Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Olympic Oreo Commercial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olympic Oreo Commercial
    Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 2:41am

So there's this commercial playing during the olympics that has a little girl with long curly red hair sitting on a train eating an oreo...she looks out the window and sees a little oriental girl doing the same thing <gasp!>

So then the 2 begin to mimic each other's movements, even down to taunting each other, when the red haired girl turns to her mom to get her to look at the oriental girl, but alas, the train is pulling away.  The mom just shakes her head at the daughter and goes back to reading or book or something....

So what are we to make of this stupid commercial!!!  It reaks of the whole "east meets west" that has been done to death over the last 100 years of pop culture!  Like, should we be surprised that oriental children like cookies just as much as anglo children?  Or should we think its cute that the anglo girl found this to be surprising?  Its like Oreo was like, "hmm, what are the oldest stereotypes about china that we can dig up for this commercial?  Oh I know, the whole China as an enigma works..only guess what, Chinese people are people just like Westerners!!" 

Gag me!!!  Disapprove

Is visa really the only card accepted at [INSERT ANY SPORTING EVENT]???
Sponsored Links

redruM13xx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redruM13xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 3:41am
I don't know what we're supposed to make of it, but I want to bitch-slap the little red-haired brat.
Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 4:13am
Is it because "Oh lol, the parent didn't see the thing the kid saw"
jppuertorico85 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 4:40am
its so ridiculous...whatever they want us to take away from it LOL
demo1118 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo1118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 7:16am
The point of the commercial is that even though we are separated by borders and oceans and distinct in ethnicity we are, in fact, all the same.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 9:28am
oh please like i need a cookie commercial 2 tell me that!
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 9:59am
Originally posted by jppuertorico85 jppuertorico85 wrote:

...a little oriental girl doing the same thing...

Grandma?
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by demo1118 demo1118 wrote:

The point of the commercial is that even though we are separated by borders and oceans and distinct in ethnicity we are, in fact, all the same.

Nah, not all of us.  I hate Oreos. Wink  

Really though, I do.  As a friend used to say, "they're too much work."
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 7:27pm
You know...if oreos are that powerful to unite the world and erase differences between cultures maybe we should air drop a bunch of cases of them in iraq, palestine and israel, afghanistan, russia and georgia, etc.   lol
danooct1 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danooct1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 8:15pm
Oh my god. I had not seen this commercial, and I started reading this thread. JUST AS I WAS ABOUT DONE, this commercial came on. That was god awful.

The Proud, the Few, the Kids who eat oreos on trains that are of different ethnicites but are used to learn lessons about life.
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!
athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 12:42am
What's the opposite commercial in china?  A Chinese girl eating noodles and whoa!! a nice American ginger kid pulls up and she's eating noodles too!!  So Chinese girl turns to Chinese mommy to show her the American girl and alas, she's gone.
Embarrassed
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 1:46am
Originally posted by athomas917 athomas917 wrote:

What's the opposite commercial in china?  A Chinese girl eating noodles and whoa!! a nice American ginger kid pulls up and she's eating noodles too!!  So Chinese girl turns to Chinese mommy to show her the American girl and alas, she's gone.
Embarrassed

LOL...very funny!
demo1118 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo1118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 2:54pm
Why look at it as just a cookie commercial?

I seriously doubt the point they were trying to make was that Oreo's would save to world and unite us all. And if you look at it that way, you are just retarded.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 4:23pm

Well, we're not.  They eat dogs.  We don't.  That makes us distinctly not all the same.

demo1118 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo1118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 9:23am
They aren't the only country who does. What makes it so different from eating cow, pig, turkey, sheep, chicken, etc.

I mean I couldn't see myself eating it and I think it's horrible because in America it has been accepted that dog eating is wrong and we become attached to dogs, but I eat dead animal as well.
IHaveStandards View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHaveStandards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 2:30pm

If I'm forced to choose, I'll take dog over rat snacks. Check it out.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080813162159.bj5c5chl&show_article=1

And I thought India was an ally.
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 7:40pm
Found it. Matter of fact, Oreo has its own YouTube channel. LOL

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 2:00am

I seriously doubt the point they were trying to make was that Oreo's would save to world and unite us all. And if you look at it that way, you are just retarded.

Because its not "just a cookie commercial".  They are playing this commercial during the very hotly debated Beijing China Olympic games...you know why people are so upset over these olympics?  Because China is communist (our opposite as a democratic republic), China has a horrible human rights record, and for the most part of the country the people live the way they have lived for generations w/ very little change or outside influence from the rest of the world; so China is still a great enigma to the West...

That said, oreo throws this commercial on w/ a Western, Anglo girl and an Eastern, Asian girl both sharing a moment over cookies.  GASP!  Cookies bring these two very different girls from two very different parts of the world together.

So its not just a cookie commercial...not like the oreo commercials where the grandparents teach their kids how to eat oreos or something.  This one is trying to speak to the bigger political and cultural differences that are being manifest as the whole entire world is peering in on the mysterious China for the 1st time in a very long time!
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 5:25am
I'll take it over the creepy "goodnight dad" dripping noise computer predator web cam oreo commercial or the old ladies licking creme ones.
But yeah, give it up Oreos, don't try and rape me with "cuteness".
If one wanted to split hairs one could say it reinforces the ignorance of Americans in custom and cuisine. How the girl is so "overwhelmed and scared" of the loud alien practices and movements with crowds and noodle eating. "NOT NOODLE EATING HELP ME MOMMA! Oh wait another little girl and SHE is eating my same American ICON! China is ok after all..."
Hellivision View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellivision Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 12:32am
Read closely, this commercial is in fact Oreo's ominous warning that China is poised to win the train race for world domination. Chinese youth has assimilated Western ways and their train has already left the station while America's children stare in helpless disbelief and America's parents disregard the warning signs.
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

Originally posted by jppuertorico85 jppuertorico85 wrote:

...a little oriental girl doing the same thing...

Grandma?

XD
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 10:16pm
I'd like to know how these little girls managed to get Oreos served to them on a tray, with a glass of milk emblazoned with the "Oreo" logo, all before the trains have even left the station.
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 10:29pm

Really Really Bad Choice Of Words Awards 2008
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 3:28am
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

I'd like to know how these little girls managed to get Oreos served to them on a tray, with a glass of milk emblazoned with the "Oreo" logo, all before the trains have even left the station.

LOL...good point Nathan! 
anankha View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anankha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 2:50am
You know what I hate? That god-awful "Oriental" music they play. They play that for every country in East Asia. Japan, China, Korea, etc. They assume that they're all the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic