Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anti smoking commercials

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anti smoking commercials
    Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 5:55pm
I can't find videos for them, but these anti-smoking commercials are grossing me out. I understand that they're using scare tactics to get people to quit, but its a bit offensive. First that started with people showing their amputee missing body parts due to complications with smoking, and scars from surgery, etc. Now they have a guy that says he got gum disease from tobacco and shows his mostly toothless mouth.

Ugh.

They also have a new one with a woman talking about her premature baby because she smoked during pregnancy. She looks and sounds like she was smoking something other than tobacco.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Sponsored Links

LiberryGirl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiberryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 5:59pm
These are terrible and the toothless man grosses me out. The baby one is just sad.
Event Horizon View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Event Horizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 2:11am
The first time I saw that one with the throat cancer lady, Terry I think, I had fallen asleep on the couch and woke up scared to death at like 2 am because there's this picture of this lady talking though a box in her throat.  Quite horrifying under the wrong circumstances, which it was at that time. 
TheNilvarg View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheNilvarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 12:50am
Better quit smoking, then, or you'll see these commercials every time you look in the mirror.
Sandra View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Donathan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 2:29am
The Terrie ads were particularly heartbreaking. Not only did she die at a relatively young age, (53), she was beautiful as a young woman before her smoking got really bad. At 51, she looked much older. Sad what decades of smoking can do to you.
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 2:31am
I see these ads and think, I won't smoke! I never intended to smoke in the first place! Please do not show anymore of these like the dude with the hole in his neck!
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
bandit View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 2:52am
Somewhat in the same vein.  In h.s. (many years ago) this was the theme of a film shown.  I mean graphic - like showing lung surgery.

Many left the room, some seemed about to faint.  One guy got dizzy, fell, and his his head.

Still, not sure if these prevent or lessen smoking.
LeeboKC View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeboKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 3:21am
This is one that made me jump off the couch... love the sound effect.

So glad I quit almost nine years ago. Of course it took a heart attack to finally convince me.
Didn't lose my teeth though. Stern Smile
deacon blues View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deacon blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 6:04am
It's not cigarettes those people were smoking. They all look more like Meth-heads
deacon blues View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deacon blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 6:05am
She would have to be smoking like 8 packs a day to get like that. Please don't tell me you fall for this crap
BowlingGeek View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BowlingGeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 8:02pm
As a non smoker some of these ads make me sick but at the same time if it gets people to quit I'm all for it. 

I highly doubt the people in these commercials are meth heads, I had 2 relatives die from slow painful deaths who smoked 1-2 packs a day, these commercials are a harsh reality for smokers who rather say smoking is harmless. 
Roflcash4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roflcash4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 9:53pm
They need to quit with the anti-smoking commercials. This is America, we have the freedom to smoke! If people want to smoke, let them smoke. Everyone knows how bad it is, it even says on the pack. Plus, tobacco is a very large industry that employs a lot of hard-working people. I don't smoke but if anybody does, that's their choice, and these commercials aren't going to make them want to stop or influence them not to smoke. If they want kids not to smoke they should, get a not so annoying celebrity or pro athlete endorsement and quit with the lame commercials.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 10:07pm
^True, it says it right there in the constitution. The right to suck on butts for pleasure.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

^True, it says it right there in the constitution. The right to suck on butts for pleasure.

I think that's the disclaimer you sign when you hit the VIP lounge at the VA VA VA-VOOM lounge.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by BowlingGeek BowlingGeek wrote:

As a non smoker some of these ads make me sick but at the same time if it gets people to quit I'm all for it. 

I highly doubt the people in these commercials are meth heads, I had 2 relatives die from slow painful deaths who smoked 1-2 packs a day, these commercials are a harsh reality for smokers who rather say smoking is harmless. 

But these commercials have rather the opposite effect. Grossing me out or trying to make me feel bad for the big face lady about her baby just pisses me off.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 11:17pm
I smoked 3 packs a day for 15 years.  I couldn't imagine not having a cigarette.  But when my 5 year old son said, "please don't smoke daddy!"...I quit.  Haven't had one in 29 years.  
ALE515 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALE515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 3:06am
I'm gonna gross you out even more. When I lived in NYC, we had to see commercials like this CONSTANTLY!

This one just breaks me heart...
grewupinwrongera View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grewupinwrongera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 5:24am
The Terrie Hall ones are downright scary, disturbing, and annoying. 

Terrie Hall is dead, she died last year and she must have signed an agreement to continue airing commercials of her even after she died. 

There are newer ones now of her in an AWFUL dying state at the age of 53. These were filmed literally days before she died. She looks like a cross between ET and Sara Goldfarb after she lost her mind at the psych ward in Requiem For A Dream.

Not only are they invading the television, they are invading our internet!

Woke up half asleep to check an email when on the side of my email page is Terrie Hall, staring me in the face with a grim death look and bald lying there on the hospital bed. I nearly sh*t myself and was scared to even use the bathroom.

I understand the point of the ad campaign but they took it TOO far with this garbage. If people want to smoke they will. List the negative effects on the cig carton and if someone is dumb enough to smoke it then so be it. 

STOP INVADING OUR LIVES WITH THIS GARBAGE
Miseryguts View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 4:22pm
I was sitting in front of the box last night watching an old "Ancient Aliens" show when one of these commercials popped up. This one was about a man whose teeth had fallen out of his head because of his smoking habit. He proceeded to remove his dentures then he smiled. I almost spat my tea and biscuits across the room. Awful. 
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Miseryguts Miseryguts wrote:

I was sitting in front of the box last night watching an old "Ancient Aliens" show when one of these commercials popped up. This one was about a man whose teeth had fallen out of his head because of his smoking habit. He proceeded to remove his dentures then he smiled. I almost spat my tea and biscuits across the room. Awful. 

That one grosses me out. But I've been bombarded by the one with "Amanda", the woman that sounds like shes high, talking about her baby being premature because she smoked. In the last half hour I've seen it three times.

This will sound mean, but its reached the point where I'll say it. I don't give a crap about Amanda and her baby. I don't even feel bad about her or the baby. I want her to go away.

That was the nicest way I could say it.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 8:46pm
Didn't some jury down in Florida just award 23 BILLION (not million) to some widow who claimed her husband could not quit smoking? Even with lung cancer he smoked until the day he died.

Here's the story:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28389273

I think it's a little overkill on the punitive damages.

I guess the next heavyset person who can't resist a donut will now sue Krispy Crème and Dunkin... ?

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:11pm
^^ Apparently she claims the company never informed him nor did he have any way of knowing the health risks until he was already addicted and unable to quit.  Riddle me this ... he smoked for 23 years, died in 1996 at age 36, meaning he was born in 1960 and begin smoking in 1973.  Surgeon General's Warnings have been mandatory since the mid 60's.  He was unaware of the consequences exactly HOW?  I guess he spent his years bumming cigarettes off people and never buying his own packs.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:17pm
I could see them giving her something - but 23 BILLION? I mean really... it's not going to bring him back. An exhorbitant fee just to make a statement.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:23pm
Sounds like the jury consisted of all militant nonsmokers out to bankrupt RJ Reynolds.  Speaking of, I wonder if their brands are gonna skyrocket in price, and if so would Phillip Morris hike their prices too?

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:33pm
Didn't Reynolds and Lorimar just merge?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic