Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goodbye Flo!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traxan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye Flo!
    Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:24am
Finally rid of that unfunny bitch.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-alderman/go-with-the-flo---or-mayb_b_5085168.html

And by Flo, we're talking about the Flo of the Progressive Insurance ads, the lady with the white-tunic wardrobe, uber-eye liner, mega-cherry lips and what looks like borrowed hair. If you're one of 3.3 percent of American households who do not have a TV, you are either in a monastery, a Luddite or way too self-sufficient. It is advised that you stop reading now while you still can avoid this subject.

However, the rest of us have to deal with Flo. Why? Because no matter how many times we're at the fridge during commercial breaks, we cannot avoid her, thanks to Progressive's carpet-bombing TV and online marketing. Flo has been embedded in our collective media minds for the last six years on screen, in print, on Facebook with more than 5 million likes and copious websites including "Dress Like Flo," which includes a navy headband, perky wig and a "Flo as zombie" video. Oh yeah.

A little background: Flo is actress Stephanie Courtney, a veteran of L.A.'s improv scene, episodic TV and movies who started the insurance ads in 2008. She has a career most TV commercial actors would die for: a steady gig, a contract and salary reported to be $500,000 a year. 

And because TV Flo doesn't look like real Stephanie, the actress should not be hampered by overexposure or identification with these ads -- leaving her free to pursue other parts when this gig is over.

Sponsored Links

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:28am
They've been brandishing that box at us for a while now, presumably as a "if you keep complaining about Flo, THIS is what you get" kind of thing. I guess they're really thinking of making good on their threat.
Alex View Drop Down
Spammer to be deleted
Spammer to be deleted

Donathan. Report posts for deletion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:38am
The fiends, subjecting us to that creepy box!
JeromeCharles View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeromeCharles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 8:45am
I mute those ads whenever they come on now. I cannot stand her!
LooseCaboose View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LooseCaboose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 10:20pm
And yet, Progressive thinks the talking box is any better lol.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 10:39pm
I WILL miss her, if we end up with more of that aggrivatinglly annoying box!

He irritates me to no end!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Traxan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traxan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 6:52pm
Lately it seems like the emphasis is shifting to the Two Stooges from the competitor company.
MrPink View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 2:01am
Originally posted by LooseCaboose LooseCaboose wrote:

they don't have to pay the box a 1/2 million dollars a year. Ouch
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 2:22am
Originally posted by MrPink MrPink wrote:

Originally posted by LooseCaboose LooseCaboose wrote:

they don't have to pay the box a 1/2 million dollars a year. Ouch

I'm sure progressive could find a young, pretty, talented, aspiring actress for 10% of that. Toss the box in the recycle bin where it belongs.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 5:51pm
Flo leaving? Michael Buffer's assault on the ears is all over the TV now - the worst in TV history. And she's right below this message in an internet ad with a smiling face. I won't miss her. 
I've shown that 2005 Progressive ad in a couple of threads, now THAT one is way better. I think I still remember that ad after 9 years.

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 11:10pm
I have to play this song...

Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 11:15pm
Neeehhh...Flo ain't goin' nowhere - the adclams just have 'Spring Fever' and their minds aren't into it. Think GEICO is leaning on their second-hand gecko ad support, for a bit.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
TheRoomFerret View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRoomFerret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 3:54am
and who dresses like that?God,its' not as if she is so unnatractive that she needs all of that make up.Is she really worried that people would recognize her in public?
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 4:13am
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

I have to play this song...

Great one.  I also like this one, replacing "Earl" with "Flo."  WE NEED A BREAK!

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 11:31pm
Confused I don't get it. What are you saying "Goodbye" for? The article suggests her screen time may be diminishing, but it doesn't mean we're "rid of" her anytime soon.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by TheRoomFerret TheRoomFerret wrote:

and who dresses like that?God,its' not as if she is so unnatractive that she needs all of that make up.Is she really worried that people would recognize her in public?
I believe the character design is based off a recent (Or recent when the ads started, not sure how the style has aged...) style that's supposed to be a hybrid of rockabilly/pin-up style hair and make-up, often contrasted with modern-looking piercings and tattoos.

Obviously in a uniform we only see the facial aspect of this, but I do think that's the look she was going for.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 1:06am
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

LOLTWolf, our youngest daughter, has been a huge 'Dixie Chicks' fan since she could first say the the name of the band (and they are genuinely GREAT)...thanks Em - just what I needed, this evening!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRoomFerret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 2:36am
so who is going to replace Flo? The former secretary of HHS?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 2:39am

Originally posted by TheRoomFerret TheRoomFerret wrote:

so who is going to replace Flo? The former secretary of HHS?

Sebelius??  Well, she is a "progressive".

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRoomFerret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 2:41am
well either her, or Nancy Pelosi, hey maybe even Lois?
Will They Ever Make A Funny Auto Insurance Commercial?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 2:46am

Lois isn't bad.  But please---no Pelosi!!  Yikes.  She's so old, she should probably be on the monthly car insurance payment plan.

Actually, I can't even imagine she drives.  I'll bet she has her own driver.

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRoomFerret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 2:48am
OH, I forgot that u cant apply that kind of white base make up on an 80yr old women with Botox,it will just crumble off.
Will They Ever Make A Funny Auto Insurance Commercial?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic