Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mother's Day flowers = yawwwwwwn No vid yet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mother's Day flowers = yawwwwwwn No vid yet
    Posted: 06 May 2014 at 5:02am
I didn't post a video, because I don't even remember what product this is for--this one so fills me with rage, I don't notice what they're selling. It's in slow motion, showing three different women receiving flowers, and at first the expression on their faces seem to be open mouthed excitement---and then it turns into a big yawn, implying that flowers for Mother's Day are borrrrrrriiiiiing. Really?? Someone went out of their way to get you flowers, and you yawn in their face?? You're lucky to get ANYTHING, you ungrateful b*tch!! The way I was raised, even if the gift wasn't the most awesome thing in the world, you show appreciation for the gesture and effort--after all, the giver was thinking about you when they bought something. Jeez, I know someone who got a roll of toilet paper from their crazy aunt at Christmas, and his attitude was "Hey, it's a useful gift!" Boy was raised RIGHT. If the adtards thought this one was supposed to be funny, I just don't think there is anything amusing about atrocious manners. OK...rant over.
Braaaandy Aaaaalexaaaaaander!
Sponsored Links

Anna View Drop Down
Spammer to be deleted
Spammer to be deleted

Banned - Report post for deletion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 12:28pm
Roll of toilet paper for Christmas? I am not a Princess, but even I'd be pissed if I got a roll of toilet paper for Christmas.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 2:01pm

It's for Edible Arrangements.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 4:26pm
That brings back memories of that heinous E-Bay (or Amazon?) commercial with the spoiled tweenie brat chastising her family's gift ideas in the theme of 12 Days of Christmas.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 6:29pm
I'm still trying to figure out how a corny gift idea like fruit is any less boring than flowers?
Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Anna Anna wrote:

Roll of toilet paper for Christmas? I am not a Princess, but even I'd be pissed if I got a roll of toilet paper for Christmas.

You would have to have met his aunt...I think that sort of thing was expected from her. One of his siblings got a dollar, and someone else got a set of sheets with baboons on them, or something. She's 'special'    Provided their family with a lot of stories!
Anna View Drop Down
Spammer to be deleted
Spammer to be deleted

Banned - Report post for deletion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 4:12am
So, when you say,"Crazy" Aunt, she was more of the eccentric kind of crazy, the one who's actually kind of fun to be around, the kind who tells everyone they look marvelous, and not the really crazy aunt who talks to people who aren't there?
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 2:42pm

I remember when I was eleven or twelve, I purchased for my stepmother Karen a Christmas gift which was a toilet seat cover that read:

"WELCOME TO OUR OOL"

"Notice that there's no P in it. Please keep it that way."

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 2:44pm

Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how a corny gift idea like fruit is any less boring than flowers?

I see on their website that the sort of arrangement shown in the commercials costs from $69 to $133.  Wow.  For maybe a pound or two of very common fruit and a few strawberries dipped in chocolate.  And kale!  Kale??  Yeah, that's what everyone wants to snack on---glorified cabbage.

A fool and his money...

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Whitedog127 Whitedog127 wrote:

You would have to have met his aunt...I think that sort of thing was expected from her. One of his siblings got a dollar, and someone else got a set of sheets with baboons on them, or something. She's 'special'    Provided their family with a lot of stories!

My Grandmother always gave very odd goofy gifts and as soon as she left, we would be rolling on the floor about them. What the hell, it added to the festivities. And my parents would have given us knuckle sandwiches if we ever said anything mean about ANY gift we received. If we really didn't like something we would ask to exchange it.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 2:56pm

I remember one Christmas, my childless aunt and uncle gave out fingernail clippers to all the kids gathered at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

Another year, they gave out old silver dollars.  I might still have mine.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 3:11pm
Re: the point made in the OP about the atrocious lack of manners it would require to yawn in someone's face at a rather expensive gift they'd just gotten you, unfortunately, that is the generally accepted attitude the greed merchants have successfully brainwashed the current generation of good little consumerbots into adopting.

If you're not 100% ecstatic over the gift you are entitled by birth & your very world-enhancing existence to, let the giver of the offensive insult know it in no uncertain terms, so that next time, maybe they will be wise enough to purchase something worthy of you.

But then again, flowers are kind of lame if you're not in the hospital, getting married or being buried.

A nice living plant in an interesting pot would make a much better gift.

A few years ago for Christmas, I got my mom a (will fill in name of plant when I remember it) in a clay pot that was made to look like it was cracked & had a big lizard crawling thru the crack.

She seemed to like it, but unfortunately a couple of years later, the pot blew over in the wind & broke in several pieces.

I have them in a box & might put it back together some day.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 3:19pm

I've glued clay pots back together.  It works.

I'd only give someone a house plant if they already had some house plants.  If they do not have any house plants, there's probably a good reason---they either don't want them, or they don't tend to them.

I have about 7.  Only about 3 of them do I even really want.  My ficus tree is one I never really wanted.  They're too sensitive and require too much space (and it better be the right sort of space, or they'll let you know).  Nevertheless, I've kept it now for 12 years.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 3:55pm
Bromeliad, dammit!!!

That was the name of the plant that I got my mom, but couldn't remember.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 4:03pm

Nice.  My house plants are the ficus tree, palms, dracena, pothos, schefflera---nothing that flowers.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 4:58pm
Bromeliads do well in shaded areas plus, they self propagate.
Start out with one & in a few years, you have several.

I think that colored bloom only happens once per plant, but because new plants keep appearing, you get the blooms every year.

C'mon, man!
Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 12:24am

So, when you say,"Crazy" Aunt, she was more of the eccentric kind of crazy, the one who's actually kind of fun to be around, the kind who tells everyone they look marvelous, and not the really crazy aunt who talks to people who aren't there?

No, crazy as in odd..not 'lock her up, she's a danger to others' crazy, but definitely a strange bird.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 12:28am
How big do they get, Jimbo?

Need something hardy for my terrarium. The Celosia is just not agreeing with...something.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 1:59am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Need something hardy for my terrarium. The Celosia is just not agreeing with...something.

I guess it depends on the growing conditions.

I'd say anaverage height is about 12" to 18"

They can spread out though.

Might not be right for a small, confined space.

C'mon, man!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:24am
did some research and they react very badly to pruning too.

Spread isn't too bad with some plants 'cause it's easy to prune and shape them.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Pothos is probably the easiest houseplant to take care of.  It's a vine, and no doubt you've seen them.  Just get a clipping and put it in a jar of water and it'll grow---eventually all around the terrarium (if that's what you want).  I've had some in jars of water for 8 years.  They never seem to die.

Just make sure it's not toxic to your critters.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:33am
I've got Pothos growing in my backyard on the ground & on my fence.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:39am

Too bad it's not these pot hos.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:41am
They wouldn't be outside in my back yard, on the ground & on the fence.

And I wouldn't be sitting here posting online right now either.

C'mon, man!
catnapped View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 4:50pm
Apparently they're not satisfied with the negative response so now even birthday flowers suck too (there's a commercial for that)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic