Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I officially DO NOT GET the Staples Easy Button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I officially DO NOT GET the Staples Easy Button.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I officially DO NOT GET the Staples Easy Button.
    Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 3:17pm
You know, this one is too weird.  I thought so when I first saw this campaign (and I searched and can't pull up any older topics on here about it, so here goes...)

You can actually BUY those buttons at Staples.   What is pressing the easy button supposed to accomplish?  I think the idea is how easy it is to get good prices right?  But if you buy one...what does it DO?  What's the point?

Every time I've seen one of these ads I've been more perplexed by what exactly they are trying to make come across.  Some of the newer ones show them pushing the button in other places and it doesn't work for them...something about "only at Staples."  Okay, so that makes it look even more useless.

It just seems like they threw in this really pointless prop to make a very obscure reference, IMO.
Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 3:20pm
Staples SELLS those "Easy" buttons???
I guess you could rig it somehow to work in the game of Trouble if your pop-o-matic should fail.
Other than that, as useless as the Pet Rock.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 4:29pm
They do sell them.  They are purely decorative (although they make a clicking sound - if you have a need for that then they they have a purpose).
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 7:00pm
I get the ad; now if I could only GET RID OF IT!  LOL
Love endures all.
Grafton View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grafton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 7:27pm
they also say "that was easy" when you press them
Meh...
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 7:58pm
I have one.EmbarrassedLOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 8:04pm
Ad Nauseous, next time you have $4.99 burning a hole in your pocket, why not donate to CIH?

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 8:26pm
Now I know what to get the in-laws for Christmas! I'd love to see the expression on their faces if I actually had the gonads to go through with it.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 8:36pm
I have one that's Spanish. It says "Asi de facil". I think it's funny.

Also I don't know why the forum decided this post needed to be in italics.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I have one.EmbarrassedLOL
*I* WANT ONE!!!! They're NEAT and cost less than that CIH COFFEE MUG that I'm being forced to purchase (we gotta support 'home' dontcha know)!Tongue

psssttt...Nathan...we got coffee mugs, yet?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
jppuertorico85 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 8:54pm
wait, i've seen them in english but they sell them in spanish too???  wow...i'd love to know how many of them have actually been purchased LOL
Is visa really the only card accepted at [INSERT ANY SPORTING EVENT]???
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 8:57pm
Oh my god...now I really don't get all this!!! Confused
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by jppuertorico85 jppuertorico85 wrote:

wait, i've seen them in english but they sell them in spanish too???  wow...i'd love to know how many of them have actually been purchased LOL
I want a 'BENGALI' or 'KASHMIRI'-version button!!!!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
sodiumcrapolate View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sodiumcrapolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 10:13pm
Hey, don't knock it, those things really work...
I hid one of those "easy buttons" in a whore house for six months.
When I brought it home, I pushed the button and wouldn't you know it; it started raining whores. Now I can't get rid of them. I am really beside myself, and don't know what to do. Don't they sell an "easy out" button?

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 10:15pm
The Staples here closed in 2005, replaced by a Best Buy, so no easy button here.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 12:49am
Originally posted by sodiumcrapolate sodiumcrapolate wrote:

Hey, don't knock it, those things really work...
I hid one of those "easy buttons" in a whore house for six months.
When I brought it home, I pushed the button and wouldn't you know it; it started raining whores. Now I can't get rid of them. I am really beside myself, and don't know what to do. Don't they sell an "easy out" button?

LOL
promontorium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote promontorium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 3:44am
You know what's funny? I actually made my own "easy button" on my ship about a year ago. I had it in our workspace and I put a little post-it underneath reading "I don't care". When things were getting stressful or someone wanted something done I'd just start hitting the button and pointing to it.  People got carried away with it, and we had to put it away.

I think the point was to make manifest the concept of Staples being a solution to your office supply needs. That you can literally take that concept to your office and put it on display seems like good marketing.

I love commercials, for the most part.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 4:20am
I'm waiting for the "That was stupid!" buttons to come out.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 5:42am
I think it's funny.  But then, I glued a "duh" key to my keyboard!

B.the1st, do you really not get it?  Because I will explain it, but don't laugh at me if you're pulling my leg and I'm being all nice and everything . . .

The button supposedly works at Staples, by making the prices lower.  So when a person has an Easy Button with her anywhere else, and someone tells her the price of whatever she's buying, she hits the Easy Button, hoping the price will be reduced.  But "It doesn't work here" (because it's NOT Staples).

Now?
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 2:31pm
Thanks FaithFS, for being so nice and helpful, Smile  but I pretty much got that.  What bugs me is that it's awkward.  It's this bizarre little button that has the IMAGE of being useless when you press it.  It's an odd "hook" in my opinion.  I've seen other variations in banks and such, that play "I'm So Excited" and crap like that depending on the promotion, but like I said, it's a...BUTTON that when pressed really accomplishes not a darned thing.  And like I did say earlier, when pressed elsewhere obviously it doesn't work because it's not at Staples but so what?  It doesn't "work" AT Staples either!  You don't need to press a button for their prices, you know what I mean?  It just seems like a waste of commercial time (and it not working in other stores in the commercials gives negative imagery in a way, I think.)

Although perhaps I'm letting this hurt me way too deeply. Ermm

Wink
Chcuk E View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chcuk E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 9:09pm
I have one and they're great for 2 or 3 year olds for about 5 minutes. I don't even mind hearing it when the toy box gets moved and it goes off.  If it's in sight I'll hit it after I find something I'm looking for or when the mood strikes me.
omegastar View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omegastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I'm waiting for the "That was stupid!" buttons to come out.
Staples Easy Button:That was stupid!Wink
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 9:24pm
nah how about

"That was Cheesy" LOL
jon1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 4:16am

Does anyone remember the idiotic "Genuity Black Rocket" ad campaign? (google it if you don't) - it was very similar in its use of an object (the all-too-mysterious "black rocket" that stopped people in their tracks and obviously had some sort of mystic yet unexplained powers) that really had no function whatsoever. (The commercials also totally failed to explain what the product actually was. It was some sort of internet platform system or something. Who the hell knew??)

I'd love to think that every time one presses an "Easy" button, it kills off another dumb Staples clerk, lol.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 4:22am
Yes I remember that one, it was some invention or innovation company that did it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic