Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Navy- Amy Poehler (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Navy- Amy Poehler (video)
    Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 3:06pm
I really can't post it over in the hate section. This one is much like the airport security ad.
I don't know who the heck Amy Poehler is, prolly from some show I don't watch like 30 Rock.
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I really can't post it over in the hate section. This one is much like the airport security ad.
I don't knowwho the heck Amy Poehler is, prolly from some show I don't watch like 30 Rock.

Amy Pohler is a former SNL cast member from the Tina Fey era. She's been on 30 Rock as a guest, but the show she stars in is called Parks and Recreation.

A very good show, actually, & one I'm sure you would like if for no other reason than the character Ron Swanson....

Great character. The actor who plays him is Nick Offerman.

He's married to Megan Mullally & he's like this amazing expert woodworker. Builds canoes & stuff.

Funny show.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:07pm
^  I like that guy. I'll have to try to catch an episode or 10.
I have a package of bacon that is too lean, I have used only 1/3 of the package.
I bought some this morning, unlike with almost any other meats, bacon is better if it's all fat.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:12pm

Didn't she do a Steven Colbert sort of character for awhile---i.e., fake interviews of various people in the news?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:15pm

^  I like that guy. I'll have to try to catch an episode or 10.
I have a package of bacon that is too lean, I have used only 1/3 of the package.
I bought some this morning, unlike with almost any other meats, bacon is better if it's all fat.

I figured you'd like him.

If you watch the show, try to go back towards the beginning.

Great writing & characters.

Amy Pohler plays the Director of Parks and Recreation for the fictional town of Pawnee, which I think is in Indiana.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Didn't she do a Steven Colbert sort of character for awhile---i.e., fake interviews of various people in the news?

Don't recall anything like that.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:35pm

I could be thinking of Ana Gasteyer on SNL.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:44pm
Yeah, I think she may have done something like that.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:49pm

Gasteyer also did the Martha Stewart Topless Christmas Special on SNL.  Funniest thing.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 5:00pm
Yeah, & she also did the NPR radio show spoof, one episode of which was the now infamous Alec Baldwin "Schweddy Balls" sketch.

F#ck YouTube.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inl700-j_7M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 5:03pm

I remember that.  Good stuff.  Funny how I know more of Gasteyer's stuff than I do Poehler's---but Poehler's the one who seems to have made it bigger in show biz.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 5:14pm
Poehler is successful because she created & wrote a hit TV show.

Just like Fey was the creator of 30 Rock.

I guess Gasteyer was only a performer.

Or maybe she's married to some wealthy, successful producer or something, so she possibly doesn't need to work.

C'mon, man!
ADamant View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADamant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 5:39pm
I think Gasteyer still has a small role on Suburgatory, and she has done some Broadway and other stage work.

As for the commercial... reminds me of the over-friendly TSA agent and the jeans. But I admit, I did smile when I saw this one. But when it aired for the 10th time in a 2-hour span of watching TV last night, I started grimacing more and more when it came on. It was getting too long and drawn out for me.
*WARNING* This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 5:42pm
My question re: the ad was, who wears jeans to a job interview at a law firm?

Although, with a pooter like that girl's, it would likely be a plus.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 6:18pm
Mmmmmmmm!    Good Cracker!!!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I don't knowwho the heck Amy Poehler is, prolly from some show I don't watch like 30 Rock.

Amy Pohler is a former SNL cast member from the Tina Fey era. She's been on 30 Rock as a guest, but the show she stars in is called Parks and Recreation.

A very good show, actually, & one I'm sure you would like if for no other reason than the character Ron Swanson....

Great character. The actor who plays him is Nick Offerman.

Swanson is great. I've posted the "bacon and eggs" bit on a few other sites myself.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 6:52pm
More fun with Amy and Old Navy, more long, tall women with the finest fannies they could ffffind. Big smile

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 1:19pm
BTW I was watching Parks & Recreation on the flight home, I've never laughed so hard in my life!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 2:52pm

Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

BTW I was watching Parks & Recreation on the flight home, I've never laughed so hard in my life!

I watched it once.  I remember thinking it needed a laughtrack so that I'd know what was supposed to be funny.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 6:15pm

I watched it once.  I remember thinking it needed a laughtrack so that I'd know what was supposed to be funny.

I watched part of it last month. I could only stand about 15 minutes. It reminded me of "New Girl". I could only endure 10 minutes of that nonsense. I don't think a laugh track would help. I would end up confused as to what was being laughed at.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 11:10pm

When did you watch it? The first season was really shaky, and I was honestly surprised it kept going. But the following few seasons were a riot. Lately unfortunately they seem to have burned out again.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 3:21am

It was a few years ago, and I usually just watch comedies in syndication, so it might very well have been from that first season.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 3:48am

Your favorite show The Big Bang Theory, on the other hand, does have one of those, to help the viewers figure out what's supposed to be funny.

Doesn't seem to work for me though. The couple of times I've attempted to watch it, the laugh track didn't help at all.

I still didn't know what was supposed to be funny. Wink

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 3:59am
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

When did you watch it? The first season was really shaky, and I was honestly surprised it kept going. But the following few seasons were a riot. Lately unfortunately they seem to have burned out again.

True.

I remember kind of turning my nose up at it the first season, referring to it as "The Govt. Office", in reference to my opinion that it was just a ripoff of The Office, only set in the offices of a local govt rather than a corporation. I figured it would be gone after one season if it even lasted that long. Plus, I didn't much care for Amy Poehler even while she was on SNL.

When it came on the second season, I could tell that it had improved vastly, they had added some new characters that were very amusingly quirky & I began to look forward to watching it every week.

Not surprising though, that the two avowed conservatives here would hate a sitcom about about (1) a woman who (2) loves, believes in & lives for government.

Even though they make her the butt of as many jokes as anyone & a lot of the comedy comes out of how her best laid plans for govt some govt endeavor, usually fall flat on their ass.

But to each their own.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 4:01am

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Your favorite show The Big Bang Theory, on the other hand, does have one of those, to help the viewers figure out what's supposed to be funny.

Doesn't seem to work for me though. The couple of times I've attempted to watch it, the laugh track didn't help at all.

I still didn't know what was supposed to be funny. Wink

Well, 3 million viewers for Parks and Rec, compared to 18 million viewers for Big Bang Theory in 2013, tells me more people "get" BBT's humor than they do Parks and Rec's.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic