into the overhead light "globe".  It turned the room red, such that the red on my Marlboro pack (as well as any other red in the room) sort of disappeared, while blues and greens turned almost black. 

But still, I wonder:  why the hell are people spending all this money at Target to decorate their dorm rooms?  Isn't college expensive enough?

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 2:27am
Oh yeah....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 2:41am
Originally posted by LOL1955 LOL1955 wrote:

You're right, Jimbo; the ad is totally unrealistic.  My upbeat reaction to it is one of those inexplicable acts of nature (aka, a brain fart).  Embarrassed

Well, people like or dislike things for different reasons. And I'm sure that you & I are drawing on different backgrounds to shade the way we see things.

To each their own. Wink

C'mon, man!
promontorium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote promontorium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 3:26am
I actually like dancing. It's certainly not the "thinking man's activity" in fact insects dance, but it's a positive method of releasing energy and communicating physically without negative reperucussions (for the most part). So I don't automatically hate a commercial because it has dancing in it. If the commercial has nothing to do with the product, I'd probably not be happy about it. But in this instance, they were dancing, and moving in all their awesome furniture they bought at Target.

I do agree with one thing, I hate it when women go to clubs and only dance with their girlfriends. Why are you there if you don't want to be around other people? You went to the loudest, crowdest, booziest, musiciust (?), hook-upiest place on Earth to dance with the friend you came in with?  Get out. Seriously, you're taking up floor space. The only way to snag a group of girls is to get all of them. And I've pulled the groups before, but it's usually too much work and pays off little.  Now that I think about it, those girls were dancing together in their own rooms. I suppose that's what I wanted. Nevermind I love this commercial.

I love commercials, for the most part.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I'm sorry to say it girls, but it's this kind of behavior that makes guys prefer hanging around with their buddies.

Whereas this one on the other hand is actually pretty cool.

I HATE THIS FUKING COMMERCIAL! That music (in whatever language it is) is the most annoying crap used in an ad toady.

I hit the mute button immediately when I see these two little twits gyrating about.
One man gathers what another man spills
jppuertorico85 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 5:14am
I actually like that commercial...maybe its my age (i'm 23) but that song "calabria" was one of the hot club songs in the beginning of the summer and dancing in that style has become VERY popular w/ shows like "So you think you can dance" and mtv's "Best dance crew", and all the movies like "Step it up" etc... so target is just capitalizing on what is popular right now in the age group they're marketing to- college students.  Just youtube "dance off" and you'll see how many videos there are where average joes have actually recorded themselves dancing against others in a very "bring it on" or "drumline" sort of way, but just dancing.

Those girls have some awesome dance moves :)
Is visa really the only card accepted at [INSERT ANY SPORTING EVENT]???
jppuertorico85 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 5:37am
Just look at what these girls did in their spare time in the living room to the same song "Calabria"  And this vid is from march, before the target ad started appearing.

Remember, girls just wanna have fun right?  and isnt dancing fun? lol

Sorry i'm not as good w/ the computer as others i dont know how to make the video appear in the posting!

Is visa really the only card accepted at [INSERT ANY SPORTING EVENT]???
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 5:42am
Well, I don't question your assessment of Target's motives, etc. & everyone is entitled to their opinion. Different people have different tastes, etc. etc. & you're certainly entitled to yours

But I'm sorry, those so-called "dance moves" (jerking around) the bony white girl is doing just look spastic. She's all arms & elbows & knees. She looks like a stork who ate poison berries.

Everything about her is annoying. The other girl isn't bad, but it looks like they're kind of highlighting the white girl because she seems to be in the foreground the most & she seems to be doing the most jerking around.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic