Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Oh boy. Just what we need. Another singing show.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oh boy. Just what we need. Another singing show.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh boy. Just what we need. Another singing show.
    Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 10:55pm
I wanna see one of these "talented" singers come up with their own songs instead of piggybacking on famous singers!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Part of what annoys me is that so little of it seems authentic.  They seem like they're not really rock or country (or whatever) singers; they're just mimicking them---dressing up like them, doing a country or rock song, etc.  It all seems so vapid.  They might even have good voices, but it doesn't matter to me.  It just all seems too fake and manufactured and cheesy and groomed...and, at best, destined for Las Vegas or Branson, MO.

Singing "talent" is almost never authentic these days.  It's all ruined by auto-tune which makes everything sound the same!
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Yeah, the entire music scene has become nothing more than shiny packaging. Music is just another mass produced product.

"Hey there modern music consumer!!! Be sure to take your pick from one of our many interesting styles!!! There's sure to be something there to satisfy every family member's taste!!! Mix 'n match too!!! Collect them all"

You just described an "I Heart Radio" commercial I've been seeing!

They brag about how you can create your own playlist and such!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 3:48pm
Yeah, the entire music scene has become nothing more than shiny packaging. Music is just another mass produced product.

"Hey there modern music consumer!!! Be sure to take your pick from one of our many interesting styles!!! There's sure to be something there to satisfy every family member's taste!!! Mix 'n match too!!! Collect them all"

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 2:44pm

I wonder how many songs of the current era will be seen as iconic twenty or fifty years from now.  So much of it is bubblegum---designed for adolescent girls---and rarely does such music ever matter in the long run.  Rap songs are usually forgotten pretty quickly (who listens to 80s rap anymore?).  And rock and roll has to be searched for on the 'net, it's lost so much popularity (except for when Glee does Journey covers).  Then there's country.  When Taylor Swift is seen as a country artist, who the hell knows what country even is anymore?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 2:20pm
Actually, I think that's basically what a lot of the old time, pre-rock era singers did.

It wasn't until the 60's & 70's that the singer/songwriter became popular. This I think, lead to the notion of them being "soulful, expressive artists" who could not only sing, but had something heartfelt to say as well.

While at the same time, becoming mega wealthy & famous of course.

But I think the wealth & fame were something that was seen as less of a motivating factor than it is today. Nowadays with so many performers, especially these talent show types, wealth & celebrity seem to not only be the main objective, but the sole objective.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 2:08pm

Part of what annoys me is that so little of it seems authentic.  They seem like they're not really rock or country (or whatever) singers; they're just mimicking them---dressing up like them, doing a country or rock song, etc.  It all seems so vapid.  They might even have good voices, but it doesn't matter to me.  It just all seems too fake and manufactured and cheesy and groomed...and, at best, destined for Las Vegas or Branson, MO.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 12:56pm
People, especially young people, are such mindless lemmings.

Every new fad that comes along they all have to jump on the band wagon & be a part of it.

Twitter couldn't be a more appropriate name, since it is mainly used by twits.

C'mon, man!
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 5:33am
There was a big uproar during last season of The Voice, when they extended the "Twitter instant save" (already bad enough as show timing heavily favored the East Coast) all the way to the semifinal stage. A Twitter and Youtube favorite (Christina Grimmie) was failing badly on iTunes and suddenly magically made it in, causing many to suspect social media abuse.

I can easily see many opportunities for error if they go full-on social media, should be fun to see the upcoming implosion. Hopefully it serves as a reminder that forcing Twitter on everything just isn't the answer every time!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 5:14am
I figure almost all of these "talent" shows are rigged anyways.  And I'd probably even watch one if the studio audience could throw tomatoes at the contestants....  LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 5:23pm
I'm just sick & tired of having some a-hole singing & dancing in my face every time I freakin turn around.

"Look at me, everybody.... look at me!!!! Love me!!! Make me rich & famous!!!!"

Just shut up already, dammit!!!!!

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 5:19pm
I'm so sick of singing contests - we need something different.
Maybe like, ohhhh..."Who Wants To Join The Vienna Boys' Choir'?"
This would be a male-only show where contestants have their nuts tied down with rubber bands and forced to sing Jersey Boys songs
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 4:49pm
There's pretty much only one singing show I've ever liked and regularly watched.

It's a Korean show called "Immortal Song" (Actually, Immortal Song 2, but let's not get tit-picky)

Basically, they get a group of contemporary singers from groups, bands, actresses, etc. (Keep in mind this is Korea where it's pretty much mandatory that every celebrity be multi-talented) and select one older singer (Anywhere from 10 to 50 years ago) and all these real singers have to compose and perform their own renditions of that singer's songs, then the audience votes the best re-imagining.

It's great because you don't get any of the amateurish crap, and there's actually none of that super-emotional breakdowns and "I NEED THIS SHOW SO BADLY!!!!". It's basically just a friendly fun competition with some really amazing music. It's really wonderful to hear a 70's folk song re-imagined into a powerful dance song or a heavy rock ballad, etc. And since they're dealing with real musicians there's so much more...

But honestly, I dislike the amateur shows, not just because you get 80% crap with a few good voices, but because I hate all the emotion and people having a dream ripped out of their hands even if their rendition was musically superior to others. Musical talent doesn't matter as much as popularity on those shows and that's what makes them unwatchable.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 4:40pm
They showed a snippet on the news today of some longish shaggy haired kid (age 20) who is from the NY area.

Um, the dude could freaking SING!

I don't watch these shows but I do give credit where credit is due.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 8:10pm
Great! I got hit with an ad for this stupid show, while waiting for Ke$ha's Tik Tok to load. Just to remind myself how sh*tty her "music" is.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 7:36pm
Yup - lost 30 seconds of my life to one of these commercials.
I promise I will never watch it.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 7:23pm
So sick of the promos of this show. They're finding new ways involve the audience in the show. Great! So twittering numbskulls can get involved in choosing an artist. Wasn't The Voice enough for you idiots? Why do we need another singing show?

Also Ke$ha? how the freak is she an expert for good music? her songs SUCK!
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 6:51pm
I was just bitching about this to my husband.  These stupid singing shows and the stupid restaurant shows.  There's a restaurant show called Hungry Investors that features chef John Besh.  I really like his show on PBS, but now that I know he is doing this stupid a$$ show, SMH.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 6:49pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 6:46pm
I think I saw a promo for this, more American Idol like BS.  I think they are getting audience members even more involved through social media.   Hate it!!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 6:28pm
Say it ain't so!!!! Yet another crappy singing competition show is airing tonight. 

ABC's "Rising Star" is the latest turd in the punch bowl of American television, that only serves to reinforce the notion that Hollywood is either no longer willing or able to produce actual TV shows & has instead, resorted to the mindless slop of "reality" shows & singing competitions.

Whether or not this is because they understand the idiot mentality of the current American viewing audience, or they know these shows are cheap to produce, but make tons of money for them or if they've just run out of ideas, is hard to say.

But it sure as hell doesn't bode well for the future of the medium in this country.

The panel of "experts" (not judges) includes rapper-turned-actor Ludacris, Kesha, Brad Paisley & Josh Groban.

Shame about Brad Paisley being a part of this crap. Always kinda liked him, but will find it hard to respect him after this. Stick to making music, you idiot. It's not like you aren't rich enough already.

Blecch. Sick

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic