Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracy Morgan... the next RIP thread?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tracy Morgan... the next RIP thread?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 2:25pm
Just heard that Tracy Morgan, the former SNL cast member who went on to basically play himself as the character "Tracy Jordan" on the show 30 Rock, was involved in a serious multiple car accident in NJ, in which the limo van he was riding in was rear-ended by a semi truck on the NJ Turnpike.

Reports are that he is in critical condition in the hospital. Another passenger in the van, one of Morgan's writers, was killed in the crash.

Best of luck for a speedy & thorough recovery!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 2:34pm

Luckily, he's not in "grave condition".  I haven't heard any word on the nature of his injuries, though.  Hopefully, they're the kind he can fully recover from (as opposed to such things as brain or spinal injuries).

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 2:39pm
I just read an article that said he was inside the wreckage, screaming for help.

Doesn't sound like he's in grave danger of dying, but one can never tell.

And as you said, he might have suffered debilitating injuries.

I wonder if he or his friend who died were wearing their seat belts.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 2:42pm

Never been on a bus that had seat belts.  Then again, I've never been on a tour bus.

edit:  Ahh!  The internet has everything.  Even stuff that I'll forget in 5 minutes.  Apparently, it became law in 2013 that new tour buses will have to have seat belts.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 3:18pm
All true I'm sure, but he was in a passenger van, not a bus.

And of course, all passenger vans are equipped with seat belts.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 3:41pm

I see it being called both a tour bus and a limo bus, but the picture looks like that of a large van---apparently, a Mercedes.  

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 4:09pm
Just saw the photos...looks like one of those Mercedes Party Vans - and it got whacked good and proper. Hope those folks that can pull through do. Wonder what was going on in the trucker's mind?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 4:14pm
I think I read that he had started dozing off.

Tried to swerve at the last second, but clipped the rear corner of the van & sent it spinning, after which it hit another vehicle.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 5:18pm

That's why truckers should be allowed to use crystal meth.  In fact, it should be mandatory.  They should have to go for weekly drug testing.  And if it comes up negative---license revoked!!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 5:29pm
I heard six (6) vehicles were involved, but the rear of his van appeared to have been a custom job by 'Peterbuilt'.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 5:34pm

The Jersey Turnpike's a bitch.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 10:45pm
I was watching this thing called Signal 30 made by the Ohio State Troopers.
It was actually made, some in 1959 and some in 1963.
Signal 30 is a traffic fatality. (for those whom didn't already know)

One was of a tractor trailer rear ending a car.  It wasn't pretty, it basically ran over the car.
I'm assuming Tracy Morgan was traveling in and extended SUV limo.

I think that there are truckers out there that are becoming very irresponsible about the amount of following distance they allow themselves.
I personally have experience driving yellow school bus type vehicles.   I always left very long stopping distances in front of me.

You can't treat a tractor trailer like a Porsche.  There are far too many roll overs on exit ramps.

Obviously the majority of truck drivers are responsible drivers or this would be a daily occurrence, but the ones that aren't need to get a grip.

I have a tractor trailer simulator game I bought for fun.   It is amazing how hard it is to stop one of those things.   

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Never been on a bus that had seat belts.  Then again, I've never been on a tour bus.

edit:  Ahh!  The internet has everything.  Even stuff that I'll forget in 5 minutes.  Apparently, it became law in 2013 that new tour buses will have to have seat belts.

I don't know what took them so long.  Airliners are buses with wings and they've had them forever.
Let's face it, they are going to do the passenger a lot more good on a bus than on a plane in a crash.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 10:57pm
I had a wreck a few months after I got my license in 1968.  I had to go to traffic school and we watched "Signal 30".   Pretty damn gruesome.  Probably ought to show that kind of stuff to kids today.  Heck, they could watch it on their phones while the were driving!  Wink
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 1:43am
Even though I don't like him, I hope he pulls through. It would be a big loss if he dies.

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 1:58am
I just watched a tribute to Don Rickles on cable.  Tracy was a participant and had very nice things to say and also some very funny things to say.  Never been a big fan in the past, but he seemed to have settled down some.  Hope he recovers as well. 
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 3:13am
That news broke my heart. He is such a funny guy.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 3:21am
Films like Signal 30 & Mechanized Death were required viewing in driver's ed class when I was in high school.

I remember a car vs semi truck crash in one of the films we saw, but what happened in this one was, the driver of the car dosed off & ran up underneath the semi from behind.

Nasty result.

C'mon, man!
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 3:26am
I had heard that the truck driver in this case dozed, but I believe that he was arrested.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 4:40am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I have a tractor trailer simulator game I bought for fun.   It is amazing how hard it is to stop one of those things.

Isn't that called "Grand Theft Auto 15:  Route 187" ? Heard the soundtrack was done by Alice Cooper ("Under My Wheels"....  LOL)
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 6:24am
^Wasn't there a secret mini-game where you can get a lapdance from one of your five sisters?
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 7:58am
I'm not a fan either but I hope all involved have a speedy recovery. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Films like Signal 30 & Mechanized Death were required viewing in driver's ed class when I was in high school.

I remember a car vs semi truck crash in one of the films we saw, but what happened in this one was, the driver of the car dosed off & ran up underneath the semi from behind.

Nasty result.

I recall one called "Red Asphalt", too.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't know what took them so long.  Airliners are buses with wings and they've had them forever.
Let's face it, they are going to do the passenger a lot more good on a bus than on a plane in a crash.

Regular transit buses could never have them, as they'd never be able to take into account all the people standing in the aisles.  The buses I rode in SF were often so crowded that even the steps were packed with people.  Of course, with all that human cushioning, no one's going to get hurt too badly in an accident.  

A few times, when a bus I was riding would get so crowded and the bus driver kept packing more people in, I'd yell "C'mon, busdriver!  Women are getting pregnant back here!"

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I just watched a tribute to Don Rickles on cable.  Tracy was a participant and had very nice things to say and also some very funny things to say.  Never been a big fan in the past, but he seemed to have settled down some.  Hope he recovers as well. 

I saw that tribute (birthday?) too. That was hilarious.

I heard Tracy broke his leg, nose, some ribs. He was being operated on today for the leg injury. Sad..

The truck driver had posted some Twitter thing about "It's my road, get out of my way" making him look like areal douche. I don't know when that was tweeted (could have been moths ago for all I know) but being an aggressive a-hole tractor trailer driver probably doesn't bode well.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic