Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wanting PBS movie recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wanting PBS movie recommendations
    Posted: 24 May 2014 at 2:06am
I watch a lot of Masterpiece Mystery, British movies and shows. Right now, I have watched a re-watched the small collection I have to the point of knowing what a character says before they say it. I need some new stuff!

Just saw an ad for a PBS movie, Any Human Heart, from 2011 starring Jim Broadbent, Matthew MacFayden, etc. It is a multiple part TV show. I just wondered if anyone had seen it. My sorry-ass PBS station hasn't didn't ever show it. Is it good enough to buy it?

Any other really good suggestions would be appreciated. I see or buy most of the very popular programs but some of the smaller, more obscure stuff isn't shown here on my PBS.

Thanks
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 2:26am
I saw it & enjoyed it. 

Here's a trailer for it.

You might be able to find it for free online somewhere.

Maybe on PBS.org website.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 2:41am
I'm checking on all ITV, BBC, and Channel 4 movies released since 2012 and most are not on Amazon. They might be on some of the legal streaming sites like Hulu, but I think for some of the really good recent stuff you'll have to resort to torrenting or other methods.

I think PBS is having a harder time buying stuff to syndicate because there's some new contracts and stuff going on with the BBC and BBC Worldwide.

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 3:10am
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

I'm checking on all ITV, BBC, and Channel 4 movies released since 2012 and most are not on Amazon. They might be on some of the legal streaming sites like Hulu, but I think for some of the really good recent stuff you'll have to resort to torrenting or other methods.

I think PBS is having a harder time buying stuff to syndicate because there's some new contracts and stuff going on with the BBC and BBC Worldwide.

This was from 2011.

It was pretty good as I recall.

Nice Sunday night viewing.

C'mon, man!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 4:28am
lost most of my pre 2011 stuff in the hard drive crash.

Among some of the good ones this year alone, there's several terrific three parters:

The 7.39
The Widower
And Jamaica Inn.

I'm going to get started on "Prey" next, which stars John Simm from Life on Mars.

In 2013
Death Comes To Pemberley was pretty good, a 3 parter based of a novel written by some woman taking place after Pride and Prejudice.

From 2011-2012 there was a drama (two series of 4 episodes each) called "The Young Doctor's Journal" starring Danial Radcliffe and John Hamm. Covered Morphine addiction and a lot of interesting elements. Beautifully acted and put together. Worth a look.

As far as movies go:

We had some good historicals out. Einstein and Eddington (2008), Christopher and His Kind (2011), Toast, and Loving Miss Hatto (2012).

If you want something scary, there's The Tractate Middoth (2013) and The Thirteenth Tale (2014) with Vanessa Redgrave and Olivia Colman.

If you also want some series, we have Vera just finishing up Series 4 (4 episodes total). It's a bit along the lines of Midsomer.

In the Flesh had a three episode series 1, and series 2 is currently airing on Sundays (up to Episode 4, I think). It's a very interesting zombie show that focuses on the lives in this town as family members who died in 2009, came back to life as zombies, were taken to treatment facilities and treated with special drugs to return them to a lucid conscious state are being re-introduced into normal life. The first series is more simple, while series 2 seems to be bringing in a bit of a supernatural mystery to it.

Also, there are quite a few really good Australian shows that we don't really get imported to America. A few I'd recommend are "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" "Gods of Wheat Street" and "The Doctor Blake Mysteries"

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 1:00pm
My favorite remains the 'Game, Set, and Match' series, based off of Len Deighton's trilogy.
It is easy to fall into and hard to break away from, but lengthy - it was turned into 13-episode series for Vincent Price's farewell from 'Mystery'. Ian Holm plays the role of Bernard Sampson.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 1:02pm
We were getting a good Australian cop show here for awhile called East West 101.

It was kinda like The Shield.

That sort of "feel", except instead of Los Angeles, it's set in Sydney.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0907831/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_West_101

C'mon, man!
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 4:41am
Out of all of those you all have mentioned there only a couple that I have seen either on TV or because I bought them.

I love Vera and bought the first 3 DVDs. F*cking local PBS has never shown any of them. Death Comes to Pemberley is mentioned on the National website but our station doesn't have in on schedule and I will see it one way or another.

I will look into some of your recommendations cause I really need some fresh stuff.

I do have the Case Histories 2 and Endeavour 2 on pre-order with Amazon.

It is absolutely not going to happen but the Zen series a couple of years ago just might be my favorite mystery from Masterpiece. I found out that they were done by the same production company as Wallander which I also love. Zen was excellent casting, filmed in Italy, sexy, just a really watchable series. They won't do any more of those because it was so expensive to film. Too bad.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 6:07am
I got all tied up in 'Livingston's Lost Diary', tonight.
It's a new episode of 'Secrets of the Dead' - a fascinating PBS series that has been running about 14 years, now.   
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 6:13am
^I'll look it up and see if I can buy it or watch it. It has never been on my PBS station. My station just finished their Spring campaign for money and last 3 night they have been showing repeats of Michael Palin's trips to other countries. Luckily, Charlie Rose and Newshour and some others I watch are back on track.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 6:31am
^It's historical documentaries about events most people are probably aware of, but now and then, a really great episode will come on.
One of *my* favorites is about Col. Fawcett, who disappeared in the Amazon about 100 years ago. He believed in some things way out in 'left field'...but now, with 'google earth', some of his wild beliefs are being found to have some 'feet'.
http://www.thirteen.org/programs/secrets-of-the-dead/lost-in-the-amazon/
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 8:05pm
^It's not on PBS but that reminds me of this comedy that has played a couple of seasons called "Drunk History." It's kind of a under the radar show but they have well-known comedians/actors in each episode. The one about the Kellogg brothers would have made you spit the milk (on your cereal) out of your mouth

Here's their website:

http://www.cc.com/shows/drunk-history
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 4:47am
Okay, just watched the first part of The Escape Artist and it is pretty good. However, I hope they clear up something that I see as a gaping hole in the plot: why would this guy kill his wife and stalk Sophie O. when he got him acquitted and she got him out on bail? It is definitely not what he is known for being a murderer for.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 5:20am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Okay, just watched the first part of The Escape Artist and it is pretty good. However, I hope they clear up something that I see as a gaping hole in the plot: why would this guy kill his wife and stalk Sophie O. when he got him acquitted and she got him out on bail? It is definitely not what he is known for being a murderer for.

Could be some kind of red herring.

Maybe he actually DIDN'T kill those two women,

What bugs me about these kinds of shows, are things like... why, after she saw him looking at her through the bathroom window as she was in the tub, did she & the kid stay in the (typical) secluded country cottage???? (And why do they always live in these kinds of secluded places to begin with???) 

Why did Will allow them to stay there alone after that first incident???

Another thing that got me was when he approached Maggie, as she was inexplicably walking alone on a dark street, he yells after her "Don't be alone!!!"... then allows her to walk away.... ALONE!!! Confused

Dumbass. 

And of course, after she gets back to her building & the super mentions something about a "friend" having visited, when she was expecting no friend & so became very suspicious... why did she go back into her apartment alone?????

DUUUUHHHHH!!!!! Stern Smile

Sadly, even characters on Brit TV do stupid crap.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic